Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to see some signs "Ats" has turned the corner. Like a lot of us, I believe "Ats" best footy is ahead of him, which, when you think about it, is bloody scary. 27 touches vs Gold Coast - BANG!!! The Suns had no answer for him & I'm sensing the Bulldogs will analyse his game to an inch of its life.

Not going to improve too much, turf him out when given the chance.

Him and ziebell are the last of the relics of brad scott era, i.e. servicable but lacking class.

Atu will make it as the lightning quick running defender, young, hayden the medium sized rangey modern defender. Mackay is establishing so very encouraging. Need to get another keyback around 22-24. Mcdonald rounds out the premiership back 6.

Likely saved by the lack of experience on our list and get another year. Perez's injury gives him no competition for the position.

Hall and Tyson are in the gun before him frankly, and I am not sure we can afford to turf all three of them with our list profile.

The new game plan exposes Atleys flaws but he's working very hard and could be good further up the ground. He's actually in career best form statistically.

Not sure we can drop a senior body either - I'd push him forward and Zurhaar back. Zurhaar in much worse form than Ats, try and tune both to this new game plan.

Get Cam in the action and limit Astley's clanger damage but maximise his possession and work rate which is career best.

View attachment 1088226View attachment 1088228
Staggering really. Doing so much right but then capable of undoing most of it with persistent clangers and turnovers.

Last edited:
Staggering really. Doing so much right but then capable of undoing most of it with persistent clangers and turnovers.

it sure is and it’s driving us all bonkers.

it was slightly less of an issue when we were kicking down the line.
But now kicking down the middle, on the 45 degrees etc - well, big trouble!

However if we can shift his heat map up to the forward 50 in this new game plan - a stuffed kick will be as good as anything currently on offer and he might hit a few;)

We need to get back to basics with Shaun, I'd also make a change and put him in the forward line. Then tell him you have 3 things to do:

- See ball.
- Get ball.
- Kick the f**king thing through the goals.

Also, don't try and be fancy, don't try and do some shitty little pass to someone that you'll more than likely f**k up anyway. If you get the ball inside 50, then you as a senior player role is to kick a goal!

Will say this, I don't doubt guys like Shaun give their all, but when senior players are known for making costly mistakes through various chunks of their career, it's hard to inspire the younger players and develop them when they're making fundamental mistakes.

Conversely, he's a victim of poor development himself.

Development, confidence in yourself and the game gameplan (which changed on a dime) were non existent through Brad.

Until we move on most of the list under Brad, we're going to see more of the same.

At 200 games though, he's not taking the next step.

It's a shame because he has it in him to be a game breaker, but like Daniel Wells, just doesn't have the mongrel in him to want to burn the opposition.

Will say this, I don't doubt guys like Shaun give their all, but when senior players are known for making costly mistakes through various chunks of their career, it's hard to inspire the younger players and develop them when they're making fundamental mistakes.

Conversely, he's a victim of poor development himself.

Development, confidence in yourself and the game gameplan (which changed on a dime) were non existent through Brad.

Until we move on most of the list under Brad, we're going to see more of the same.

At 200 games though, he's not taking the next step.

It's a shame because he has it in him to be a game breaker, but like Daniel Wells, just doesn't have the mongrel in him to want to burn the opposition.

I don't think it's a case of mongrel, or a lack of want. Dermie of all people maybe said it best during the game, though it was a generalised comment about us: His legs are faster than his brain.

For whatever reason I think his greatest sin is indecision, with a propensity to rush his disposal if it's not the first choice. The stopping and propping, the fine looking kicks that just go nowhere, the handballs to an opponent under the pump. I just don't think he's a particularly good decision maker, and everything else just flows on from there. I think someone commented that he looks over coached, a Robot acting to instruction. I think that just stems from not necessarily having good instinctive decision making, so he just heavily plays to instruction.

There's also a few genuine shanks as well, but considering most guys who run as hard as he does usually have one or two per game I don't give them too much heed.

It's sad to see a 200 game player still make the same types of errors, but it is what it is. Almost anyone who could put pressure for his spot on him is injured, and other than those disposal/decision errors he's actually having a (statistically) great season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe needs a stint at half forward again. Had 11 turnovers last week but he wasn’t the only culprit. We can’t blame our misfortunes on one player
Yep....the turnovers dont bother me ...have a look at the list of top turnovers for last year.......Dusty Gaff Petracca Danger etc...he is getting the pill and his bounce stats put him in the top 10 for past 10 years. His rebound 50s are solid. The club might not see an issue.

If Noble MUST play him, throw him forward. I came across this:

First goal.. 17 secs.. he takes the game on with confidence and kicks a ripper. Utilize his speed and aggression in the forward line.. what do we have to lose? Play Menadue or pump games into Patrick Walker at HB.

Garner getting on the park would help things a bit too.....geez he's been a wasted talent, unlucky etc.

The next 'Judd' they said...

And didn’t we give him every chance in the midfield 🤦‍♂️ ........ where he bloody belonged the whole time.
Brad Scott no lubed him into the backman he never should have been and he’s still played well for us over the years.

North struggles to develop talent and he is no different.

And didn’t we give him every chance in the midfield 🤦‍♂️ ........ where he bloody belonged the whole time.
Brad Scott no lubed him into the backman he never should have been and he’s still played well for us over the years.

North struggles to develop talent and he is no different.

Whilst I'm critical of his weekly errors, I agree that this has played its part in what he is today. They trialled him with the mids for one preseason and then gave up when he didn't dominate. Should have persisted with him in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back