Past Matthew Ling - delisted 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

NMOwjlIA.jpg

Matthew Ling

Matt Ling is lightning-quick and has a pinpoint left-foot kick. The problem is a torrid injury run prevented him from hitting his best over his first two seasons at the Sydney Swans. Serious toe and Achilles injuries limited the club’s top 2017 AFL Draft selection to just 16 NEAFL games across the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Season 2020 is his time to shine.

Matthew Ling
DOB: 21 April 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Mary's (Vic)/Geelong U18

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
sounds like we did a good job keeping this pick under wraps.

highlights look a million bucks, hit over 30% CP in TAC. so that's good.

Should be fun watching him
Beatson said in his interview that his game in the finals blew the lid off of him, probably why we took him early because he wasn't going to be there later after that

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Beatson said in his interview that his game in the finals blew the lid off of him, probably why we took him early because he wasn't going to be there later after that

a breakout/dominant final seems a pretty decent reason to "reach" and get the player you really want.

Happy with that attitude

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Exactly what the doctor ordered. Have a feeling it’s what Beatson tried to order last year but Florent was the only one close to having those attributes. I rekn ling will be a lock for round 1 and push florent out and make him work harder for his spot. Good problem to have and nice to know we’re going to have a few speedsters in the weaponary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
“Obviously I want to get drafted and go to the combine and all that, but I just want to win the flag this year — that’s all,” the Geelong Falcon said.

“It was pretty bad losing in the prelim last year, so I just want to win it this year. We’ve only lost two games and we’re improving every week.”

Love it

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
My Favourite part of this pick was that nobody on here mentioned his name at all.

Inside mail?

Nobody here has it.

Pretty sure I saw him mentioned once in the draft thread with a YouTube video. Sure a non-phone user would be able to find the post cause well done to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what the doctor ordered. Have a feeling it’s what Beatson tried to order last year but Florent was the only one close to having those attributes. I rekn ling will be a lock for round 1 and push florent out and make him work harder for his spot. Good problem to have and nice to know we’re going to have a few speedsters in the weaponary

Florent wasn’t even in our last game, nor does he have a locked in spot in our 22. If Ling is going to play round one, he’ll be kicking out Cunningham, Towers, Jones, Lloyd, Newman, McVeigh or Jack. So who goes?

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Took me by surprise during the draft, but liking this selection now. Hearing Kinnear's words definitely instills me with confidence

Quick, penetrating kick HBF, should help us with defensive transition, which i think is our most noticeable weakness.

Loves a bounce, which is unique for our team as even our playmakers arent big linebreakers. I.e. mills and lloyd

Then there's the typical kinnear/swans attitude analysis - A real team player according to Kin

Both interviews (Beatson and Horse) have a real pleased tone to them giving me the impression they are very happy with the three. The real team player comment caught my ear.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Florent wasn’t even in our last game, nor does he have a locked in spot in our 22. If Ling is going to play round one, he’ll be kicking out Cunningham, Towers, Jones, Lloyd, Newman, McVeigh or Jack. So who goes?

To be honest I don't think Florent was quite ready body wise to play in 2017. We played him out of necessity but I think he showed enough in 2017 to say with reasonable confidence that in 2019 he should easily be in our best 22, maybe even one of our better players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back