Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, true. What exactly is his injury? Bone on bone, fractures, tendon issues? All of the above? IFIIK tbh
Fromm the NMFC report:
“Scans confirmed there was a minor issue with his sesamoid following the surgery to his syndesmosis [ankle],” Saunders explained.
So he had surgery on his syndesmosis which is the joint just above the ankle where the tibia and fibula meet. As you can imagine a great deal of stress will go though that area so to have this operated on is not to be glossed over. Apparently after surgery it is recommended that the patient not walk for up to two months.

The sesamoid mentioned here is in the big toe. This seems to be under some strain so it seems that Sammy has been back in training after surgery and rehab and his running gait has changed a little to compensate. This has caused a stress reaction in his load bearing big toe so he needs to wind back the loading so as to allow the reaction to clear up. Once it is ok, I guess they will continue to increase the load and monitor the joint and foot to ensure the best recovery possible.

Fromm the NMFC report:

So he had surgery on his syndesmosis which is the joint just above the ankle where the tibia and fibula meet. As you can imagine a great deal of stress will go though that area so to have this operated on is not to be glossed over. Apparently after surgery it is recommended that the patient not walk for up to two months.

The sesamoid mentioned here is in the big toe. This seems to be under some strain so it seems that Sammy has been back in training after surgery and rehab and his running gait has changed a little to compensate. This has caused a stress reaction in his load bearing big toe so he needs to wind back the loading so as to allow the reaction to clear up. Once it is ok, I guess they will continue to increase the load and monitor the joint and foot to ensure the best recovery possible.
Sounds like disastrous levels of mismanagement and also he is a girl. Sack Saunder.

Fromm the NMFC report:

If that correct then I dont think we will see him this year.

Theyre stringing along fans like I believe they have been doing the past few years.

If that correct then I dont think we will see him this year.

Theyre stringing along fans like I believe they have been doing the past few years.
To what end?

The reality is that these things can take time to come good, but with no exact time frame. He could be sweet in 5 weeks, or he might need another month after that. It will take as long as it needs and it isn't a conspiracy of silence to keep supporters from demanding the heads of the medical staff.

To what end?

The reality is that these things can take time to come good, but with no exact time frame. He could be sweet in 5 weeks, or he might need another month after that. It will take as long as it needs and it isn't a conspiracy of silence to keep supporters from demanding the heads of the medical staff.
I just think given what you said about that injury and a gut feel that he will be out for a lot longer. I just feel the club (like other clubs) project a a lot more optimism or dont tell the full truth to keep their fans a lot more interested or engaged. Which I can understand if so.

For instance last year when we were losing games and coming up to a finals series without the likes of Jacobs, Wright etc.

I am not criticising the club as I rarely do that, its just more what I feel they do. Having close to their best team out there ASAP helps the bottom line no doubt.

Since we have the bye I'm watching the 2014 elimination final.
I'll watch the 2015 after this. Both glorious.

But Jesus, when Sammy intercepted that mark in the third I yelled out 'HERE WE COME' & still watching it, its exciting.

---

Rest hom for the rest of this year & get him right for our next premiership tilt.
..which is next year.

Look out, misery guts alert!

prozac.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be back playing VFL in a week or two from what I've been told.

One of our best decision makers and kicks when up and about.

If he is fit he is one of my first picked in the 22.
Weird I was just thinking about Sammy (in a non sexual way) about 15 mins ago while making a coffee. With talks of Pittard and missing out on Touhy we greatly miss this guy but just cant get on the park. One of my favourite players.

Since we have the bye I'm watching the 2014 elimination final.
I'll watch the 2015 after this. Both glorious.

But Jesus, when Sammy intercepted that mark in the third I yelled out 'HERE WE COME' & still watching it, its exciting.

---

Rest hom for the rest of this year & get him right for our next premiership tilt.
..which is next year.
I remember doing acid and watching that game. It was glorious.

Will make a difference when he is back. Guys will EVW will benefit from his presence on the field.
So, you don't think EVW will go out to make way for Sam? I'd probably agree, with Mullet the most likely to be replaced. It wouldn't surprise me, however, to see Sam play very few games this year. They'll (continue to) manage him very, very conservatively you'd think.

So, you don't think EVW will go out to make way for Sam? I'd probably agree, with Mullet the most likely to be replaced. It wouldn't surprise me, however, to see Sam play very few games this year. They'll (continue to) manage him very, very conservatively you'd think.
Agree that Mullet makes way as I like the way EVW has gone about it. Yes put in moth balls if it means we get more out of Sam in 2018. Not worth risking long term injury for effectively no short term return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back