AFL Player #19: Nick Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

Was pretty good tonight. He still often bites off a little too much at times though, needs to find the right balance.
Otherwise we will get burnt going back the other way from his turnovers with all our players out of position trying to keep up. We got lucky a couple times tonight.

Last edited:
Noticed he and Heppell seemed close after the game - more so than others. Quite possible that Heppell has been supporting and encouraging him through the challenges of this year. Anyway, was just an observation. Might be reading too much into it.

Basically the tale of two seasons for Hind. First half was slow and unconfident but now seems to have regained his run and dash. 662 metres gained if you don't mind. Opens up the field so much for us.

Conincides with Redman, McGrath and D'Ambrosio all being offensive options out of the back-half.

When it's just Hind that needs to be stopped then the opposition can stop him, when you've got 3-4 options to cover it means Hind gets the extra metre or two he needs to run and carry.

Thought he was one of our worst. His effort to allow Daicos to kick the goal was really poor and it was very close to me (a couple of bays over). Need him to lift next few weeks if Red dog is out.

Not his best game yesterday. At least he tries to do stuff and gives us creativity but looking for the handpass which put him 50 out on his left foot, dropping the ball whilst running, missing some targets. He has been a key part of our revival after mid year but needs to iron out the inconsistencies.

Ignoring Truck after coming back to the bench isn't good enough imo

Hind needs to be a lot better than that. Especially given it was on TV, we need to make an example otherwise it'll snowball into this "Truck hasn't got the respect of the players" narrative.

For me he is one of the most frustrating players on our list...
Always tries to chew off more with his kicks instead of taking the easier option...
Calls for the ball when he isn't the best option...
Looks like Usain Bolt running forward but when he has to chase back looks like he's running in quicksand...
Sooks a lot with his teammates if they don't get him the ball...
Ignoring Rutten yesterday was a terrible look and said it all for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always tries to chew off more with his kicks instead of taking the easier option...
Looks like Usain Bolt running forward but when he has to chase back looks like he's running in quicksand...
even before the bench incident I think he was a due spell in the two's, he always treads a line between sparking our attack with dare or heaping undue pressure on the team with stupid turnovers (similar to mckenna in that way) but yesterday the pendulum swung heavily to the latter and he needs to sharpen up a bit.
We have Mass ready to take his place so I think it would be a good message from the coaching staff to send him back.

I'd reserve judgment on him when he came to the bench. He'd just had his head smashed into the turf in what was a perfect example of the supposed "double action" dangerous tackle. Not only was he not paid a free or his opponent penalised, he then immediately had a free paid against him for having the hide to complain about it.

Reckon his head might have been literally spinning when he came off... at the very least he was hot under the collar.

Rutten won't take s**t from a player who is easily replaced, I wouldn't worry.

I'd reserve judgment on him when he came to the bench. He'd just had his head smashed into the turf in what was a perfect example of the supposed "double action" dangerous tackle. Not only was he not paid a free or his opponent penalised, he then immediately had a free paid against him for having the hide to complain about it.

Reckon his head might have been literally spinning when he came off... at the very least he was hot under the collar.

Rutten won't take s**t from a player who is easily replaced, I wouldn't worry.
A very fair and balanced take....which doesn't belong on BigFooty, plz delete 😆

Strangely enough he is in the top 3 most effective kicks in the champion data rankings.

Conincides with Redman, McGrath and D'Ambrosio all being offensive options out of the back-half.

When it's just Hind that needs to be stopped then the opposition can stop him, when you've got 3-4 options to cover it means Hind gets the extra metre or two he needs to run and carry.
Very astute observation I reckon.

Hind has strengths but is not an out and out champion who can take on whatever tag is put to him. He's just a very useful part of a functioning backline.

Club needs to get a few of the Storm boys over and teach him how to tackle.

Some of his efforts are really weak.

If I was Rutten I would give him a few games in the VFL to work on tackling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back