Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

It's so great how he refers to he club as "we" and "our" etc.

I remember Chapman would always disassociate himself when talking about the club as a whole, as good as his cameo was for us.

Really will remember him fondly.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be keen to debut Mutch this week instead of giving the spot to Colyer (assuming we want a linking type player). Colyer may yet play the game in the finals but he needs to earn the spot back - the rubbish he's been serving up is not worthy of our best team.
I don't believe it will hurt our prospects either against Fremantle or in any potential final. In fact a game at the lower level may be just what Colyer needs to find some form.

Mutch has consistently performed in the VFL throughout the year and seems well suited to play the role that we are missing players for.

I wouldn't be too upset though if Langford got the gig and they did some switching around. I could live with that. He played a quality game in the VFL by all accounts and has been pretty stiff not to get more games this year.

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-22/rd-18-pushing-for-a-callup

Kobe Mutch

He slipped through to number 42 in the draft and could have been a Giant because of his Academy ties, but the acquisition of Kobe Mutch is looking better by the week for the Bombers.

The midfielder just goes about his work with a minimum of fuss.

He’s efficient, works hard and is strong in the air.

Mutch showed all of these traits in his 27-disposal, eight-mark and two-tackle effort against the Bulldogs.

He’s averaging 21 possessions per game this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woosha can get ****** for not giving this kid an AFL game this year. His form this year has easily deserved rewards
Settle down turbo.

No need to blow back to back rising stars.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Would pay to ensure that Mutch gets through a monster pre-season for next year.

I can't see him being best 22 next year but he should be on the verge.

Cannot wait to see what his game look like in three years. He'll be a machine.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I think making finals was valued over development of the younger players. If we lose next week it'll all be for nought.
This year was about development. Playing in the VFL allowed guys like Mutch and Begley full time midfield minutes. Would i like Mutch to have had a chance to play a couple of games to give them a taste? Sure.
But in the senior side Begley, mutch, langford, Ridley etc would have played peripheral roles. I would much prefer the method we have done, allow them to develop their craft in key positions so that they can step in next year and contribute the same roles in the senior squad.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Doss Lance Uppercut
A finals win would be a pass mark for me. This club needs to start winning. If we fail in that, then we should've spent more time giving younger guys a game.

Yes, it'll be hindsight heroics to determine that, but it is a call a coach needs to make and get right.
This year was about development. Playing in the VFL allowed guys like Mutch and Begley full time midfield minutes. Would i like Mutch to have had a chance to play a couple of games to give them a taste? Sure.
But in the senior side Begley, mutch, langford, Ridley etc would have played peripheral roles. I would much prefer the method we have done, allow them to develop their craft in key positions so that they can step in next year and contribute the same roles in the senior squad.
They don't necessarily have to play a peripheral role though. I mean how did parish's midfield minutes compare this year to last? Felt like less, and it is pretty much the point I'm driving at.

Doss Lance Uppercut
A finals win would be a pass mark for me. This club needs to start winning. If we fail in that, then we should've spent more time giving younger guys a game.

Yes, it'll be hindsight heroics to determine that, but it is a call a coach needs to make and get right.

They don't necessarily have to play a peripheral role though. I mean how did parish's midfield minutes compare this year to last? Felt like less, and it is pretty much the point I'm driving at.

Or you can look at and say afl made finals and the young guys had a great development year in the vfl its been a bit of a win/win imo. Very impressed with mutch and langford in the vfl games ive seen.

Losing to arguably the best team in the comp next week on their homedeck would hardly be a failure.....provided its not a insanely huge margin.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Doss Lance Uppercut

I've said all year a pass mark is a finals win. Nearly there

Back