Past Liam Sumner

Remove this Banner Ad

Some guys just need time at AFL level to find their feet.

Buckley was always an average VFL player but seemed to step up when he strung a few AFL games together.

Contrary to what the common perception is, it's easier to get a kick at AFL level because there is a greater emphasis on structure, gameplay and creating space for players to lead into.

Might be the jolt Liam needs.

at the end of the year he found one ... it was injured, though

Contrary to what the common perception is, it's easier to get a kick at AFL level because there is a greater emphasis on structure, gameplay and creating space for players to lead into.
100% this.

Guys like Ellard are able to grind out big numbers and are outstanding contributors in the VFL because of the tight contested game style typical of that level.

Boekhurst for example is never going to look above average in the VFL but has the tools to make a very effective AFL player due to the space and increased tempo.

That said I'm not sold on Sumner. Lamb is a talented player but is very selfish with the footy. I would like Bolton to make it clear to Lamb that he will get picked every week if he meets certain tackle, 'pressure act' and goal assist KPIs. If he focuses exclusively on his defensive aspect the goals will come anyway because that is his natural game.

I will also say that I think a lot of Lamb's selfishness was due to a fear of getting dropped for not kicking a couple of goals every week - if he is allowed to focus on other things knowing that his spot is safe I think he can be a big improver in 2016.

Up to date, Liam has been on light duties in the rehab group.

I don't think the club have a definite date on his full return and for that reason, it's hard to imagine Sumner playing any AFL this year.
If we can get a good 10-12 weeks at VFL out of him, whilst keeping the foot injuries at bay, we may just have a decent player come through.

Precaution first.

I think that this is what we would have done with Giles... if he hadn't re-injured himself towards the end of the season.

Still... I think that there might be some eyes on him during the season and a rookie slot might open up for him at the next rookie draft.

2015 Season
1 Wrist.
2 Wrist.
3 Wrist.
4 Wrist.
5 Wrist.
6 Wrist.
7 Wrist.
8 Wrist.
9 Wrist.
10 NEAFL Got a bit of the ball in first game back. -
11 NEAFL Made most of his 12 touches to kick two handy goals. -
12 NEAFL Best game since return from injury with 19 possessions. -
13 NEAFL Bye. -
14 NEAFL Improved outing as part of midfield rotation. 20 disposals. -
15 Suspended.
16 NEAFL In and out of game after club suspension. -
17 Foot.
18 Foot.
19 Foot.
20 Foot.
21 Foot.
22 Foot.
23 Foot.
This does sound typical of the guys we recruit. I will look with interest to see how he goes in the pre-season games.
One things is for certain: we need a small forward who can crumb a goal. Pace is nice: Menzel didn't have much. Garlett did, but he didn't have the commitment to the cause.

Up to date, Liam has been on light duties in the rehab group.

I don't think the club have a definite date on his full return and for that reason, it's hard to imagine Sumner playing any AFL this year.
If we can get a good 10-12 weeks at VFL out of him, whilst keeping the foot injuries at bay, we may just have a decent player come through.

Precaution first.
I think he'll be back sooner than that, but they definitely have been very deliberate and slow with his training workload.

No longer on the injury list and the club expects him to play a half against Richmond at VFL level.

Glad to see Liam is heading in the right direction...not expecting much from him this year, but some continuity would be nice.

Has talent but his body has thus far not allowed him to show it. Hopefully that changes now.

No longer on the injury list and the club expects him to play a half against Richmond at VFL level.

Glad to see Liam is heading in the right direction...not expecting much from him this year, but some continuity would be nice.

Has talent but his body has thus far not allowed him to show it. Hopefully that changes now.

Great update J, but there's no reason why we couldn't see him in the second half of the year once he gets some game time under his belt at VFL level. Wouldn't mind betting Bolton would want to have a look at as many players as he can this year.

If he can start kicking a few goals an showing some pace in the forward half then he will be welcome addition. We really miss Betts and Garlett: Sumner cannot be said to be a direct replacement, but he is the inheritor of one of the most important jobs at Carlton.

Great update J, but there's no reason why we couldn't see him in the second half of the year once he gets some game time under his belt at VFL level. Wouldn't mind betting Bolton would want to have a look at as many players as he can this year.

We definitely could see Liam at senior level at some stage this year if his form warrants selection - the same could be said for just about everyone at the club this year.

All I'm saying is given his history I have very low expectations of him in the first year at the club. I'm not expecting to see him at AFL level nor will I consider his year a failure if we don't.

I may be on my own here but my only hope for Liam this year is that his body allows him to take the field more often than not, which it hasn't to this point in his career. Anything more than that from him this year is a bonus IMO.

Just thought I'd pop in and say that I'm interested to see how Sumner goes for you lot. I like the way he plays (he moves like an even quicker Wanganeen) and I think it'd be a damn shame if he never gets a good run at it due to injury. Glad to hear he's finally back playing tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumner shouldnt have played. Hes had 3 quarters of football for the year after coming of injury, and hes straight into the seniors??
Before the game I would have agreed, but the Blues staff clearly knew better than us, because he moved well and slotted 2 goals. And anyone who can kick more than 1 goal is like gold for us..

Before the game I would have agreed, but the Blues staff clearly knew better than us, because he moved well and slotted 2 goals. And anyone who can kick more than 1 goal is like gold for us..

Really glad for the kid he kicked 2 goals. At the end of the day he had 6 touches (I think). Would rather see him play 2 or 3 games in the 2s and come into the midfield ready to go. He was nowhere near match fit.

Really glad for the kid he kicked 2 goals. At the end of the day he had 6 touches (I think). Would rather see him play 2 or 3 games in the 2s and come into the midfield ready to go. He was nowhere near match fit.
I thought he was meant to be a small forward that pushes up into the midfield now and then, ala Eddie Betts, which even in his game from limited opportunities he did pretty well.

I don't know, the hierarchy clearly thought he could handle it. Time will tell how he handles it. But the signs are certainly nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back