Player Watch #19 - Mitch Hannan - traded to the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Stevens reckons he'll play Round 1.

Granted you could probably fit Stevo's knowledge of Melbourne's list on the back of a postage stamp.

Mark Stevens reckons he'll play Round 1.

Granted you could probably fit Stevo's knowledge of Melbourne's list on the back of a postage stamp.
If it was Jay Clark I would lock it in.

I think it's a question of where does he play. The fact that plenty of Dogs supporters on their board were filthy when we took him says a lot though.

Is he coachable?
Yes, the Footscray/Dogs coaches love him. Extremely hard worker. Steps up when needed.

I'm not completely convinced he's AFL standard, but he definitely has some real tricks and is of fantastic character. Mammoth leap, great reader of the ball in the air and a fantastic mark. Aggressive, tough and doesn't mind putting on pressure. The query is that he hasn't really been a big ball-winner, nor has he been a huge goal-scorer at VFL level - so is there a role for him at AFL level? Either way, you can be sure that he'll give it his best shot and be genuinely thankful for the opportunity.

Best of luck to him. Sad to see him leave Footscray but very happy that he will get the opportunity to prove himself at AFL level.

Yes, the Footscray/Dogs coaches love him. Extremely hard worker. Steps up when needed.

I'm not completely convinced he's AFL standard, but he definitely has some real tricks and is of fantastic character. Mammoth leap, great reader of the ball in the air and a fantastic mark. Aggressive, tough and doesn't mind putting on pressure. The query is that he hasn't really been a big ball-winner, nor has he been a huge goal-scorer at VFL level - so is there a role for him at AFL level? Either way, you can be sure that he'll give it his best shot and be genuinely thankful for the opportunity.

Best of luck to him. Sad to see him leave Footscray but very happy that he will get the opportunity to prove himself at AFL level.
Yeah the production isn't really there. Under 20 VFL games and under 20 goals and most games around 12 touches. But with his attributes if he had kicked 40 goals or had 20 touches a week he would've been picked in the top 30 if not higher!

I wonder if the Dees were watching him in the VAFA last year because apparently he was best on in the A grade grand final where he played in the midfield. That's a long way from AFL standard but some AFL forwards couldn't get a kick in the midfield in under 18's yet alone A grade ammos! His VFL stats seem to improve as the season went on as well so it might be a case of a mostly new player to the team taking a while to settle.

I'm pretty happy with the pick without getting carried away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played as the deepest forward for us but it probably much more suited as a high half forward running between the arches. Getting into a professional system will hopefully improve his disposal stats.

I get the feeling this is a Hunt like selection. Going for a guy with good attributes and develop the rest of his game. And yeah getting into a professional system will help.
Although he is a bit older than Hunt when we drafted him so you'd expect and hope for more rappid improvement.

Sorry for intruding guys, something about Mitch I'd like to share.

I met Mitch playing cricket a year or so ago. Lovely, lovely kid, funny and good to be around. Know his dad as well, another lovely bloke. Funnily enough he tore in for seven or so overs, bowled one of the quickest spells I've ever seen. Left arm pace. Very scary from cover point!

You've got a gem.

Found them ...
SiQt72f.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back