Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

that was one of his better disposals, the one where he kicked it into the oppo players back was pure comedy.

Check out the frustration on Scott (screen lower left) just after he gut ran to a clear position to create an option and then this and has to run into the square to pressure the suns player with the ball., these are the actions that simply kill any momentum as well as burning tickets.

Last edited:
I feel for Shaun because the serial shitcanners make some horrendously ridiculous judgements about him, but last night he earned it, and boy are they all falling over each other to justify themselves today.

The problem with continually criticizing a footballer is that eventually you will be correct, even if its Wayne Carey.
In peoples defense they have had 200 plus games to critisize this bloke. iam not saying its all warranted but but its not like a bloke with that much experience is beyond criticism.

I feel for Shaun because the serial shitcanners make some horrendously ridiculous judgements about him, but last night he earned it, and boy are they all falling over each other to justify themselves today.

The problem with continually criticizing a footballer is that eventually you will be correct, even if its Wayne Carey.

Meanwhile you are happy to shitcan the coach after 2 games.

And went all out verbal assault on last year's coach after his only full season.

Currently getting stuck into Zurhaar, Simpkin and Tarryn Thomas.

Atley's unacceptable performance level became apparent three or four years ago, but you keep giving him excuses.

Anyone notice Oleg Markov’s run and carry? At least on 4 seperate occasions he started a chain of posession across half back and followed up to be involved again across half forward.

Very rare we see that follow up work from Atley. Stops, stutters, kicks long down the line and that’s it. Frustrating footballer.
And you know the player on our list who attacks the corridor with those Markov-type runs?

His name be: Atu

Anyone notice Oleg Markov’s run and carry? At least on 4 seperate occasions he started a chain of posession across half back and followed up to be involved again across half forward.

Very rare we see that follow up work from Atley. Stops, stutters, kicks long down the line and that’s it. Frustrating footballer.

Agree but that’s also on the forwards for not following him up.

i would rather none, honestly we are never going anywhere with these types, Dumont for mine is one that is missed, he has limitations but from hard work has really forged himself into a consistant hard working player.
Yes agree “vanilla” Dumont is good 👍
You know what u are gonna get with him . Week in week out

Yep, I'll give him that, he was definitely better in the second half. But that first half was unacceptable and it presents a perfect early opportunity for the new coaching staff to set some clearly defined standards with a young group. He has to go.
That’s just it with this useless Deer in the headlights Atley !
He’s sucking you in like he’s sucked everyone in for the last 216 games ! Yes 216 games !!!
He has what you can politely say the most putrid first half I can remember from an experienced north senior player , (mind you , not much different to any other game - his turnovers, undecided go to the left go to right , Prop , go backwards & ah bugger it kick it long to an opponent, or hand ball the hot potatoe to a team mate )
Now you are saying “ he had a better second half”?
tick ✅ automatic selection for next weeks game 👍
Wash , rinse dry ... repeat

That’s just it with this useless Deer in the headlights Atley !
He’s sucking you in like he’s sucked everyone in for the last 216 games ! Yes 216 games !!!
He has what you can politely say the most putrid first half I can remember from an experienced north senior player , (mind you , not much different to any other game - his turnovers, undecided go to the left go to right , Prop , go backwards & ah bugger it kick it long to an opponent, or hand ball the hot potatoe to a team mate )
Now you are saying “ he had a better second half”?
tick ✅ automatic selection for next weeks game 👍
Wash , rinse dry ... repeat
Lol did you miss the rest of the post? I said his first half was unacceptable and he should be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The strange part is he puts in the effort, gets to the right spots without the ball and I'm pretty sure took a decent number of grabs last night.

But from the moment he gets the ball onwards things fall apart.

The strange part is he puts in the effort, gets to the right spots without the ball and I'm pretty sure took a decent number of grabs last night.

But from the moment he gets the ball onwards things fall apart.

Agree. He might prove to be the weathervane for our rebuild, though. He is constantly trying to create rebound - constantly. Without any success, thus far.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ats finally broke me last night. His kicking and decision making just isn’t up to it. He played decent footy across half forward a couple of season back, maybe it’s worth another go? At least he can help with the forward pressure and defensive running. He might even be a good lead-up target with his speed.

Time to see what Atu can do.

I know.

My comment wasn't at you - more how on earth has he played so many games when he fundamentally is a very flawed footballer and a liability.

Well because he was good average player during an era when we were mostly a good average Team.

Now he’s been exposed in a weak team because his good average as an experienced player doesn’t cut it.

That's a pretty important part of being a footballer at any level mate.......
We can recruit as many high end draft picks as you like . But as long as we have club killers like Atley at the club . We will never improve. The senior players set the required expectations & standards at any good club ,
Just look at the Tigs alone . What do you reckon kids like Powell , Lazzaro , Phillips & the rest of what looks like good Potential talent say to themselves when they see Atley (216 gamer) continually chop it up but continue to get selected week in week out ?!

I know.

My comment wasn't at you - more how on earth has he he played so many games when he fundamentally is a very flawed footballer and a liability.
It's heart. He wants to be out there, and he will still have a crack and take a risk even if the last 9 times he messed up. Many more talented guys have crashed out because they don't have that drive.

Damn shame for him that his composure isn't up to scratch, because he definitely tries.

Fwiw I think he's a forward personally. We really wasted years on trying to make everyone a half back flanker

It's heart. He wants to be out there, and he will still have a crack and take a risk even if the last 9 times he messed up. Many more talented guys have crashed out because they don't have that drive.

Damn shame for him that his composure isn't up to scratch, because he definitely tries.

Fwiw I think he's a forward personally. We really wasted years on trying to make everyone a half back flanker

He's also durable. Hurt his ankle last night and hobbled about for a bit, but play on, all good (or seemingly so) a few minutes later. He's very hard to take out of the side with injury, in an injury plagued last few years. How many has it been? I feel like I can't even remember a year when we weren't plagued by injury. I think it all started in May 2016.

Anyway, the best footy I've seen him play is when he's streaming out of packs into the Forward fifty, and either setting up another player or kicking the goal himself. It's the only time he doesn't stop to second guess or think. I think it'd be worth it to try him Forward again, especially with the holes we've got up there right now.

Not sure I recall him ever being dumped to the seconds? Regardless Id imagine the coaches philosophy is a simple one......in a team getting smashed by 50 points does he deserve his spot and who takes it if he doesnt? If theres a better choice then regardless of how many games the guy has played if hasnt earnt it then replace him.

Not sure I recall him ever being dumped to the seconds? Regardless Id imagine the coaches philosophy is a simple one......in a team getting smashed by 50 points does he deserve his spot and who takes it if he doesnt? If theres a better choice then regardless of how many games the guy has played if hasnt earnt it then replace him.
He was dropped in 2015. He came back well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back