Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Feel like he has a nice balance to his game....hard at it, good overhead, runs all day, disposal is neat enough. Seems like a genuine mid, not a manufactured one.

Speed is the issue. He’s not quick by foot so he needs to be super clean and quick of hand and mind. Hope he makes it, he’s certainly honest with his effort.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be staggered if he makes it but stranger things have happened. Would still play him for the next month ahead of Zaharakis.

I'd bet on him making it. Does most things well.

Whether he is someone I want to see play for Essendon is another matter. If we had hard running actual ball winning inside midfielders, with our speed off half back and McGrath Mutch would slot in beautifully on a wing.

As it is he'd need to develop a monster inside game. If he does that I'll be kicking the driver out of the bandwagon.

In our current state he's just adding to diminishing returns which we reach by midfielder 3.

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd bet on him making it. Does most things well.

Whether he is someone I want to see play for Essendon is another matter. If we had hard running actual ball winning inside midfielders, with our speed off half back and McGrath Mutch would slot in beautifully on a wing.

As it is he'd need to develop a monster inside game. If he does that I'll be kicking the driver out of the bandwagon.

In our current state he's just adding to diminishing returns which we reach by midfielder 3.
Just needs the size put on, in the TAC Cup and for the Allies he was a jet on the inside, I made the comparison of Matt Priddis at the time. He certainly has it in him but I’m not sure what the club is planning for him since he still hasn’t put on a lot of bulk.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Just needs the size put on, in the TAC Cup and for the Allies he was a jet on the inside, I made the comparison of Matt Priddis at the time. He certainly has it in him but I’m not sure what the club is planning for him since he still hasn’t put on a lot of bulk.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time

Bump. Back in the team for round 3 and almost immediately does a hamstring, spends the game on the bench.

Scans confirmed a "high grade hamstring strain" (whatever that means) and Kobe is out for three months. Another injury ruined season for the kid.
Link/source?

VFL training this week, modified time in the VFL game this Sunday if all goes well.

Young Essendon midfielder Kobe Mutch will make his long-awaited return to the field this week after overcoming a high-grade hamstring injury suffered in round three.

Mutch went down early in the side’s victory over Melbourne and has worked tirelessly to get back to full fitness.

Club physical performance manager Justin Crow said the onballer will line up for the VFL Bombers against Port Melbourne at Adcon Stadium on Sunday should he get through the week’s training as expected.

“Kobe will return, he’ll do training with the VFL squad through the rest of this week,” Crow said on the SKINS Injury Update on Tuesday.

“Assuming that all goes well, he’s penciled in to play on modified game time in the VFL match.”
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-18/mutch-back-in-business

Blood Bomber

Team Captain
May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Really happy for him to get back. Seems like he's worked hard while injured. Let's hope he can get a good run of games and crack back into the seniors.

Off the LTI list now.

Strong return to the VFL with limited minutes. Good signs

Onballer Kobe Mutch returned in the win over the Borough after a 10-week stint on the sidelines with a significant hamstring injury and Crow said he got through the contest strongly.

“Kobe played up to the number of minutes and distance that we’d planned.

“He looked quite comfortable in the game and obviously we’ll be tracking his recovery in the next couple of days, but we’re hoping for him to get up and take another step forward in his return to football.”

Back