Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It's also a role you can draft fairly easily. If he doesn't show something at senior level next year he could be cut as harsh as that sounds, even though he was okay in the seniors last year.

Indeed, as a 4th year player you’d want to see him start to play regular AFL games, and he doesn’t have enough credits in the bank to get an extra season beyond that if he’s got further injury issues.

I really like the kid though, seeing his interview when he was drafted has always stuck with me. Seemed genuinely excited to be playing for Essendon and I’d love him to make it.

He hasn't played this year due to injury.

Hence it's a convenient time to recycle a post. I don't back away from it.

Heppell is a B grade player at best. Mutch can be a B grade player and they both essentially go about the game in the same way.
You mean Aaron Heppell yeah?

With so much time off through a variety of reasons (injuries mainly it seems), it's hard to gauge where Kobe should be. He showed some really good signs in 2018 but we didn't get to see anywhere near what he could do this year. Disappointing because he is one of our biggest accumulators at VFL level and showed he can do that at AFL level in his few AFL games during that 2018 campaign.

The thing that counts against Mutch is the style of player he is.

One paced winger who floats across half back or midfield accumulator.

Just doesnt scream out as someone who compliments the existing side all that well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just doesnt scream out as someone who compliments the existing side all that well.
Would help that they play him in the position he did best in at 18s level, inside mid.

He hasn’t got the weapons to make it as a wingman/defender for mine. One of his standout traits was his clean hands at stoppages and winning the first hands of the stoppage.

Would help that they play him in the position he did best in at 18s level, inside mid.

He hasn’t got the weapons to make it as a wingman/defender for mine. One of his standout traits was his clean hands at stoppages and winning the first hands of the stoppage.

From what I remember he was never given much of a ride in that natural inside midfield position, even at VFL level. Occasional stints but nothing of note or continuity for him.

It's an easy comparison but if he could get to even half the player that Steele Sidebottom is he would be handy in any AFL midfield rotation.

It's an easy comparison but if he could get to even half the player that Steele Sidebottom is he would be handy in any AFL midfield rotation.

He's shown nothing to indicate that anything he does would end up looking like Sidebottom.

Maybe Stanton or Heppell?

I see Ham as someone who might be capable of playing like Sidebottom.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back