Player Watch #19 Peter Ladhams

Remove this Banner Ad

The first one this year from Ladhams was a dead set love tap, we should have challenged it, said it at the time, soft as butter. It isn't a big deal, Ladhams will learn the boys will get around him, and he'll be raring to go for a pre season.
No doubt.
In the mean time we don't need an individual doing selfish acts that compromise & jeopardise our chance at a flag this year.
No guarantees we will be in this position again in the next 10 years. Remember we pinched 2012 & were supposed to win one with Buddy at his peak.
Fail!

Sorry but I'm pretty unforgiving on this s**t.
Missing a mark, tackle or a goal is forgivable. That act is just selfish.
Imagine if Mitch Morton did it in 2012.

No doubt.
In the mean time we don't need an individual doing selfish acts that compromise & jeopardise our chance at a flag this year.
No guarantees we will be in this position again in the next 10 years. Remember we pinched 2012 & were supposed to win one with Buddy at his peak.
Fail!

Sorry but I'm pretty unforgiving on this s**t.
Missing a mark, tackle or a goal is forgivable. That act is just selfish.
Imagine if Mitch Morton did it in 2012.

Each to their own, feel you are being a bit harsh, but I see your point I do. Just feel we have to get behind him, support the bloke, he'd be feeling rubbish about it. I'd rather back him to learn from it, not even counting the love tap earlier in the year, the MRP were being harsh at the time and it was so soft.

Am I seeing the same thing as everyone else. Yes a late bump, but to the body and just after he taps the ball. Definitely not worth 3 weeks. Barely worth a week. This is AFL not soccer. It's supposed to be hard edged

Am I seeing the same thing as everyone else. Yes a late bump, but to the body and just after he taps the ball. Definitely not worth 3 weeks. Barely worth a week. This is AFL not soccer. It's supposed to be hard edged
I agree 3 weeks is stiff, thought definitely one.
It was very late and he clearly charges in once the ball is well out of area.

Yes 100%.
A different discussions though.
Shouldn't be anywhere near a senior game until he can be trusted on field.
Refer to Brett Kirk & Barry Hall comments after last game for Swans.

He's likely going to be the best ruck on our list next year. If we win or go close this year gut feeling says Hickey retires.

Some of this discussions is completely over the top.

There are various types of rucks in the comp. Some are tall and just try and tap the ball and play as a wall (gawn, fella from gold coast, ). Some are like extra midfielders (Hickey, Grundy, our current ex west coast coach whos name i have forgotten ). Some are basically good forwards that can do a bit in the ruck - darcy cameron, mason cox paddy ryder )Some do their best work by trying to impose themselves physically - nankervis, mummy, preuss etc. Ladhams is trying to do the latter. He's stuffed it up a few times but hes not going to be your extra midfielder. He doesnt run to the right positions. He's not a bad mark but that needs a bit of work. He doesnt have great hands yet

Ladhams is clearly trying to play a Mummy like role as a ruck

Clearly hes overdoing it. But if hes not aggressive what has he got.

So rather than say hes got brain fades think of it more like what it is - hes actually trying to hurt people because thats what his long term role might well be. I dont want him punchjing people nor do i want him running through someone over the line. Hes not barry hall - hes not a forward who can beat people on the lead or through footy smarts etc. Hes going to have to be an angry charlie dixon or clarke keating or sean darcy

anyway its just a theory

I can't put into words how stupid that was to put himself in a situation like this. Was he annoyed at something that happened during the game, or was he annoyed that he's stuck in the 2s and lashing out?

Either way, it was a very silly thing to do, especially given he was an injury away from being recalled into the side.

Doesn't strike me as the smartest guy going around, and seems to lack emotional maturity. Bit of a concern. Surely we'd be looking at other ruckman after this latest lapse in judgement.

I can't put into words how stupid that was to put himself in a situation like this. Was he annoyed at something that happened during the game, or was he annoyed that he's stuck in the 2s and lashing out?

Either way, it was a very silly thing to do, especially given he was an injury away from being recalled into the side.

Doesn't strike me as the smartest guy going around, and seems to lack emotional maturity. Bit of a concern. Surely we'd be looking at other ruckman after this latest lapse in judgement.
Even without these concerns about Ladhams, it makes sense for us to look for an AFL ready ruck with Hickey's fragility, the retirement of Sinclair, likely retirement of Naismith and rawness of big Mac. The only question is do we give Ladhams more time to prove he has what it takes to become our long term number 1 ruck or do we bite the bullet and make room for a top line ruckman such as Sean Darcy (if available) or even Grundy. I just feel our midfield would become unstoppable with a top quality ruck.

In the old terminology it was charging.

An attack on an unsuspecting player over the boundary line that was not “hard edged”, it was unsportsmanlike and dangerous.

He was lucky to escape with 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonathan Brown talked about being suspended and having a moment when he realised that he was spending more time off the field than on.

Ladhams is a 24 male in a high pressure contact sport. He obviously likes to use his size to his advantage, which is what a ruck is supposed to do. The issue is that he uses at the wrong times and then mentally disappears from games.

I'm not super stressed, and if anything will straighten him out, it'll be seeing the Swans play finals, which he could of easily been apart of.

Each to their own, feel you are being a bit harsh, but I see your point I do. Just feel we have to get behind him, support the bloke, he'd be feeling rubbish about it. I'd rather back him to learn from it, not even counting the love tap earlier in the year, the MRP were being harsh at the time and it was so soft.
It's not just that one incident from the Port game and the weekend report. If you've watched Ladhams this year there's been a bunch of dumb frees given away, and times where if he was maybe a bit more co-ordinated and made contact, he'd be in more trouble. It's been at reserves level as well as senior, so maybe some haven't seen it. On the weekend you could see a report coming a mile off, he was being beaten, started becoming petulant. Some players would knuckle down and go "oh I'm being beaten physically, so I need to try harder" and Ladhams went "I'll just try and hurt someone off the ball, that'll make me look tough".

I'm not writing him off, his best is very good and the club probably see him as the next no.1, but I hope Horse or someone gave him an absolute bake when he came in on Monday. To abandon your teammates during finals is pretty low.

My biggest take out of the Ladhams suspension. Is that it's incredibly disappointing that a bloke who could realistically have a place in a strong finals team would put himself in this position during a vfl game. It shows he either has absolutely 0 awareness of life in general or that playinh proffessional footy isnt as high of a priority as it should be

How does he not compute that what he was doing could cost him a shot at a flag. Incredibly immature by a bloke in his position.

In the old terminology it was charging.

An attack on an unsuspecting player over the boundary line that was not “hard edged”, it was unsportsmanlike and dangerous.

He was lucky to escape with 3.
Really? Well maybe it has changed since I played, but nearly every play I've seen on the boundary line is pretty rough. So that being just a bit too much shouldn't have gained that much attention. Especially at the lower levels

Dude is out with concusuon which explains the 3 weeks. Though it was completely unnecessary and a s**t act and deserves 3 regardless of concussion.

But the calls to delist or that he has mental health issues are a bit much. He ****ed up and now has to sit out and watch his team mates go for premierships. He's 24 and has some maturing to do which he now gets an extra 4 weeks of off-season to do.

People forgetting he was pretty decent before his implosion against Port.

Jonathan Brown talked about being suspended and having a moment when he realised that he was spending more time off the field than on.

Ladhams is a 24 male in a high pressure contact sport. He obviously likes to use his size to his advantage, which is what a ruck is supposed to do. The issue is that he uses at the wrong times and then mentally disappears from games.

I'm not super stressed, and if anything will straighten him out, it'll be seeing the Swans play finals, which he could of easily been apart of.
Brown had 3 p'ships from 4 GF appearance before this age & Ladhams has been in the system for 6 years now.
Not buying excuses for him.

Really? Well maybe it has changed since I played, but nearly every play I've seen on the boundary line is pretty rough. So that being just a bit too much shouldn't have gained that much attention. Especially at the lower levels
It wasn't part of the play. Ladhams saw the opportunity to hurt an unsuspecting opponent and started his charge after the ball was away. It was a dumb attempt to impose himself in a game where he was being outbodied, convinces no-one. I'm fine with the 3 weeks, deserves it for stupidity alone. That he's let his teammates down in finals, is an aside to wanting that kind of behaviour stamped out, but very disappointing.

Having said that, hopefully he changes his ways and his best is clearly very good.

If it's good enough for Ruck Jesus, it's good enough for me. Backing our culture to help Ladhams with his temprement. Hopefully Hickey/Cox can help him out a bit as they are ruckman too.
Maybe after our finals are over.
He can have all the time he needs.
In the mean time he's done for this year & all our energy should be put into more important things.
He's removed himself from further interfering with our premiership tilt, though he has left us in a dangerous position because of his action.
2023's problem now.

The guy is as thick as two short planks. If he was smart he would not have done anything so stupid

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back