Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of this year where if we were to find ourselves at the bottom of the ladder and getting a high pick in the superdraft can hopefully be both Sammy and Ben Jacobs getting back up to full speed without massive pressure and then having a good pre-season so they are back in full effect for next season aka 2019 The Year We Show Josh Why He Needs To Come Home.

Also, remember when BALL PLAYER GENTLEMAN OF THE GAME Kent Trotchin poleaxed Sammy from behind ands got himself three weeks?

I'm sorry, I don't like sounding like a negative Nancy - especially considering his lengthy rehab. But the only person I would probably want Sam Wright stealing game and development time over at the moment is Jamie McMillan. What would our plan ideally be for him?

I'm sorry, I don't like sounding like a negative Nancy - especially considering his lengthy rehab. But the only person I would probably want Sam Wright stealing game and development time over at the moment is Jamie McMillan. What would our plan ideally be for him?
A good user on both sides that can defend. There has to be a spot for him

Why would he be stealing game time? He’s 27, not 37 and he’s probably our best ball user off hb.

Hi Nancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or Clarke goes into the midfield. Wright tp half back and LDU can have a rest for now

Why would he be stealing game time? He’s 27, not 37 and he’s probably our best ball user off hb.

Considering our options at half-back at the moment - EVW, Clarke, Williams, Mc Donald.
Coupled with the fact that the club needs to develop the plethora of HBF in the 2's - Willams, Ahern, Morgan, Hibberd
Is there anyones spot you can see him immediately taking?

Considering our options at half-back at the moment - EVW, Clarke, Williams, Mc Donald.
Coupled with the fact that the club needs to develop the plethora of HBF in the 2's - Willams, Ahern, Morgan, Hibberd

McDonald and/or Clarke could move into midfield as others have said.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ideally Clarke to midfield would be my choice. He is so much better up the ground it's not funny.

The Clarke in defense experiment is a huge bust. Just need the coaches to admit it.

In my opinion, fully fit, Sammy is a better footballer than any of those right now. The objective should still be to win as many games as possible and if he reaches full fitness then he should be in the team.

Ideally Clarke to midfield would be my choice. He is so much better up the ground it's not funny.

The Clarke in defense experiment is a huge bust. Just need the coaches to admit it.

Not sure it’s a total bust. Is still somewhat of an educational year for a lot of players, Clarke included. Will form a good defensive base for him to move more into the midfield in the second half of the year/next year.

Not sure we have to rush Sam back in. Has missed a lot of footy the past couple of years. Don’t get me wrong will be great to see him back in but think we need to take a time a little and make sure everything is spot on before doing so.

In my opinion, fully fit, Sammy is a better footballer than any of those right now. The objective should still be to win as many games as possible and if he reaches full fitness then he should be in the team.
Yup. Winning is great for development and a fit and in form Sammy is someone I'd be stoked to have back in the team. Look at what a difference BJ has made.

I don't think he'll come in immediately. When a spot opens up, and it will at some point, he'll be in. I doubt he'll go out when he does come in. He's quality.

Ahern will be a season long work of player management. Hibberd would be a chance to get a game soon. He could take LDU's spot this week. Wright is in a different stratosphere to Morgan or Williams. Both need to show something at VFL level before I'd even consider them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back