Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

I was born in the mid 90s, so I missed all our glory days. But what that means is that years like 2014-15 are huge to me in my memories of the club, and no moment was bigger in them that Sammy Wright from Katamatite taking that mark, and turning the game on its head against the scum. I'll be telling my grandkids about that.

Enjoy your retirement fella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Katamatite to Swan Lake!

What would the locals make of this Gaso?!

1578958484990.png

......retired Roo Sam Wright’s connection with the Australian Ballet during his playing career has paid dividends, with the former defender scoring a full-time job as the company’s welfare and development coordinator.

Wright and the Kangaroos two years ago turned to ballet to help him overcome foot injuries. Now Wright is giving back.

“Sam is applying his experience of a highly successful AFL welfare program to the ballet world with a goal of improving artistic performance and dancer wellbeing,” Dr Sue Mayes told the Kangaroos’ website.

“The dancers appreciate the support and input from an elite athlete who has himself benefited from the AFL’s proactive approach of preparing players for a future beyond professional footy.

“The introduction of this position in a professional ballet company is a world first.”

Whack him in the retirement village, mods. :thumbsu:

Taking a bit of Brad Scott into the arts.

Swan Lake Opening Night preview : "It's not about nailing the ballet, it's just about being respected by other productions"

Hopefully at the end of their ballet careers they all have houses

Swan Lake Opening Night preview : "It's not about nailing the ballet, it's just about being respected by other productions"

...........and having a property portfolio when you retire................

Gets a gig in the ruck (!?) in the prestigious ‘Victims of Toby Greene’ Team of the Century E0F848EE-4D28-46D8-8F85-5ACA142CA743.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back