Player Watch #19 Peter Ladhams

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong competition for spots at the wrong end of the ground unfortunately.
He fills our second most important gap. Yes, a ready to go KPD would have been fantastic but there just wasn't one on the market. The next gap was a ruckman ready to take over from Hickey. Bingo! Got one.
Next year the talls will probably be Buddy, Ladhams, McDonald. 2023 after Bud and Hick retire or step back there's a big chance it's McDonald, McLean and Amartey.
Those guys will get games next year.

Great get for the swans. Ends an otherwise awful trade period on a positive note, and we got him for a good price (credits built up from the aliir trade i suppose)

Decent athleticism for a big guy

Disciplinary stuff was around breaching covid rules. Perhaps a couple of other include t's as well.

I wonder if Hinkley/List Manager just plain shot themselves in the foot here.
Ladhams goes to Hinkley and says "I can't see myself being #1 ruck in this lifetime, mind if I take a look around?"
Ken, busy with the form guide or whatever says "sure, why not?".
Ladhams sneaks Kinnear's number out of his wallet, rings and says "that #1 ruck spot still open? Ken's given me permission to look around. Hehehe."
Kinnear says "Leave it all to me Pete".
A week later, Ken reads the paper and goes "Oh crap, Pete's on the plane to Sydney for Pick 39. Better do something".
The rest we know.
Silliest thing out to allow a contracted player to test the waters.
Anyhoo, with luck we have a good ruck to succeed Hick for about 8 or so years for Pick 24. Fair enough I say.

I had a gut feel about getting Ladhams once we heard Dawson wanted to go home to SA. I was annoyed when Dawson nominated Adelaide but if we combine the two deals, it’s a good outcome overall. I’m delighted to hear the Port people saying what a good get Ladhams will be!

For those who say that Swans are too soft at the trade table, I don’t think Port would have agreed that deal with a club that is difficult to deal with. Relationships matter in business. So long as we make sure the clubs we deal with get something in a trade (e.g. facilitating Aliir trade) then when they want something (e.g. offload Ladhams salary for a reasonable deal) they are willing to make sure we get something too.

We lost the Aliir trade last year but won overall with the Hickey get. I suspect we will feel about the same way about this trade period in the future. And I suspect Port feels happy based on its trades with us the last two years. This is good trading and good business.

Harley on Peter Ladhams: "He's got a four-year contract and we think he's going to add significantly to our list build. "Long-term ruckmen are hard to find, and he'll play a complementary role to Tom Hickey for the next little while."

Very keen to see what he can do here. And like others have said, it's refreshing to have a player request a trade to us and we get the deal over the line.

As much as I love McLean and Amartey and want them to be key pillars in our side, Ladhams is a clear upgrade on both of them. When he assumes the #1 ruck role for us, he'll be coming into his prime at 25/26 and with our young midfield, there's a lot to look forward to.

Harley on Peter Ladhams: "He's got a four-year contract and we think he's going to add significantly to our list build. "Long-term ruckmen are hard to find, and he'll play a complementary role to Tom Hickey for the next little while."
Was this on SEN?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great get for the swans. Ends an otherwise awful trade period on a positive note, and we got him for a good price (credits built up from the aliir trade i suppose)

Decent athleticism for a big guy

Disciplinary stuff was around breaching covid rules. Perhaps a couple of other include t's as well.

Keep telling yourself that. Dawson will be top 3 at the Crows next year, and likely for 5+ years hence. He's a gigantic loss.
I don't think there's a swans supporter that doesn't think it's a massive loss, but the outcome, after Dawson picking the crows, could of been so much worse. Imagine if North accepted the pick swap and all the Crows had to deal with we're a few pick 30s. To get a best 22 player from another club is something we haven't been able to do in the better part of the decade, and to get that while losing one of stars is a consolation.

Not getting a best 22 player AND losing Dawson and Hewett would of been mind numbing.

The Swans did a very good job this trade period with the had that was dealt.

I don't think there's a swans supporter that doesn't think it's a massive loss, but the outcome, after Dawson picking the crows, could of been so much worse. Imagine if North accepted the pick swap and all the Crows had to deal with we're a few pick 30s. To get a best 22 player from another club is something we haven't been able to do in the better part of the decade, and to get that while losing one of stars is a consolation.

Not getting a best 22 player AND losing Dawson and Hewett would of been mind numbing.

The Swans did a very good job this trade period with the had that was dealt.

Agreed.

Overall it was a pretty s**t trade period but I think the club did the absolute best they could have under the circumstances. No complaints with how they performed.

Yep, highlights video looks good. A much better mark than Sinclair, seems more agile than McLean and a much more accurate kick at goal than Reid. May hinder Amartey progress slightly but Buddy likely will be gone in 2023 and Hickey form likely drop off after this year so I'm happy to get him!
Not sure he's a better mark than Reid. Port fans say that's his major weakness though he has improved.

4 year deal to me means likely to be smoothed out $$$

Protects us against ruck void whilst we wait for 2022 Academy ruck prospect. Now to concentrate fully on KPP's !!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back