Player Watch - #19 - Mitch Hannan - Extended to 2020! | Page 8 | BigFooty

Player Watch #19 - Mitch Hannan - Extended to 2020!

Discussion in 'Melbourne Demons' started by Striker475, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    It's not our job to search the country for AFL talent and Hannans VFL season was enough evidence he was a reasonable chance of making it. What a ridiculous world that you can look at him live and then his highlight and pass over him because they didn't have his beep results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Club Legend

Melbourne
    I didn't know anything about him but I still remember draft night some posters on here were wrapped that we picked up that annoyingly good blonde player who killed it in the vfl grand final.

3. TheCount

TheCount Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Blackhawks, Packers
    Fair call, probably the same philosophy that had Champion Data rate our midfield as the worst in the competition last season and people consider it a valid opinion. Too much stock put into the numbers, not enough of what people see with their own two eyes.

4. mrmonkey

mrmonkey Club Legend

Melbourne
    images (1).jpeg

Klyntonius likes this.
  5. threenewpadlocks

threenewpadlocks Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    I wouldn't call that too unusual when it comes to mature agers, because they're the types you can get with your late picks, or even a rookie pick, when in reality they might be as high as 20 or 30 in your draft board. Every club sees the players who play in the U/18 championships, but it's that 20 year old playing NEAFL where your recruiter watching his third game back-to-back notices something that the other club's recruiter misses because he's also watching his third game back-to-back, where after you interview him, you rate him highly, but then hope that info doesn't get out so you can take him with a rookie pick, where that kind of gamesmenship comes into play.

The fact that only 2 mature-agers made the national combine when there clearly would have been many more than 2 mature-agers that he clubs were interested in proves that point.

It might have changed from when I last heard of it, but it's something like 5 clubs that need to nominate a player to go to the national combine, 3 for the state combine and Rookie Me takes players who have had at least 2 nominations and puts their own criteria on it. Hannan could have easily had interest from 5-6 clubs, but enough of them didn't nominate him to home that the clubs that didn't nominate him wouldn't start putting time/work into him, by simple fact he was a name on a list that a recruiter hadn't looked up.

Being a recruiter is a tough job, and people do it for little pay because they love the fact they're getting paid something, anything, to watch footy. Most of them have full-time, or almost-full-time work, in other jobs. A AFL club VFL-scheduled recruiter would watch three live games over the weekend, watch the rest over video by the end of Monday, prepare a weekly report and maybe have a Tuesday night meeting. They'd spend another weeknight or two in the rest of the week looking back at video from earlier in the season, double-watching a certain player that they might have previously written a report on, etc. These people love their footy, so this might be addition to helping their 7-year-old son's Auskick in the morning of a weekend as well.

I don't think anyone in the world would have predicted Hannan to play as well as he had, but that's the nature of football player forecasting at the draft - there's always uncertainty involved.

At pick 46, an average player might only every play around 30-40 games. So with pick 46, if a mature-ager could play 50 games, and fill a role/position of weakness (the reason you target a mature-ager in the first place), you'd be thrilled. That's what I'm guessing Melbourne's prediction would have been at the time: maybe he would play an average of 10 games as a fringe player for 5 years before being delisted, but even then, that's positive value for a pick 46, where the typical 18 year old you pick might play 35 games, many developmental (so performing worse than a mature-ager) before being delisted. The fact that on average Melbourne fans might think he plays 150 games now is just a massive, massive bonus, something that Melbourne would not have predicted you drafted him.

As said above, if you truly believed that he could have been a 150-200 gamer, and assuming you knew that other clubs were interested, you wouldn't have risked another club picking him up before pick

6. stabler

stabler Premiership Player

Melbourne
    I think it was somebody here that referred to him as "handgun hannan". I think that suits him very well. In a split second he's picked the ball up off the ground and fired it through the big sticks without even blinking. It's like he's impatient to kick the goal before he's even gathered the ball. That freakish awareness that only a certain few players have. If TMac and Hoges are the twin towers, then Hannan and Fritsch are the thieves in the night that will be in and out before the victims even know they've been robbed. Well done Mitch, and well done MFC for another succesful outside the box selection

7. Cannon82

Cannon82 Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    [​IMG]

8. TheCount

TheCount Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Blackhawks, Packers
    #PotY

Sando22 and Cannon82 like this.
  9. LeverPuller

LeverPuller BigFooty Tanker

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
    Should post this in the 'Stories from Recruiters' thread on D&T, they'd get a laugh out of it.

10. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    That shocks me still. Clubs will spend thousands of dollars on altitude training to try get any kind of benefit but won't hire full time people in the most important position in building a list.

Tempy Tiger likes this.
  11. Bluelegs

Bluelegs Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Axiom, Greenbay Packers
    His ability to get boot to ball as cleanly and as quickly as he does is going to end up being iconic of his career.

Demon 16, Cannon82 and ponsdale like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Tempy Tiger

Tempy Tiger Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Poster of the year material.

13. ponsdale

ponsdale Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    I really enjoyed this collection of Hannan highlights. There really is a ridiculous number of goals where the time between getting the ball and snapping for goal is crazy short.

14. harry000

harry000 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    New England Patriots
    Love the way this guy tackles... low and hard like a rugby player.

Ablett2Garland and markm106 like this.
  15. Gysberts2Bate

Gysberts2Bate Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    I’ve been critical of his stoppage/centre square presence, but they’ve finally found his perfect niche there as an outside runner

16. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Victory
    Apparently took a screamer in VFL yesterday. Anyone got a link to footage?

17. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    It's in the Casey thread

18. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Victory
    Cheers

19. Ablett2Garland

Ablett2Garland Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    San Jose Sharks, Oakland Raiders
  20. schmuttt

schmuttt Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    West Ham United
    AND PEOPLE DIDN'T WANT HIM IN THE TEAM LMAO

Sando22, Topkent and Dancing Potato like this.
  21. saj_21

saj_21 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Warney's IPL team!
    Underrated tangling of feet with Henderson :p

Sando22 likes this.
  22. Dancing Potato

Dancing Potato Club Legend

Melbourne
    I've never known such a huge swing from anxiety to joy than sitting in the stands and watching Hannan's run towards goal. I kept thinking he was going to do something cute and/or silly and try to dish it off and I was on the edge of my seat the whole way in.

5 seconds later I'm on my feet and losing the last of my voice, fist pumping the air.

23. A11dAtP0w3R

A11dAtP0w3R Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Carolina Panthers, Steve Smith
    I said in the gameday thread, the look on Chris Scott's face after that goal made me hard.

Hannan's goal was a great moment, the crowd going mental was amazing.

Jonesey's goal gave me shivers, the reaction by him was pretty much the same as all MFC supporters at the time i imagine, i know mine sitting on the coach was just about identical.

24. Headless

Headless Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Yep. Jones' goal and Hannan's goal instantly became two of my favourite moments as a Melbourne supporter.

25. Bazza97

Bazza97 Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Loved that finish from Hannan. I thought he would do the unselfish thing and pass off but he took it upon himself to kick the goal.