The Ultimate Fighter 18 - Team Rousey v Team Tate

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I might get the discussion going seeing it is going to be a massive evolution in the competition.
  • For the first time we will see women both in the competition
  • We will also see women as coaches.
  • We will also see both males & females in the house for the first time
Really trying to push the recent exposure & resulting success of the introduction of women into the UFC (Well Rousey anyway)

What are peoples thoughts?

We all know what Joe Rogan thinks. :confused:

I think it should be pretty good. As long as they can get enough good female fighters (and male fighters too I suppose) to put on some good fights it'll be good. Probably going to be some stupid crap in the house shown at times which I don't really want to see.

Season 17 doesn't seem to have had any really crazy stuff happening in the house. I prefer that to the previous season where we had the "let me bang" pink mohawk guy (I forget his name) doing stupid s**t all the time.

Hopefully Tate opposes Rousey as a coach because the hatred between those too can get pretty intense.

Hopefully Tate opposes Rousey as a coach because the hatred between those too can get pretty intense.

lol I got my wish but as far as the fight goes I'm a little disappointed.

I wonder where cat will fall in the pecking list when she returns of course tate will be dispatched will she fall behind the others and have to prove herself again ?
I hope its like Wideman & others who maintain their ranking as #1 contender despite injury.

She'll get her shot, the injury just cost her massive exposure & no doubt lucrative endorsements too.

I hope its like Wideman & others who maintain their ranking as #1 contender despite injury.

She'll get her shot, the injury just cost her massive exposure & no doubt lucrative endorsements too.
I dont know only because how new the divison is alot can happen in quite a few fights, you got davis and mcmann on the prowl too

Bleacher report is saying that Zingano is promised a shot as soon as she recovers, we all know how much that promise is worth (look at Hendo). FWIW i think Rousey will take to this like a duck to water, seems to have a really good outlook on life, is very genuine and has alot of experience in teaching Judokas etc. The UFC gets there villain in Tate. I wonder how she and Caraway (who will no doubt be involved) will be portrayed. They are just so unlikeable, between the rumours of him elbowing Zingano at the weigh ins and her coaching him in his second last fight (just coast baby) they really are the bad guys in this. Also interesting that reports are saying Zinganos injury wasn't reported to Rousey or anyone until the day filming started.

Also interesting that reports are saying Zinganos injury wasn't reported to Rousey or anyone until the day filming started.

I hadn't heard this.... should make for an explosive start to the season!

I'm stoked for the women to get their chance to shine and the extra spice with Meisha being involved will add another element to the show. Shattered for Kat, but injuries happen. She's young enough and talented enough to hopefully get back to a title shot in the not too distant future.

I'm interested by everyone completely writing off Tate in the rematch with Ronda. Yes she had her arm broken in the last fight, but it was a terrific back and forth round where Tate had her share of good positions as well. I would expect Rousey to win, but I doubt it will be as easy as everyone is thinking.

I hadn't heard this.... should make for an explosive start to the season!

I'm stoked for the women to get their chance to shine and the extra spice with Meisha being involved will add another element to the show. Shattered for Kat, but injuries happen. She's young enough and talented enough to hopefully get back to a title shot in the not too distant future.

I'm interested by everyone completely writing off Tate in the rematch with Ronda. Yes she had her arm broken in the last fight, but it was a terrific back and forth round where Tate had her share of good positions as well. I would expect Rousey to win, but I doubt it will be as easy as everyone is thinking.

"Rousey did not know that Zingano was injured – UFC president Dana White said it had been a tightly kept company secret since Zingano injured her right knee during a May 16 workout – or that Tate had been brought in to replace her, until the opening scenes of the show were filmed on Tuesday.
When Tate came out, Rousey was clearly stunned and she stormed out of the UFC training center, searching for White. She later said she was angry because she thought Tate was replacing her."
Not sure how true it all is.​
On the last fight Tate had her back but that was it.​
They came out throwing haymakers and Tate was taken down within 10 seconds Ronda went straight into side control and had her first armbar attempt (which was fairly solid) inside a minute. Tate got her back only because Rousey couldn't quite sink the armbar in and never really looked like mounting offence, they stood Rousey got another takedown, they stood, Ronda had that beautiful throw, took mount, got the armbar and broke it. Rousey is super aggresive and throwing up submission attempts does leave you vulnerable but if Carmouche couldn't get the choke in their fight i doubt Tate will. Rousey by 1st round armbar will Probably paying $1.01 by the time fight week rolls around.​
Anyway the ladies always go hard, like they have alot to prove, should be good.​

She later said she was angry because she thought Tate was replacing her.

:confused: I have no idea how she could possibly have thought that.

Rousey is super aggresive and throwing up submission attempts does leave you vulnerable but if Carmouche couldn't get the choke in their fight i doubt Tate will.

I don't know about that. I'd say Tate has a far better submission game than Carmouche. Submitting Coenen is an impressive accomplishment.

I'm just so underwhelmed with the fight now. With Zingano we had a fresh challenger and even though she probably would have lost early by armbar I was really interested in that fight. Now we've got Tate who since losing to Rousey has almost been knocked out by Kedzie then got finished by Zingano. Having said that, I'm not completely writing Tate off. I think Rousey will likely win but don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This aired in the US after the Glover vs Bader card, but we didnt get it here, did we? I don't see anything on Fuel or Fox Sports...

Aired on FX in Australia at 4:30pm

Can't wait till the Rousey nerds with arm bar and choke S&M fantasies realise she's actually the most annoying, pretend and downright painful person in world sports.

In world sports? I have no doubt she is an insufferable bitch but thats a big call.

You're right, of course.

But she's doing her best to get there.

There is no way I can bring myself to side with Tate and especially Caraway. Ronda can come across intense but at least she has good sportsmanship unlike Tate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back