1883 - Yellowstone Origin.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Elsa love story of devastation in one episode to falling in love with the Indian two episodes later? And then turning Indian spiritual. The absurdity of the love making scene in the middle of a killer Tornado was probably the worst of that stretch of episodes.

Some of the shootouts also featured the same actors who played Storm Troopers. Close range but miss, but our heroes close range and dead eye.

But yeh, overall it was great viewing but I don’t think it was start to finish first class storytelling
In those days looking at stories of the real times, and real people, those who were lost in the new world and took to crime were dead beats no one close, just other criminals, those who led people thousands of miles were generally people who knew the life, the danger and how to use weapons, that were, at the time, so inaccurate, that probably all the bulldust gunfights you see on TV shows were exactly that, rubbish, things were not about speed it was about calm aiming if you were lucky. and lots of killing was done from 2 or 3 feet away, or in the back.

As for the English speaking Indians I would say that after 200 or so years of European and mainly English being the first language for a time, of mixing and moving and dealing, that many Indians could speak English, you'll note in that show that the Indian women did not speak the English at all or well.
I thought the authenticity was pretty damned good, the young girl dying for about three or so episodes, was heart wrenching and very very well acted , in fact reading the stories about the actors, the young woman actress is having her birthday today 21st Nov!
She was excellent and I kept hoping they wouldn't kill her off.
But that is what happened in those times.

In those days looking at stories of the real times, and real people, those who were lost in the new world and took to crime were dead beats no one close, just other criminals, those who led people thousands of miles were generally people who knew the life, the danger and how to use weapons, that were, at the time, so inaccurate, that probably all the bulldust gunfights you see on TV shows were exactly that, rubbish, things were not about speed it was about calm aiming if you were lucky. and lots of killing was done from 2 or 3 feet away, or in the back.

As for the English speaking Indians I would say that after 200 or so years of European and mainly English being the first language for a time, of mixing and moving and dealing, that many Indians could speak English, you'll note in that show that the Indian women did not speak the English at all or well.
I thought the authenticity was pretty damned good, the young girl dying for about three or so episodes, was heart wrenching and very very well acted , in fact reading the stories about the actors, the young woman actress is having her birthday today 21st Nov!
She was excellent and I kept hoping they wouldn't kill her off.
But that is what happened in those times.
Idk whether you read my post or not but very little in your response relates to what I wrote.

Idk whether you read my post or not but very little in your response relates to what I wrote.
Well I did address my idea of how I saw it, and hired criminals were just that so the reasoning for me was perhaps those guides on those difficult journeys had to be pretty good, and I guess they were lucky, too. They took thousands of settlers across that country and lost thousands too probably.

But as for the rest of what you thought , the romance between the girl then the Comanche and the storm, I don't find fare fetched at all, in fact when discussing the show in episodes the time frames weren't set as day after day, it could be weeks later, or a few months even, so that's just my opinion of that.

As for the Indians and the English language , I did explain that, because I guessed or mis guessed you may have had a theory on language.

I assume some of the Indians in the USA had known English speaking since the 1600's and onward, the Indians that fought with the French some would speak that , and the English side those who helped them, some would speak English, as Comanches and Apaches and lots of Texas and New Mexico tribes would have spoken Spanish.

But that's my take, The Crow Indians were very much friends of English speaking soldiers, scouted for them , as they were fighting Crow enemies.
Some may have spoken better English than some of those soldiers, who were from all different backgrounds in Europe.

Well I did address my idea of how I saw it, and hired criminals were just that so the reasoning for me was perhaps those guides on those difficult journeys had to be pretty good, and I guess they were lucky, too. They took thousands of settlers across that country and lost thousands too probably.

But as for the rest of what you thought , the romance between the girl then the Comanche and the storm, I don't find fare fetched at all, in fact when discussing the show in episodes the time frames weren't set as day after day, it could be weeks later, or a few months even, so that's just my opinion of that.

As for the Indians and the English language , I did explain that, because I guessed or mis guessed you may have had a theory on language.

I assume some of the Indians in the USA had known English speaking since the 1600's and onward, the Indians that fought with the French some would speak that , and the English side those who helped them, some would speak English, as Comanches and Apaches and lots of Texas and New Mexico tribes would have spoken Spanish.

But that's my take, The Crow Indians were very much friends of English speaking soldiers, scouted for them , as they were fighting Crow enemies.
Some may have spoken better English than some of those soldiers, who were from all different backgrounds in Europe.

Again!

I did not mention anything about language or a dialect or whatever else you are extrapolating

Fair enough about the time frame

And I stand by the stupidity of the tornado scene

Again!

I did not mention anything about language or a dialect or whatever else you are extrapolating

Fair enough about the time frame

And I stand by the stupidity of the tornado scene
You get the last say, mate. I don't know , though, I thought tornados were an every year set of events,
maybe they weren't in its main swirl, who knows, that scene for me was more just suggestion.

But yep it'd be difficult , I'd be shitting myself in one of those things!

You get the last say, mate. I don't know , though, I thought tornados were an every year set of events,
maybe they weren't in its main swirl, who knows, that scene for me was more just suggestion.

But yep it'd be difficult , I'd be shitting myself in one of those things!

Going on the overall current season of Yellowstone, I would now put 1883 as a masterpiece

Looks good, hard to go wrong with Sam Elliott in a western.
Another spin off is in the works too, set in modern days like the original.

1923? Watched two episodes Prime is bringing them out 2 by 2, 1883 is a classic.

You got to love Sam Elliot, I think of, We were Soldiers he was with Mel Gibson, then I remember him in the Big Lebowski, then 1883.
He is something else that actor.

Speaking of 1923, why have Prime released it slowly, 2 eps first off then 1 ep then no.4 last week?

One thing I always appreciated was the fact that if you sign up to these things you can watch when ever what ever anytime.
Yet they restrict so much stuff. I caught the latest 1st episode of Brokenwood Mysteries, about 10 days ago now I cannot find it on fox stations only the season before last, and on my streaming channel same thing , can't find it.

I can never follow how these things operate. Why the delays when they have the product. You already pay for them, and 1983 was not made that long ago, we watched it in a week . A bit of a conglomeration of shows and deals I think ?

Speaking of 1923, why have Prime released it slowly, 2 eps first off then 1 ep then no.4 last week?

One thing I always appreciated was the fact that if you sign up to these things you can watch when ever what ever anytime.
Yet they restrict so much stuff. I caught the latest 1st episode of Brokenwood Mysteries, about 10 days ago now I cannot find it on fox stations only the season before last, and on my streaming channel same thing , can't find it.

I can never follow how these things operate. Why the delays when they have the product. You already pay for them, and 1983 was not made that long ago, we watched it in a week . A bit of a conglomeration of shows and deals I think ?

peternorth Thoughts?

1883 did the same. As do many shows on Disney, Apple, Stan etc. I would assume it's so that people maintain their subscription, and don't just sign up for a month, binge everything worth watching, then ditch the service before the next payment is due. Because that's what I'd probably do :D

1883 did the same. As do many shows on Disney, Apple, Stan etc. I would assume it's so that people maintain their subscription, and don't just sign up for a month, binge everything worth watching, then ditch the service before the next payment is due. Because that's what I'd probably do :D
I thought about that when we watched 1883,but then found some good stuff, and I added the paramount, so I guess its not that expensive you may as well stay , so we did.
But they must be saying, you smart alec , you can wait for episode five and like it!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back