19 Nick Salter

14-01-2009044.jpg

Flashhh

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
As an outsider I like the look of Salter.

Where do Port fans see him fitting in this year, obviously he would play up forward but does he play ahead of, with or is he behind other guys like J.Westhoff, M.Westhoff, Traderea and others?

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I definitely see Salter as a starting FF by years end. He may even start to spent some time rotating with Tredders at CHF. One of the Westoffs can take a pocket and then Ebert, Motlop and a genuine crumber like Rodan would be a great mix.

I see Daniel Motlop as being a bit like Mark Williams at Hawthorn, he was a dangerous FF when there were no other opions but now that Buddy and Roughhead are there he becomes an equally dangerous FP either on the lead, third man up or crumbing and chasing.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Salter has a ****ing amazing set shot for goal.

I'm a big fan of his and am optimistic about his chances of improving further this year, learning what he can off tredrea.

KingsCrow

Premiership Player
Nov 9, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I definitely see Salter as a starting FF by years end. He may even start to spent some time rotating with Tredders at CHF. One of the Westoffs can take a pocket and then Ebert, Motlop and a genuine crumber like Rodan would be a great mix.

I see Daniel Motlop as being a bit like Mark Williams at Hawthorn, he was a dangerous FF when there were no other opions but now that Buddy and Roughhead are there he becomes an equally dangerous FP either on the lead, third man up or crumbing and chasing.

No I doubt he will play FF.

I would say a second FF possibly (ie a tall FP).

Perhaps Forward Flank. He is good at finding space and has a long kick.

Isnt big enough nor fast enough for FF at AFL level IMO.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Right now we have no forwards, why in hell can't they just put this guy up forward for the rest of the season and give him a go..........like what have we got to lose?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

zest88

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT and WWT players in AFL
I've rated you from halfway through the first quarter of your first game, Nick. Prove me right this year.

he looked good for WWT from the moment he had his debut in 2006 playing in defence, if he hadn't of gotten injured he may have had the press and not stewert, but we will never know.

Port still got a good deal ended up with both of them :thumbsu:

Ebert80

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2008
South Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
he looked good for WWT from the moment he had his debut in 2006 playing in defence, if he hadn't of gotten injured he may have had the press and not stewert, but we will never know.

Port still got a good deal ended up with both of them :thumbsu:

Hope i'm not going way off topic here...but....You're obviously a big WWT fan, what do you think of the Cougar (Dawson)? And Allmond, you think he's worth drafting?

zest88

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hope i'm not going way off topic here...but....You're obviously a big WWT fan, what do you think of the Cougar (Dawson)? And Allmond, you think he's worth drafting?

Yes is is worth drafting, he preofrmed aganst centrals in his first game says alot about the kid

Couger was unlucky but everytime he looks good. Port have dropped Salter or We get Burton back.

When he was really pushing for selection pass and grocke came back which pushed hime down the ladder, but seeing as i would not have had him in the top 40 players at the club when drafted he has improved allot.

Don't dig at the to 40 players as i watched every reserve game last year and this year, he has been pushed down back in recent weeks has looked ok but i think he is not tall enough for KP's at SANFL let alone AFL

but his and Banners kicking is great.:thumbsu:

zest88

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Shouldn't need a gold pass, by the end of the year he will be earning his spot.

Port will struggle aslong as they give gold passes IMAO

huge call to make really but I just feel this guy is going to be overall better known than the Hoff at Port. I love the way he kicks and always looks like he wants to eat someone. Love it.. must play forward for us permanently next year!

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has the best set shot on our team.

Tredrea's is equally as good (post-injuries, ie currently), however Salter has the longer set shot kick.

If we can get Salter to develop a fevola-esque body (he's already developed nicely since last season, and i say fevola because they have the same height), improve his leading as well as body on body contesting, then we could have a genuine key forward on our hands here.

SALT MACHINE

Is Nick Salter ever going to make it? What's the story?

... who knows if Matty's considers him a forward? Our part-time assistant says "he'll never make it as an AFL forward". Its hard when last year he would play well at SANFL as a forward then choco would put him in defence.

We may have found out this year when Schulz was injured but Nick suffered a stress fracture of his foot in the same week and is still yet to resume playing.

Maybe Salt's a bit short to be a key position player in AFL but has great marking and kicking skills anyway. I reckon he'll ask for a trade at the end of this year. Maybe he would be useful for you guys?

Bingles

Team Captain
May 29, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's what I've been thinking. There was a discussion, I believe in the trade forum, in the past in regards to him coming to Carlton. As a result he's been someone that I've tried to keep an eye on statistically. Was surprised that he hadn't played a game this year but I didn't realize that he was injured.

He may not make it but if he has defensive capabilities and has a good set shot he could be a potential fifth or sixth option for us with Betts, Garlett, Henderson and whoever they want to play as the other tall (a resting ruck in Kreuzer / Warnock or Waite). Walker is currently playing that position very well but he is so versatile that I'd like to see him freed and in a position to play the role best suited in a given game. However, it could be the stability that has enabled him to fire up this year.

Salter is the same height as Fev (I thought shorter?) and a similarly good mark and kick - beggars belief that Nick hasnt made it.

Hope we or someone else (Crows are keen?) allow him to reach his potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back