Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fast and ok skills.

But the football related problem solving speed of a slug.

I’m actually not that sure he is fast anymore. Sure he used to be but it feels like he’s got slower every year. Maybe he is just a little above average now which makes him look like the flash in our side.

He doesn’t seem to leave guys in his wake anymore like he did in his first few seasons. Against Carlton, might have been the third quarter he took possession between half back and wing with nothing but cut grass and brown/weitering between him and the goals. He didn’t even take one bounce but he could have taken three and probably had a shot. Instead he kicks it after a 10 meter dash, with brown running back to goal and weitering leaving his man and marking the 45 meter kick, by himself at half back.

Sure the reluctance to have a few bounces may have been a poor choice, but it says a lot about a player when they are scared to use their biggest weapon.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m actually not that sure he is fast anymore. Sure he used to be but it feels like he’s got slower every year. Maybe he is just a little above average now which makes him look like the flash in our side.

He doesn’t seem to leave guys in his wake anymore like he did in his first few seasons. Against Carlton, might have been the third quarter he took possession between half back and wing with nothing but cut grass and brown/weitering between him and the goals. He didn’t even take one bounce but he could have taken three and probably had a shot. Instead he kicks it after a 10 meter dash, with brown running back to goal and weitering leaving his man and marking the 45 meter kick, by himself at half back.

Sure the reluctance to have a few bounces may have been a poor choice, but it says a lot about a player when they are scared to use their biggest weapon.
That was awful wasn’t it. I saw him get the ball and even with the garbage camera angles etc you could see we were “on” here.
I was screaming, “Go! Go! Go!” and then that happened. Infuriating

That was awful wasn’t it. I saw him get the ball and even with the garbage camera angles etc you could see we were “on” here.
I was screaming, “Go! Go! Go!” and then that happened. Infuriating

I made the same comment on here after the game. 200 odd games and we still get decision making like this. It's just not good enough.

I made the same comment on here after the game. 200 odd games and we still get decision making like this. It's just not good enough.

I would wager that Atley's career highlights reel will consist of some brilliant outcomes when he has had to execute immediately. There will be nothing where he's had time to think and create.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geez we all come for this bloke when he has some ordinary moments. He was clean AF today. I don’t reckon he made an error did he? Was involved in quite a few of our goal chains too. *

*iPad won’t play GR’s goals vids...am basing this off memory. :rolleyes::drunk:

5B9477DC-555C-4B00-BB5F-7533F39925CD.jpeg

With 0 turnovers

Solid three weeks he’s put together.

I just hate that we again wait till s**t hits the fan for the penny to drop.
It’s almost like we need to start 3 games behind everyone else so we try harder.

That perform when under siege mentality crept in even after we won in round1 and post lockdown. I don’t get this group.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Geez we all come for this bloke when he has some ordinary moments. He was clean AF today. I don’t reckon he made an error did he? Was involved in quite a few of our goal chains too. *

*iPad won’t play GR’s goals vids...am basing this off memory. :rolleyes::drunk:

He did some good things and some trademark play chain stoppers from split second indecision. Overall a quality showing.

He's not a Stevo or Swallow who is going to produce much in poor team games. But when the unit is up and about and everyone is on the move he gels nicely.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd omit him.

No I'm not saying he's s**t etc, but on last night's game as well as a rest he should be out.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For a bloke that has played 200 games, he still plays like a rookie.

The Miers goal where he roved the ruck contest and Atley was left flat footed.

Inexcusable mistake for an experienced player.

We need clever players....players that dont have brain fades 20m in front of goal.

The problem is, North hold onto players for too long. Atley should have been traded out 5 years ago.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
For a bloke that has played 200 games, he still plays like a rookie.

The Miers goal where he roved the ruck contest and Atley was left flat footed.

Inexcusable mistake for an experienced player.

We need clever players....players that dont have brain fades 20m in front of goal.

The problem is, North hold onto players for too long. Atley should have been traded out 5 years ago.

He's the poster child for our last 10 years. An average player, decent enough on his day, who hasn't really developed but has become an automatic selection and played 200 games.

Not Shaun's fault and he's certainly a competent AFL footballer most of the time but the bar isn't all that high.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's the poster child for our last 10 years. An average player, decent enough on his day, who hasn't really developed but has become an automatic selection and played 200 games.

Not Shaun's fault and he's certainly a competent AFL footballer most of the time but the bar isn't all that high.

I agree with your comment.

And I think that is the reason NMFC has failed to achieve the ultimate success for 2 decades.

We accept ok performances and the occasional brilliant game and that is good enough.

Look at LMac, he was certainly headed down the Atley path....

But he has pulled his finger out and gone to the next level, in 2020.

I hope it continues....

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll miss it when Atley retires in 2032 with 500 games.......

......those routine exciting moments where get it, takes off somewhere with purpose, stops, then retreats and turns around and passes back to a player in a worse position than when he initially received the ball to start with.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll miss it when Atley retires in 2032 with 500 games.......

......those routine exciting moments where get it, takes off somewhere with purpose, stops, then retreats and turns around and passes back to a player in a worse position than when he initially received the ball to start with.

What about those moments in transition out of defense when he takes a mark on the half-back flank, has no one in front of him and thinks of using his pace to streak down the wing but thinks better of it and waits for an opponent to man the mark, before proceeding to kick it up and under down the line.

Back