Player Watch #19 - Mitch Hannan - traded to the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

If I remember correctly from watching the VFL finals last year, he's also very quick and a strong tackler. I'm interested to see how we use him.

Yep tackles, causes turnovers and then leads back hard across the 50 arc to get on the end of a kick.

Whilst watching the VFL grand final I was like who is this annoying blonde guy wreaking havoc. Was glad when we drafted him.

Yep tackles, causes turnovers and then leads back hard across the 50 arc to get on the end of a kick.

Whilst watching the VFL grand final I was like who is this annoying blonde guy wreaking havoc. Was glad when we drafted him.

Have the exact same memory from the VFL grand final. When we picked him up and I saw he was from Footscray's VFL side, I remember hoping it was the annoying guy with the long, blonde hair who played well in the GF.

played in the intra club match and against Port Melbourne
Was a beast in the midfield breaking through packs and taking contested mark
Would likely be playing forward/wing in the AFL

The questio has to be asked why he didnt play JLT after the demons intra club or was that the port melbourne intraclub?

The questio has to be asked why he didnt play JLT after the demons intra club or was that the port melbourne intraclub?
He played the Casey/Rest of Melbourne intraclub, not the actual Melbourne one from memory ... was still recovering from shoulder surgery at the time. So his absence from the JLT was injury recovery related rather than not earning a selection, while also benefiting from an upper body injury, so he could still put plenty of km in the legs, while Tyson and Kent (who he seems to be replacing) couldn't with knee and back injuries respectively.

Needed to be kept a secret as a point of difference for Goodwin's AFL fantasy side.

Have the exact same memory from the VFL grand final. When we picked him up and I saw he was from Footscray's VFL side, I remember hoping it was the annoying guy with the long, blonde hair who played well in the GF.

Him and Tim Smith were the best non-listed players on the ground that day. Snagged them both :thumbsu:

They played Brayshaw after only VFL form 2 years ago and then Hunt and Wagner played early last year without a lot of VFL form and if Goody had his say I get the feeling they would've played even earlier in the year. That's why I think Smith and Hannan are in.

A fit Dom Tyson is a very handy player but an underdone Dom playing half forward is a recipe for disaster, same goes for Kent. If Hannan can float around between forward where he can take a grab and then run around on the wing a bit then he just has to compete and use the ball ok to be worth more than those guys underdone. The safer option would've been Bugg or Harmes and I'm a bit surprised Bugg didn't get the call up but at the same time they've got Stretch, Lewis, Salem, Vince and Brayshaw to spend most of the time on the wings and Bugg isn't as useful playing forward or back. If it were at the G I think he'd have played. Harmes really played himself out of the side with a stinker against the Eagles. I think Harmes has to spend a bit of time at Casey in a designated role - half forward, wing or half back - and then come back in to the side with a job to do.

Bugg will have 3-4 players wanting to punch him in the face
I honestly don't know why coaches don't rate this attribute more highly. I'd take this over class, form or skill any day of the week. :(

I honestly don't know why coaches don't rate this attribute more highly. I'd take this over class, form or skill any day of the week. :(
Agree. I'm sure loads of people would like to punch me in the face and I can confirm that nobody rates this attribute very highly. It's not right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, class, form and skill will go a long way towards making a player. Getting punched in the face... not so much.

Well, class, form and skill will go a long way towards making a player. Getting punched in the face... not so much.
Only outside class, though.

I still think you undervalue punchability a tad.

Looks more than useful.

Kicked a couple of scrambled goals, put on heaps of defensive pressure and passed some beautiful balls inside 50. Ready made AFL player.

#thanksagainJT

I remember his VFL stats didn't make for great reading when we picked him up. But it's very easy to see why we picked him. Class, hardness, and a bit of X-factor. One of the better 15 touch 2 goals games you will see.

I remember his VFL stats didn't make for great reading when we picked him up. But it's very easy to see why we picked him. Class, hardness, and a bit of X-factor. One of the better 15 touch 2 goals games you will see.
Plus four tackles, four goal assists and five inside 50s! Close to being in the best players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back