Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I haven't really seen discussed here is what if Taz goes down?
We would have the least organised backline in the comp without him there. At the very least now we have a bloke with 85 games under the belt (took 16 marks against port last year too) who can help steady the ship if it's needed through the year.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I haven't really seen discussed here is what if Taz goes down?
We would have the least organised backline in the comp without him there. At the very least now we have a bloke with 85 games under the belt (took 16 marks against port last year too) who can help steady the ship if it's needed through the year.

From all reports it’s MacMillan that organises the backline....but yeah, Walker is good insurance. Bit like why we’ve got Campbell on the list in case Goldy goes down.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that though and Durdin continues to hold his spot, Maj gets fit and McKay comes on. If not we have Walker.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From all reports it’s MacMillan that organises the backline....but yeah, Walker is good insurance. Bit like why we’ve got Campbell on the list in case Goldy goes down.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that though and Durdin continues to hold his spot, Maj gets fit and McKay comes on. If not we have Walker.
Im expecting JMac to have the game simplified for him a bit this year

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Good insurance for if anything happens to Brown or Larkey, as right now our only genuine key forward depth would be Maj.

That said, I think he'll end up best 22 in the backline fairly comfortably.

yeah if he embeds himself in the team another possibility if durdin and or McKay really come on would be to mix it up shifting Tarrant and or Maj forward. Flexibility is a great thing to have.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I've always thought this guy was a bit underrated and he seems to come across as a good bloke. He was a thorn in our side more than once in the forward line, iirc.

As a journeyman, and (now) a backman, I think he'll do very well for us and expect he's more likely to be in the 18, than out of it. Good luck to him.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Good insurance for if anything happens to Brown or Larkey, as right now our only genuine key forward depth would be Maj.

That said, I think he'll end up best 22 in the backline fairly comfortably.
If anything happened to Brown or Larkey, I wouldn't mind seeing McKay up there. He was a forward in his pre-draft days.
The experiment of trying to force him to become a KPD defender hasn't worked so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North1411

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If anything happened to Brown or Larkey, I wouldn't mind seeing McKay up there. He was a forward in his pre-draft days.
The experiment of trying to force him to become a KPD defender hasn't worked so far.
I am certain he mostly played at CHB as a junior with a few promising games as a forward. They played him as a forward initially in the VFL and he looked lost. Moving him back was about taking him back to his most comfortable position. Your thinking of his brother who has always been a forward

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I am certain he mostly played at CHB as a junior with a few promising games as a forward. They played him as a forward initially in the VFL and he looked lost. Moving him back was about taking him back to his most comfortable position. Your thinking of his brother who has always been a forward
Pretty sure when they were being drafted that they were both being labeled as forwards.

I don't think we drafted him with the intention of holding down a key defensive post.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pretty sure when they were being drafted that they were both being labeled as forwards.

I don't think we drafted him with the intention of holding down a key defensive post.

He started out as a ruck/forward prospect.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I rate this addition as an absolute bargain, cost nothing, can play back, forward, and ruck, takes a good grab, can kick goals, as good a "depth" player as you could possibly have on your list. As to whether he is walk up start for seniors right away, under our previous coach, definitely, under Rhyce, remains to be seen.
Welcome to the 'Roos Josh.

You never know, he could also end up being a Sam Gibson type where you'd think he's just on the list for depth but he makes himself a mandatory selection.

North1411

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He'll surprise the supercoach types.

I wouldn't have thought so, considering he was one of the highest ranked defenders in the game after Rnd 5 this year.

Fairly obviously, to the good judges, that he's better than what we currently have at the minute.

021219_Gallery6.jpg

Josh Walker listens to Jade Rawlings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back