Delisted #19: Shaun Edwards - Rookied by Sydney, now retired from AFL - 22/9

Anyone feel like he lost us the VFL final? man, he did about 3 selfish kicks on goal in the 3rd. I felt like he could have slowed down and passed to someone in a better possie.. and now i hear he knew he was delisted... makes me wonder if he was playing for himself to get a shot somewhere else...
Blaming him for the loss is a step way too far.

The entire team stopped running in the last quarter.

I reckon he knew he was gonna be delisted the moment he played on in the goal square and missed that day, MONTHS ago. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Whether someone confirmed that to him or not before the last couple of games is probably irrelevant... he's been playing for another chance all year (either with us or somewhere else), and he's been inconsistent with flashes of brilliance, in and out of games all year as well.

Probably worth a go round on a rookie list somewhere, and I wouldn't be completely opposed to listing him on ours if there was a spot. But honestly I agree with the way Andronicus summed it up... and it's time to move on. So thank you, Shaun, and all the best with the future.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
On a side note, hats off to the way club has dealt with players departing. None of that mass delisting/crappy press release you see. Giving players their own day to have their careers celebrated is a very classy way to go about it. :thumbsu:

Just doesnt have enough AFL traits. Not as fast as he thinks he is and sells himself into trouble.

Ball watches too often.

Hasnt improved 1 bit in the last 3 years at any level

Nailed it - I can't recall someone allegedly so talented who was like a 'deer in headlights' when he had the ball - Edwards often panicked 'big time' when he had the ball in his hands - Not AFL standard.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Wondering why people feel so bad for him? People get delisted every year. Seems people that were an early drsft pick or had 'loads' of talent get a lot of love. Shaun wasn't good enough, didn't work hard enough and didn't have the football brain for the skills he had.

Sad to see any player go. But he had 4 years in the system. Time to give another hard working kid a shot.

Best of luck Shaun. If another club gives you the chance I hope you turn it all around.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Wondering why people feel so bad for him? People get delisted every year. Seems people that were an early drsft pick or had 'loads' of talent get a lot of love. Shaun wasn't good enough, didn't work hard enough and didn't have the football brain for the skills he had.

Sad to see any player go. But he had 4 years in the system. Time to give another hard working kid a shot.

Best of luck Shaun. If another club gives you the chance I hope you turn it all around.

Agree. The carry on with the 'loads of talent' he had is quite annoying tbh. His type a dime a dozen. So he could pick up the ball at speed with one hand & hit a bloke on the chest on his opposite foot - then in the next breathe watch his opponent run off him & set up a goal for the opposition because he couldn't be arsed chasing...pfffft...move on. He'll be playing local footy somewhere next year. Guaranteed.

An article from AFL.com.au - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-08/swans-wont-rule-out-making-play-for-delisted-don

Can someone explain the bolded part to me? Sydney haven't spoken to Shaun. They haven't spoken to his manager, in fact, haven't spoken to anyone it seems, but AFL.com.au reckons he could go to Sydney.

THE Sydney Swans haven't made contact with former Essendon and Greater Western Sydney forward Shaun Edwards, but won't rule anything out.

AFL.com.au understands the Swans haven't spoken with Edwards or his manager about throwing him an AFL lifeline.

The Bombers delisted the 22-year-old last month after he played 12 games in three seasons in the red and black.

The Giants acquired Edwards as a NT zone selection in 2011.

He played 12 games in two seasons for the Giants before joining the Bombers at the end of 2013.

Edwards only made three appearances for the Bombers this year despite having a dozen players serving season-long doping suspensions.

His form remained strong in the VFL and he picked up 26 possessions for Essendon in a finals loss to Footscray.

Edwards has played mainly on the wing or at half-forward, but has also spent time at half-back.

Clubs have until November 30 to sign players who have been delisted.

1. Journalist reads a rumour.
2. Journalist asks relevant club to verify rumour.
3. Said club refuses to confirm or deny anything.
4. Kaboom. Front page 'news'.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you guys think there's any chance this guy could live up to his potential if given another shot at it? He has literally all the physical attributes to make him the player North need, but if you can't crack a game at Essendon in 2016 I guess there must be something significantly wrong with your game... Thoughts on whether a different approach could help him make it or is he a lost cause? He's still only 22...

Do you guys think there's any chance this guy could live up to his potential if given another shot at it? He has literally all the physical attributes to make him the player North need, but if you can't crack a game at Essendon in 2016 I guess there must be something significantly wrong with your game... Thoughts on whether a different approach could help him make it or is he a lost cause? He's still only 22...
If you read back through this thread the general consensus is that he lacks the work rate and/or the motivation to make it at AFL level. To be fair to him, GWS isn't exactly the place for keeping on project players, and Essendon has given him four coaches in three of the worst seasons in the club's history. The only time he's had more than three senior games in a row was in his first year at GWS, and Bomber Thompson didn't give him any games at all. I dare say a season complete under each of Bomber Thompson and John Worsfold and only three games to show for it is pretty telling, but make of that what you will.

Has literally everything. Worth a shot really.

Back