Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There are so many positives from this season:
  • Finished in 7th place
  • Have 3 x All Australian's (2 of which are young stars of the comp)
  • Have 1 x Rising Star
  • Our Membership tally is at record heights and continues to increase
  • Set to call out a $4M profit - despite paying out 34 compensation claims
  • Playing an exciting brand of footy - fast and high scoring
I believe the coaches have created competitive environment for our players - they need to be consistently at their best to get a chance at AFL level.

Additionally, the coaches didn't know what our best team looked like this year, so kudos to them for delivering the positives above in a short period of time.

For mine, the only thing that could possibly make this season a 'fail', would be if we get blown out of the water against Sydney.

"Forcing Parish to take a back seat" is a very large rewriting of the reality of what's actually happened to Parish this year.

If I give him a lift somewhere campaigner is not adjusting my radio. Back seat every day.

Reckon Mutch would have played elsewhere....Woosher has been very, very conservative with the youth this year.

I like Kobe - runs hard, tough inside, hunts the footy and two sided. He's not that quick but ability to use both sides and clean hands should mean he's quick enough.

From what I've seen, I struggle to see why he won't become a regular senior player. The only thing I can think of is that like Parish he isn't a pure inside or outside midfielder. Hopefully, like Parish, it turns out that he's just a really good all round mid, as opposed to one who can't play either role to AFL standard.

Next year wont have Howlett, hocking etc to compete with that the club owed a little bit to.

Expect him and Francis to come in early next year. Mutch replaces Jobe and Francis takes Kelly's spot

Next year wont have Howlett, hocking etc to compete with that the club owed a little bit to.

Expect him and Francis to come in early next year. Mutch replaces Jobe and Francis takes Kelly's spot
Mutch doesn't replace Watson.
Mutch isn't a pure inside mid. Mutch is fighting Colyer for a spot next year.

Mutch doesn't replace Watson.
Mutch isn't a pure inside mid. Mutch is fighting Colyer for a spot next year.
I'm not sure about that.

If Mutch is to have a successful career I think he will have to develop his inside game to an elite level.

I personally think he's too slow to play an outside role like Colyers.

I'm not sure about that.

If Mutch is to have a successful career I think he will have to develop his inside game to an elite level.

I personally think he's too slow to play an outside role like Colyers.
I'm saying for next season.
If he can't play an outside role next season I doubt he gets many senior games.
Langford, Laverde or a trade recruit would be ahead of him to play a primarily inside role.
Unless he can go through the defence or forward lines there just aren't many midfield spots open unless injuries. Heppell, Merrett, Parish and Zaharakis all in. Someone replaces Watson and that leaves Myers and Colyer.

I'm saying for next season.
If he can't play an outside role next season I doubt he gets many senior games.
Langford, Laverde or a trade recruit would be ahead of him to play a primarily inside role.
Unless he can go through the defence or forward lines there just aren't many midfield spots open unless injuries. Heppell, Merrett, Parish and Zaharakis all in. Someone replaces Watson and that leaves Myers and Colyer.
I think he will get games. Hopefully 4 or 5.

I like him and think he will be a player but I personally think he will need to continue to work on his inside game. Heppell is somebody he should model his game on.

In my opinion, he will never be damaging enough to play an outside role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he will get games. Hopefully 4 or 5.

I like him and think he will be a player but I personally think he will need to continue to work on his inside game. Heppell is somebody he should model his game on.

In my opinion, he will never be damaging enough to play an outside role.
I see him as a ruck-rover who can go forward and be a headache for the oppo, is be disappointed with 5 games. Think he should get 8+

I see him as a ruck-rover who can go forward and be a headache for the oppo, is be disappointed with 5 games. Think he should get 8+
Yeah, the traditional ruck rover role is how I see him. Similar to Heppell.

I think 5 games is a good start.

We have Langford, Morgan, Redman, and Francis that are older and need to be given gametime and then we have Ridley, Begley, Clarke and whoever we pick up in the draft that will also get blooded.

I feel like he could've had those 5 this year, hence all that earlier conversation. But if the senior guys can get us over the line this week, the effect it has on a zach merrett/parish/mcgrath could change the whole culture of the group.

All of a sudden Mutch gets his 5 games alongside blokes who expect finals footy and nothing less. Almost cause to be crazily optimistic about our future.

The need for genuine speed on the outside/competing with Colyer is not what it once was. Merrett, Parish and McGrath really change the existing midfield dynamic.

Even the next rung of future midfielders move better than everyone we have had running through the middle other than Zaharakis.

While I think that Mutch will play his best footy as more of an inside player he's got really good endurance and reads the game very well.

In a team with a balanced midfield, Mutch would make an excellent defensive winger. He looks particularly good distributing from half back.

It's all a bit academic anyway. He runs hard without being genuinely slow and we don't need him for speed. He'll end up one of the ten players who run through the middle playing different roles.

I see Mutch as a direct Stanton replacement. Better kicking though.

He will be that important, but under-appreciated, outside accumulator that links the play.
Exactly this IMO. He'll run his guts outs every game as a winger or 'outnumber player' as Dodo describes him.
Ave. 25 disposals and a few 'i'm exhausted' clangers.
But as you say he'll be under appreciated as most quality hard runners are on FB.
Future gun/whipping boy.

Exactly this IMO. He'll run his guts outs every game as a winger or 'outnumber player' as Dodo describes him.
Ave. 25 disposals and a few 'i'm exhausted' clangers.
But as you say he'll be under appreciated as most quality hard runners are on FB.
Future gun/whipping boy.
From the limited amount I've seen he looked a smart player who managed to get to the right spots.

My guess is that Mutch and Begley will go past Laverde and Langford next year. Expect both to play regularly.

I am pessimistic re the other two, not sure it will happen with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back