Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

Always had your heart in your mouth when Shannon was involved in the play. Taken at Pick 14 in the 1997 Draft, but was easily the best of the players we picked that year. Played 155 games for the club, which was a pretty fair effort

He was picked ahead of some handy types, including Simon Black, pick 31, Adam Goodes, pick 43, Mathhew Scarlett, pick 45 though would have gone there as a Father-son and Nathan Thomson at pick 82
I have to say that I remember Shannon Watt very fondly. Yes, we could have done better and, boy, did he make some howlers. However, he gave his all for North every single time he ran onto the park. He played a pretty lone hand in defence during his time with us, which made things very difficult for him. He's a very easy target to poke fun at, of course - I just did it above. However, if every member of the present team are prepared to put the effort into this season that Shannon Watt did for his entire career, I guarantee we will win the flag.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have to say that I remember Shannon Watt very fondly. Yes, we could have done better and, boy, did he make some howlers. However, he gave his all for North every single time he ran onto the park. He played a pretty lone hand in defence during his time with us, which made things very difficult for him. He's a very easy target to poke fun at, of course - I just did it above. However, if every member of the present team are prepared to put the effort into this season that Shannon Watt did for his entire career, I guarantee we will win the flag.

Quoted this here before. Was a season under Laidley where Shannon was the only player in the whole comp. who never came off the ground the whole season. Every minute of every game.

Dips me lid to 'im 👍

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another big benefit to having Walker is if we are struggling with matchups we can always swing him forward. Kicked 23 goals for Brisbane back in 2016 when they were garbage. Reliable set shot in front of goal.

From what I’ve heard, he is leading the race to play CHB, ahead of Durdin and McKay.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another big benefit to having Walker is if we are struggling with matchups we can always swing him forward. Kicked 23 goals for Brisbane back in 2016 when they were garbage. Reliable set shot in front of goal.

From what I’ve heard, he is leading the race to play CHB, ahead of Durdin and McKay.

It’s a indictment on the club that we spent 3 high draft picks on Neilson, Durdin and McKay and after 4/5 years of development we can find someone better as a delisted free agent.

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s a indictment on the club that we spent 3 high draft picks on Neilson, Durdin and McKay and after 4/5 years of development we can find someone better as a delisted free agent.

Not ready to write them off yet but as you say the sheer volume of development required to get these blokes up to scratch vs. alternatives available would suggest very poor drafting (with high draft picks too).

Not ready to write them off yet but as you say the sheer volume of development required to get these blokes up to scratch vs. alternatives available would suggest very poor drafting (with high draft picks too).
Yeah, I'd be happy for us to never use a first round pick on a KPD ever again.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree but gotta factor in that Josh Walker was easily the best player delisted last year. Reckon he is going to make the Lions look a bit dopey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but gotta factor in that Josh Walker was easily the best player delisted last year. Reckon he is going to make the Lions look a bit dopey.
I agree but always wonder if there were other reasons when a player is dumped who looks very capable of playing good footy.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree but always wonder if there were other reasons when a player is dumped who looks very capable of playing good footy.
That's wise but usually something smells fishy. If Walker played the season out over Adams it would be odd. Sometimes clubs just make mistakes. This one was choosing the perennially injured Sam Skinner's potential over a good soldier in Walker.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought he was one of the highlights on Friday, he was composed, took solid marks, didn't really make any outstanding errors. I think he'll be a suitable replacement for Scooter's position, physically he looks big and lean.

I think we're gonna be pretty pleasantly surprised by him, as we were by Pittard. Could be an inspired list decision.

GunSchwatta

Senior List
Feb 23, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very impressed.

I like him so I was wrong.

He's limited but that's fine as he appears to realise that and plays within his scope.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
As a Lions Josh Walker fan I completely agree. He has been in the AFL team of the week twice in his last twenty games and if payed purely as a backman he will be very good value.

We also got rid of Tommy Culter to Essendon.

They might be number one and two recruits of the year from other clubs

PS. Josh is a top bloke as well

GunSchwatta

Senior List
Feb 23, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a Lions Josh Walker fan I completely agree. He has been in the AFL team of the week twice in his last twenty games and if payed purely as a backman he will be very good value.

We also got rid of Tommy Culter to Essendon.

They might be number one and two recruits of the year from other clubs

PS. Josh is a top bloke as well

So why delisted? (genuine question - surely Lions could do with depth also if Andrews gets injured for example)

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
So why delisted? (genuine question - surely Lions could do with depth also if Andrews gets injured for example)
Both were on the outer for some reason. We have got a Hawthorn has been (Birchall), several years older, who hasn't played for years as Josh's replacement.

Many fans over on the Lions were complaining about the treatment of both Cutler and Josh all last year.

I have taken out North memberships in the past and I will be looking at Josh and North all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back