Roast 18 years of no Grand Final appearances - proven finals failures

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait until Richmond rise from nowhere to make a GF next year and leave us as the only club to not make one since 98.
(do I still need to add "other than the new expansion clubs" ?) :p

Richmond are officially one step closer to a grand final than us.

Why? Because they've made the hard call and decided to bottom out and rebuild.

Richmond are officially one step closer to a grand final than us.

Why? Because they've made the hard call and decided to bottom out and rebuild.

If we bottomed out. You would be the very first and extremely loud and obnoxious in calling for the coach, captain (traded), CEO, Chairman, board members and everyone else to be sacked as we are not trying to win a premiership.

If we bottomed out. You would be the very first and extremely loud and obnoxious in calling for the coach, captain (traded), CEO, Chairman, board members and everyone else to be sacked as we are not trying to win a premiership.

Bottoming out is how you win a premiership.

Is it though?

Did Hawthorn bottom out between 2008 and 2013?
Did Sydney bottom out between 2005 and 2012?

Don't have to do it

Urm do you realize that the core of the Hawks premiership list is made up of top 5 draft picks including a number of priority picks?

Urm do you realize that the core of the Hawks premiership list is made up of top 5 draft picks including a number of priority picks?
My point is, they re-generated half their best 22 after 2008 with traded in players (Lake, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Frawley, Gunston) and draft picks (Smith, Puopolo, Hill, Breust, Shiels, Duryea).

My point is, they re-generated half their best 22 after 2008 with traded in players (Lake, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Frawley, Gunston) and draft picks (Smith, Puopolo, Hill, Breust, Shiels, Duryea).
Happy if we do that after we win a flag. Getting the first one is what we have to work out

Happy if we do that after we win a flag. Getting the first one is what we have to work out
Yep agree. Get Rockliff, Gibbs and Edwards in the next two years, which sets us up for a genuine tilt in the next two years, as well as maybe a tilt in around 2021-odd. By that time, Betts, Jenkins, Jacobs will be long gone, so we need to find replacements for them at some point

None of which would have been possibly without the backbone that their bottoming out gave them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today has made me angry because it's confirmed this year as another missed opportunity.

We have enough of a form line to establish who doesn't perform in finals. Mark a permanent line through their name and get blokes who can handle finals pressure.

If a bloke is on the decline, delist him. The dogs have old blokes but each and every one of them is still performing. We can't say that about our mature agers.

This club needs to grow some aggotts

Is it though?

Did Hawthorn bottom out between 2008 and 2013?
Did Sydney bottom out between 2005 and 2012?

Don't have to do it
The reality is that if you want to consitantly make GFs you have to load up on top end talent.
Hawthorn did this through multiple top 5 draft picks.
Geelong did it through bottoming out and loading up on cheap quality father sons.
Sydney were rubbish for a long time and had top draft picks and some good trading. Now they have access to top academy picks cheap.
GWS have loaded up on top draft picks and have their academy to pick the eyes out of at a discount.
Western Bulldogs have bottomed out and loaded up on top draft picks and father son picks.

Watch Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood and maybe Gold Coast shoot past us with the amount of young talent they have brought in.

Reality sucks.

The main lesson for Adelaide is that the Grand Final was between 2 teams that adjusted their strategy depending upon what their opponent was going to do and won by a team that was forced to go to a 'plan B' due to missing players*.

*and also a team that was refreshed by the pre-final bye that was incepted largely based on Adelaide's whining last year

Last edited:
The reality is that if you want to consitantly make GFs you have to load up on top end talent.
Hawthorn did this through multiple top 5 draft picks.
Geelong did it through bottoming out and loading up on cheap quality father sons.
Sydney were rubbish for a long time and had top draft picks and some good trading. Now they have access to top academy picks cheap.
GWS have loaded up on top draft picks and have their academy to pick the eyes out of at a discount.
Western Bulldogs have bottomed out and loaded up on top draft picks and father son picks.

Watch Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood and maybe Gold Coast shoot past us with the amount of young talent they have brought in.

Reality sucks.
To be fair, the Dogs had an incredible strike rate with rookie picks too

Does anyone really think going into next year with similar personnel and similar approaches will deliver a different outcome?
I think there will be some improvement simply by having 12 months experience and another preseason under Pyke's game plan - especially defensively

However I don't think the quality and intensity of our midfield can compete with the best teams, regardless of game plan. Need some new personnel in there and a change in mindset

I'm probably the most depressed about supporting us tonight than I have ever been. The ******* Dogs just won a flag before us FFS. The Dogs, a s**t club who hadnt won a flag since before colour TV was invented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back