Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam thanks for the memories.

From the start with that Tina Turner hairstyle with arms like a 12 yr old ( they stayed the same )
Started as a flanker with goal sense with duel sided skills then became a good rebounded from the back half.

Your seem like a gem of guy and you’re a winner in my eyes.

Shinboner

Had a feeling it was coming, but sad to see it happen.

Sadly never got back to pre-injury form, was a debilitating injury to pick up when he did.

All the best in the future Sammy, you will be well and truly missed.

It's pretty much all been said. (And well said, too, might I add. Nice work.)

Sad news. Genuinely thought he'd make it back this year. Seems I was wrong. Which sucks. (Not the being wrong part, but the bit where we don't get to see Sammy going around for us anymore.)

Glad he'll be forever remembered for that mark, but hopefully at the same time North and opposition supporters alike will remember him as being so much more than that. Very talented lockdown defender who went about his job with minimum fuss and maximum class.

Onya, Sam. May post-footy life treat you well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't we give him a farewell game this Friday night?

Is dropping JMac illegal?
Mate, it's our 150th anniversary game. This game to me is ultra important to win and a milestone like this won't come for another 25 years.
Sam said his body isn't up to it. That's it.

Sad to hear this news.

Good luck to Sam for the next phase of his life etc.

One of the few players I actually liked.

In a team of makeshift / late bloomer / ring-in defenders, Sam was one dude with a football brain who truly belonged in that back six.

The anti-Macmillans, as my mate Onip liked to call him.
People talk about the mark, but I'll never forget this.

Classic.

Absolute shank of a kick as well, which kinda makes it an even better "up yours Seagull" moment.
YES!!!!, I remember that well, Wrighty owned Goddard( pretty much near the height of his career at the time), and even better he knew it, and made sure Goddard did too. Loved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back