List Mgmt. 19, Brodie or Clark

Who will rank top at the end of their 3rd year?

• Brodie

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Clark

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Johnson

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We had 2 significant trades in the off season resulting in former Cat, Clark, and former Sun, Brodie, joining us along with pick 19 which magically produced Mathew Johnson.

Right now I think Brodie is performing best of the 3 with Clark a little behind, and Johnson done nothing yet still managing a contract extension.

These three potentially have a defining role in the Club's future. How will their individual careers pan out for us?

I think Brodie's well in front and will likely stay that way, given his requirement to be in the middle where he's shown he can be more than just serviceable. Think its going to stay that way for Brodie. Clarke will always have a role and be handy, but I dont think he'll out shine Brodie. Johnson's a complete wildcard. We dont yet know what he's capable of at AFL level.

We had 2 significant trades in the off season resulting in former Cat, Clark, and former Sun, Brodie, joining us along with pick 19 which magically produced Mathew Johnson.

Right now I think Brodie is performing best of the 3 with Clark a little behind, and Johnson done nothing yet still managing a contract extension.

These three potentially have a defining role in the Club's future. How will their individual careers pan out for us?
I'd like to think Johnson, his footskills would really round us out nicely and he seems to have already physically developed which bodes well given his starting position.
If he can put it together on the AFL field then he has the highest potential to impact, particularly for us.

Having said that you can make a case for any of the 3, they all clearly have talent and it's over to them to get the most out of it.

Pretty exciting isn't it?

You have to expect Johnson to have the greatest impact long term. Brodies been great in the handful of games so far but he is a pretty raw footballer still. Looking forward to seeing how he goes with Fyfe back in the side.
Clark has had an ok start to his freo career. 6/10 so far this season I’d give him. Plenty of scope for improvement.
All three are quite young which is promising. Clark is the kind of guy that may not reach the peak of his career until 2028-2030 really.

Wasn't there something from the club about how they saw Will Brodie as complementary to Brayshaw and Serong due to his size and age? I reckon on current form he stays in the team even when Fyfe gets back and is a mainstay of our midfield for the next three years. Plus over the next three years he'll be entering his prime.

Clark I really like but he hasn't had the same impact to date. I think maybe he's attracted a stopper since his first game?

Johnson will be really good but I reckon this year is a writeoff for him at AFL level and he'd have to be amazing next year to catch Brodie.

I like Brodie and Clark. I think both will have great careers at Freo.

Johnson can't be rated yet but i hope he earns a debut and the discussion will be
"Draftees reranked with Johnson rated inside top 10 along with fellow Draftees Raz and Amiss."
I think they all have capacity for significant development.

Brodie is a bit of a one position option, and he seems pretty good at it. Can he build his fitness more? Can he develop a capacity for another position? Either of those things would ramp up his ratings.

Clark for me is performing below the expectations that his pre-season form built. Those were pretty high expectations mind you. The gold stars are going to others in our backline but in my own personal fantasy land a positional reshuffle will eventually release Clark's inner Krakken and he becomes an attacking nightmare from defence.

Johnson along with the one that got away (Van Rooyen) is a WA player I had on the radar for a few years. A tall skilled midfielder who I'd just assumed would be top 5ish. He's yet to debut, but I still see that same guy, and it amazes we have him sitting on ice, building his body, and getting frustrated. Getting hungry. He'll be ready for a feast when his chance comes.

I haven’t paid much attention to how Clark has defended, but I think it’s been quite good. Need to remember to judge him on that as much or more than his offensive work.

I’m going to get crazy and say I’ll wait until the end of at least one season to assess rather than after 4 games against at least three bottom 8 teams. Especially since pick 19 hasn’t even played a game.

I think they’ve both done well but there’s a lot of water to flow under this bridge. Deep breath everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it me or is Brodie on the cusp of gaining somewhat of a cult following… I think he’s surprising everyone, which isn’t really fair given his draft selection, seems like he’s only going to improve especially now that he’s gaining some belief and getting all the opportunity in the world…. the Suns proper blew his management… can’t be happier for him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m going to get crazy and say I’ll wait until the end of at least one season to assess rather than after 4 games against at least three bottom 8 teams. Especially since pick 19 hasn’t even played a game.

I think they’ve both done well but there’s a lot of water to flow under this bridge. Deep breath everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You do that. I think I put a 3 year time frame on the Poll, so by all means come back in a year. Nobody is going to judge your judgements, but I think future speculation makes up the biggest portion of this boards posting.

I think Matt Johnson will be the best of the three but the only way the story of value with Will Brodie gets any better is if a Victorian club suddenly notices him, wants to plug him into their stoppages as an extractor and puts a pick around 8 to 14 on the table for him.

In terms of list structure, by the time Will is out of contract he will be our most senior midfielder, I don't want to lose him. It's been a good off season so far.

I think Matt Johnson will be the best of the three but the only way the story of value with Will Brodie gets any better is if a Victorian club suddenly notices him, wants to plug him into their stoppages as an extractor and puts a pick around 8 to 14 on the table for him.

In terms of list structure, by the time Will is out of contract he will be our most senior midfielder, I don't want to lose him. It's been a good off season so far.
The challenge in front of Longmuir and co is to develop second positions for some of the younger boys.

Amazing to contemplate a future midfield option of the future with Brodie, Erasmus, Chapman and Johnson beasting it up. Shades of Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy and Crowley.

Hard to say. Brodie did well but Mundy, Fyfe and Serong missing games really helped him having an impact.

Clarke was solid without being outstanding.

Throwing Johnson into the equation: Was injured and is a first year player.

Think all 3 are young enough to still have a huge career with us. So wait and see.

Hard to say. Brodie did well but Mundy, Fyfe and Serong missing games really helped him having an impact.

Clarke was solid without being outstanding.

Throwing Johnson into the equation: Was injured and is a first year player.

Think all 3 are young enough to still have a huge career with us. So wait and see.
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Is it me or is Brodie on the cusp of gaining somewhat of a cult following… I think he’s surprising everyone, which isn’t really fair given his draft selection, seems like he’s only going to improve especially now that he’s gaining some belief and getting all the opportunity in the world…. the Suns proper blew his management… can’t be happier for him!
The expectations around him will rise next year, and then people will see his kicking skills are average.

next thing you know he will Blakely v2

Back