Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Arden Street

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wright_Medium.jpg

Name: Sam Wright
Height: 188cm
Weight: 76kg
Recruited From: Murray Bushrangers
Draft History: Pick 27 in the 2008 National Draft

North Melbourne’s second round selection in the 2008 National Draft, Wright played in the Murray Bushrangers premiership team in the TAC Cup.

Standing at 188cm, Wright is a versatile utility who can play forward, midfield or down back. After starting the season up forward for the Bushrangers, Wright was pushed to half-back and it saw an immediate increase in his work rate and consistency. He went on to play a significant role in the Bushrangers Grand Final win.

Wright averaged 18 disposals and one and a half goals a game after playing every match in 2008.

Did well I thought for such a low % on ground.

Is tall, and will fill out to a good size I would think :thumbsu:

Apart from his first touch of the footy, was extremely clean with the ball, and oozes a bit of class.

Should play a Clinton Young type role for us in the next few years.

Needs to definately play next week

Who is Clint Young?

Did well I thought for such a low % on ground.

Is tall, and will fill out to a good size I would think :thumbsu:

Apart from his first touch of the footy, was extremely clean with the ball, and oozes a bit of class.

Should play a Clinton Young type role for us in the next few years.

Needs to definately play next week

TBH, it looked like he could handle a bit more of the contested stuff than Clinton can. But maybe he doesn't have the same penetration to his kicking, as Young does have a booming kick.

But I definitley think Wright has a future. Looked like he has a good feel for the game, like he could sense where blokes were around him and knew when he was under pressure and had to get rig of it quickly. Good signs.:thumbsu:

I agree with most of your post but will be extremely disappointed if the NMFC ever plays a bloke as soft as Clinton Young.

Thought he had a pretty good game. Looking forward 2 seeing more of him in the future :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to shabby from the young bloke. Good to see he kept his head up even though a couple of his touches were poo. Has a nice kick and i think the run today will fill him with a bit of confidence. Good to see another one of our recruits on the park. Bring On liam anthony!

Nah mate Power was great on Selwood not only on keeping him under 45 disposals but really hurting the Cats when he had the ball :thumbsu:

How fantastic was the play on advantage that he took late in the last Quarter which ended up straight to a Geelong defender? Shades of the fantastic kick to no one against Hawthorn just before Half Time which resulted in a goal to them. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back