Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
the scooter replacement

Taz FB, Daw 3rd tall

then Walker v durdin v mckay for CHB
may the best man win all year form dictating

Just talking to some Lions boys, reckons we have made off like bandits on that pick up.
personally wouldn't mind seeing tall backline of Tarrant/Walker/Durdin (or McKay if he's up to it) and release Maj on to the back flank/wing look to get it into his hands and break the lines. I think the Walker pick up gives us that option and more flexibility. Of course he is handy as a forward as well.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
I don't think Durds in necessarily behind Walker, or more importantly the club sees it that way. I can now say openly that we got Walker as insurance. We lost Thommo, EVW has gone down again and Maj is on the recovery trail and as promising as he's looking he is no certainty to regain his form, it's an unknown.

McKay isn't rated highly at this stage and yes he could turn it around, has time on his side. Let's all not over think what to me looks like a solid plan

Yep, if that were not the case we'd have given him longer than 1 year!

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
I'm not in ITK, but I'm not sure about this. If he was such a good get, then why didn't we have to fight with other clubs for him?

Just the opinion of Lions fans who were very disappointed they let him go. Dunno what other clubs were thinking, maybe that he's too old just cause of his hairline! Put it this way, I'd prefer him on a 1 year deal as an option that cost us nothing, to see how Durdin & McKay Develop, take pressure off Maj and EVW recovery etc, than trade away a high draft pick for Dougal Howard!

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Just the opinion of Lions fans who were very disappointed they let him go. Dunno what other clubs were thinking, maybe that he's too old just cause of his hairline! Put it this way, I'd prefer him on a 1 year deal as an option that cost us nothing, to see how Durdin & McKay Develop, take pressure off Maj and EVW recovery etc, than trade away a high draft pick for Dougal Howard!
I don't disagree. Not unhappy with his signing, cost us almost nothing, and it's just a year.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Good insurance for if anything happens to Brown or Larkey, as right now our only genuine key forward depth would be Maj.

That said, I think he'll end up best 22 in the backline fairly comfortably.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Solid Key Defender, who should keep the likes of McKay and Durdin on their toes. The last thing we need is complacency in our team. No player should feel irreplaceable.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd rather that the best performed individual has a place in the team, no matter who they are. 'No birth certificates' works both ways.

True, but I’m thinking about what’s best for now & the future, and the best thing for now and the future is that our young defenders become afl standard and continue to develop. If Walker can take their spot and keep them out, it’s good for Walker and good for North short term, but a negative for North overall, it would mean one of Durdin or McKay hasn’t come on...who we used first round picks on and have spent years developing

Back