Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not comparing Brown & Buddy to Bruce you imbecile. I’m comparing the games in which they kicked bags.

I don’t rate Bruce at all, but when he is getting the footy kicked down his throat 16-20 times in a game then it’s inevitable that he was going to kick a big bag. It made NO difference at all when McKay was shifted on to him in the last quarter and a half
Agree to disagree, but don't call a fellow supporter an imbecile - we need each other :thumbsu:

I’m not comparing Brown & Buddy to Bruce you imbecile. I’m comparing the games in which they kicked bags.

I don’t rate Bruce at all, but when he is getting the footy kicked down his throat 16-20 times in a game then it’s inevitable that he was going to kick a big bag. It made NO difference at all when McKay was shifted on to him in the last quarter and a half

Good point. They had 42 scoring shots to our 14, and almost doubled our inside 50 count.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Walker back in Taz absence where he is suited and Jack back up fwd.

It's ridiculous where we have our players as quite obviously not working.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that McKay did no better on Bruce. I would suggest even worse.

Walker is a one trick pony. Marks very well in defense and is calm when disposing of the ball but offers nothing else

Oops, a two trick pony.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jesus. Bit of an overreaction mate.

Tarrant and Thompson at their best were AA quality defenders but sometimes you can’t compete when the ball is given to you on a platter.

Brown kicked 10 on Clurey & Jonas and they are more than handy defenders.

Walker had a stinker, but so did the rest of the team up the field who weren’t putting the pressure on the WB midfielders.

Bruce despite being inconsistent often had field days against us. Just last year he kicked 6 and 5 of them were on Tarrant.

Bruce has kicked 22 in his last 3 games against us. In the same period, he has kicked 24 goals in 25 games against all other opposition. Before that, he was averaging a goal a game against us.

Brown and Larkey both would have kicked backs on the end of the delivery he has had in those matches.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Bruce has kicked 22 in his last 3 games against us. In the same period, he has kicked 24 goals in 25 games against all other opposition. Before that, he was averaging a goal a game against us.

Brown and Larkey both would have kicked backs on the end of the delivery he has had in those matches.

I get the whole "delivery" get-out for rating forwards but nah, Bruce in and of his own play would've still outperformed Larkey.

Bruce was leading hard, finding separation and even roving into contests. Larkey was impersonating a statue most of the game.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope this campaigner gets gastro or something more long term so I do not have to shout at the wireless, scare my dog and avoid the neighbours calling the police whilst watching this potato butchering the pill all game. People crucify slow players around here, the * knuckles feet are concrete.

I’ll motion he be sacked immediately whereby he hasnt got the time to clean out his locker. Get out Walker

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
At his age, I do not think that is going anyway.

I love the blokes commitment, but have some brains about it. These flouro campaigners are at the ready to pounce for any manner of largely uneventful crap.

The fact that the team is becoming a more cohesive unit now has made Josh and Tom’s roles more evident. You can clearly see now how they help our structure. In the earlier games, it wasn’t as obvious because we were so undermanned - which, in turn, exacerbated Tom and Josh’s weaknesses.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was filthy when he went for a mark instead of a spoil from the back position in the D50. I think the next two contests he went bloody hard with the fist to make up for it.

If effort was everything then he'd be on big dollars. Very honest player, but just has a few weaknesses he can't completely overcome.

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not a huge fan of him. Just seems to leak goals and so often goes for the mark instead of doing the team thing and spoiling. But, to his credit, he held his man well after quarter time. Much prefer him as a forward but good on him. Hopefully the win buoys his confidence

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had a not so good first half but then 2020 Walker appeared in the 2nd.

He read the ball a lot better in the 3rd and 4th, obviously down a bit on form but if he wasn't available our defender stocks would be clutching it's straws. He's crucial.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Had a not so good first half but then 2020 Walker appeared in the 2nd.

He read the ball a lot better in the 3rd and 4th, obviously down a bit on form but if he wasn't available our defender stocks would be clutching it's straws. He's crucial.

He’s out when Taz is back.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was filthy when he went for a mark instead of a spoil from the back position in the D50. I think the next two contests he went bloody hard with the fist to make up for it.

If effort was everything then he'd be on big dollars. Very honest player, but just has a few weaknesses he can't completely overcome.
Yeah, I agree with this. I'll never ever doubt his effort but I'm not entirely sure he'll keep his spot when Tarrant's back unless we come up against a team with three genuine tall forwards. Still a good stopgap experienced versatile key position player to have in a rebuild though, especially given our lack of talls.

Guys like Josh and big TC almost certainly won't be here when we start challenging again, but they'll be remembered, especially internally, as really important players, leaders and clubmen that contributed to getting us there.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Yeah, I agree with this. I'll never ever doubt his effort but I'm not entirely sure he'll keep his spot when Tarrant's back unless we come up against a team with three genuine tall forwards. Still a good stopgap experienced versatile key position player to have in a rebuild though, especially given our lack of talls.

Guys like Josh and big TC almost certainly won't be here when we start challenging again, but they'll be remembered, especially internally, as really important players, leaders and clubmen that contributed to getting us there.

Stopgap is a perfect description.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While he has his limitations, Walker can be a really solid contributor...But...his killer issue is that he loses focus.

Fagan mentioned it every time he talked about him in press conferences. It’s really frustrating to hear he is back to his old habits with you guys.

Chuck him in reserves for a few weeks, make him earn his place, and he will come back 100% desperate and looking really sharp.

But the moment he gets comfortable back in seniors he gets lazy again.

I really like Walks but he just can’t seem to get past this.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While he has his limitations, Walker can be a really solid contributor...But...his killer issue is that he loses focus.

Fagan mentioned it every time he talked about him in press conferences. It’s really frustrating to hear he is back to his old habits with you guys.

Chuck him in reserves for a few weeks, make him earn his place, and he will come back 100% desperate and looking really sharp.

But the moment he gets comfortable back in seniors he gets lazy again.

I really like Walks but he just can’t seem to get past this.
Thanks and interesting perspective - hadn't really looked at it that way before.

No doubt he is a solid - and no doubt also that he is in no sides 'best 22'.

I have always like him - big body, competes hard, nice mark....but there is always something that lets him down.

But focus - as you say - maybe that's it - he just lacks the concentration to be able to play the full 100 minutes and that makes it look like laziness.

We need him atm - he helps us overall - but to be able to keep getting a contract he will need to do more.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks and interesting perspective - hadn't really looked at it that way before.

No doubt he is a solid - and no doubt also that he is in no sides 'best 22'.

I have always like him - big body, competes hard, nice mark....but there is always something that lets him down.

But focus - as you say - maybe that's it - he just lacks the concentration to be able to play the full 100 minutes and that makes it look like laziness.

We need him atm - he helps us overall - but to be able to keep getting a contract he will need to do more.
100% guarantee that Nobes uses the word ‘focus’ in relation to Walks this year.

Back