Past Matthew Ling - delisted 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

NMOwjlIA.jpg

Matthew Ling

Matt Ling is lightning-quick and has a pinpoint left-foot kick. The problem is a torrid injury run prevented him from hitting his best over his first two seasons at the Sydney Swans. Serious toe and Achilles injuries limited the club’s top 2017 AFL Draft selection to just 16 NEAFL games across the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Season 2020 is his time to shine.

Matthew Ling
DOB: 21 April 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Mary's (Vic)/Geelong U18

PLAYER BIO
Former club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
Position: Midfielder
2017 U18 STATS
Games: 4
Goals: 1
Avg Kicks: 6.8
Avg Marks: 3.8
Avg Hballs: 7.3

Medium defender or midfielder with line-breaking speed and good vision and ball distribution. Represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL U18 Championships, using the ball very efficiently across the four matches.

Last edited:

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
He finished equal third in the yoyo test. From memory Florent placed first in the beep test last year, so we seem to be placing a premium on running capacity with our first picks.
I still have no freaking clue what a yoyo test is. Makes me think of those red and white yo-yos Coca Cola used to put in their showbags at the Easter show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
From Cal Twomey a few weeks ago. He had Ling ranked at 21

POS: Medium defender, Ht 182cm, Wt 74kg, DOB 21/4/1999
From Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
October ranking: 21

Ling will catch the eye. He bolts out of his side's defensive 50, takes on opponents with a nifty side step or two, and then uses his piercing left foot to spot up targets down the field. At this stage of his development Ling is considered more of an outside player, but he does this role well. Sometimes he can get himself in trouble by trying to bite off too much with his run, but he has genuine dare in his game and when it works it can lead to a goal. An important player in the Geelong Falcons' TAC Cup triumph.

Where does he go? Has some fans that rank him inside the top 20, but it would still be a little surprising if that's where his name is called on the night. In the 20-40 range is most likely.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
I didn't but I'm happy with the type. He's a small and I wanted pick 14 to be a small.

It's pretty clear Bedford has it in for you recently. Kudos for not biting back.

Fwiw I have enjoyed reading your draft posts. So what if your not an expert. At least you took the time and effort to have a crack at a phantom draft.

Out of interest how did your top 10 compair to the actual result?

It's pretty clear Bedford has it in for you recently. Kudos for not biting back.

Fwiw I have enjoyed reading your draft posts. So what if your not an expert. At least you took the time and effort to have a crack at a phantom draft.

Out of interest how did your top 10 compair to the actual result?

A few I had way off, Charlie Constable being the big one who I ranked in the top 10, but went 39. It was just that sort of year where the top 6 were fairly obvious (was just what order they went in). Clark and Coffield were in the mix for the next few. I didn't have Ling in my 25, but he wasn't far off so I'm happy for the decision. The draft was even from
7 to 30 really.

My view was simple and that was we needed some classy ball users more than a KPF at 14. We got a classy ball user.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2017-11-24/draft-wrap-beatson

Beatson was rather annoyed at Ling in a Grand Final he played for the Geelong Falcons as apparently the Swans had been watching him all year, and he had been on a big upward curve but in the Grand Final he played an amazing game and the Swans were very worried that suddenly every other club was going to take notice as well.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Posted previously some concern regarding O'Brien
if you're an outside player I'd at least like to see some attacking run and carry or occasionally breaking from congestion or even linking handballs. Nearly all the highlights are that left foot kick in space. A lot easier to find time and space at junior level.

Admittedly based only on his highlights package it is pleasing to see Ling show those attributes.

(cliche) Obviously very early days, but a much better feeling with Ling than O'Brien.

My Favourite part of this pick was that nobody on here mentioned his name at all.

Inside mail?

Nobody here has it.
Or they do and they either keep their trap shut or are happy to run people off the scent.

Or they have no clue because really only those few coaches/recruitement staff would have any idea.

Who cares? Does it even matter? Not to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back