Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, well I mean, Chol can actually go in the ruck (unlike Lynch) and Nank can play as a forward if need be (better than Lynch).

So...

Did you miss that qualifying final where Chol played Lynch’s role and got completely dominated?
No I agree, Lynch can be a big asset. Chol isn't amazing by any stretch. But comparitively, if Chol does what Lynch does up forward (at the moment, it feels like he probably could), AND can go in the ruck (which Lynch can't) then it probably has to be thought about. A second ruckman allows Nank to go forward more too.

I just think Lynch has been extremely disappointing in quite a few games this season. He's had some good ones, but the majority doesn't feel like he's had much impact.

No I agree, Lynch can be a big asset. Chol isn't amazing by any stretch. But comparitively, if Chol does what Lynch does up forward (at the moment, it feels like he probably could), AND can go in the ruck (which Lynch can't) then it probably has to be thought about. A second ruckman allows Nank to go forward more too.

I just think Lynch has been extremely disappointing in quite a few games this season. He's had some good ones, but the majority doesn't feel like he's had much impact.
No offence to Marbs, but he isn’t in the same ball park as Lynch as a forward, even if Tom’s not in the best of form.

Personally I haven’t had too much of an issue with Lynch’s year, the thing that’s let him down is his conversion.

No offence to Marbs, but he isn’t in the same ball park as Lynch as a forward, even if Tom’s not in the best of form.

Personally I haven’t had too much of an issue with Lynch’s year, the thing that’s let him down is his conversion.

This

Hes averaging just under 4 shots on goal a game,

and hes had 3 games where hes gone

1 goal 4 (almost all of these were set shots)
3 goals 5
and 1 goal 3

he evens those out to

3 goals 2 (almost all of these were set shots)
5 goals 3
and 2 goals 2

and hes kicked 20 goals for the season equal to tom hawkins

oh and wed also have beaten port by 4 points

This

Hes averaging just under 4 shots on goal a game,

and hes had 3 games where hes gone

1 goal 4 (almost all of these were set shots)
3 goals 5
and 1 goal 3

he evens those out to

3 goals 2 (almost all of these were set shots)
5 goals 3
and 2 goals 2

and hes kicked 20 goals for the season equal to tom hawkins

oh and wed also have beaten port by 4 points

I agree he is getting 4-5 looks a game. Starts converting he is flying.

Also have lynch there relieves the pressure on the rest as he attracts the best defender and at most times a crowd. Without lynch our fwd line would get slaughtered with the best defenders doing what they want.

That final he missed against Brisbane when he was replaced by Chol is enough for me to know how important he is. Never want to see that again.
We were effectively a man down. Chol has absolutely no football brain. Just need a player who crashes packs to slot in there if Lynch was to go down as that's like 90% of his game.

We were effectively a man down. Chol has absolutely no football brain. Just need a player who crashes packs to slot in there if Lynch was to go down as that's like 90% of his game.
Anyone that could bring ball to ground and get Harris Andrews to respect them would have been enough to win

key forward combinationgoalsbehindsgoal assistsmarksdisposalstackles
Lynch/Riewoldt5308215
McKay/Casboult3319181
Lynch/Riewoldt62211181
O’Brien/Koschitzke21112181
Lynch/Riewoldt44113224
Reid/Mcdonald2338203
Lynch/Riewoldt4336180
Dixon/Georgiades13110233
Lynch/Riewoldt84312263
King/Membrey1319190
Lynch/Riewoldt2225218
McDonald/Fritsch5129274
Lynch/Riewoldt46219231
Naughton/Bruce42013220
Lynch/Riewoldt2113113
Hawkins/Cameron103415422
Lynch/Riewoldt2415135
Hogan/Himmelberg41011202
Overall comparison across season37 v 32
Richmond
29 v 20 Richmond15 v 13 Richmond82 v 96 Opposition173 v 209 Opposition30 v 16 Richmond

Hogan must have had a contagious disease because he took several marks within 30 m of goal with no opponent within 10 metres of him. Last 4 rounds now with the team winning two and losing two matches, our boys have 10.13 and 6 goal assists v opposition two main key forwards 23.7 and 6 goal assists. Our boys are clearly putting in because they have 17 tackles v 8 in that period. Lynch’s inaccuracy, 15.19 for the season is having a negative impact. In his last 4 he has kicked 5.10, but also has 5 goal assists. Riewoldt is 5.3 with 1 goal assist so his scoring impact has diminished as the team targets Lynch more. At the other end the key forward are shooting the lamps out with 23.7 but they are also getting more marks(48-32) and disposals(111-68.)

So this looks symptomatic of what is happening upfield to a large extent, and with the midfield decimated it is clearly not going to be easy for key forwards and key backs. There will be a string of easier games and easier key forward h2h’s pre finals, but the team will need to bridge this gap that has appeared in the last 4 weeks by the time finals arrive. I think the selectors might possibly be a bit stuck here thinking they don’t want to lose run, but can’t play Chol(who is the better runner) ahead of Coleman-Jones(who is the better player.) I think get these key positions right and if Chol has the skill set required right now, bring him in to help Nank in the ruck and provide another aerial option forward. This has the added benefit of Balta being full time in defence where we are clearly having some issues right now. Balta can probably do more game time in that role allowing the mids some extra rotations.

To reiterate, I know Lynch is better than Chol. I'm not suggesting that back against Brisbane Lynch wouldn't have made a difference.

He does.

But, I have to say, that I think based on form, Nank is better up forward (we need two of him). Lynch might be getting to the ball, having looks, etc, but his form at the moment isn't very good. This is the reason why I suggested Chol / CCJ. If Lynch could chop out in the ruck then great, but he doesn't. For someone on 800k, a former captain of a club, it's a bit disappointing what he brings. It does (except for the Bulldogs game where he got roasted), feel like he needs silver service.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's certainly not in good form at the moment, but he's still getting his 3-5 shots on goal a game and seems to have 2-3 defenders on him at all time. I feel that we aren't cashing in on him having more than one opponent/worked out a system that helps him get more 1v1s.

But in all honesty, what the * do I know? Anyhow, he could literally never play again, and his recruitment would still be a resounding success :). What he did to Geelong in that preliminary final will bring me joy for the rest of my life.

Play him at CHF. Or as a sub. Seriously playing like a c grader at the moment.
flip side is he will take key defender or two when he is playing.

Just imagine what might happen if we actually kicked it to his advantage and we added a tall to the set up to drag at least one of the three defenders away from him who are usually hanging off him. Nope those pesky smalls are doing job though lets not play CC-J we can get something for him in the off season.

Watch some of his highlights from his suns days, he played completely differently to what he does now and he was so much more dangerous

I get we want him to crash packs and compete, but why not clear some space for him to lead into. You cant spoil him when he has the dukes out in front, like that mark on Taylor in the 19 Prelim.

"Lynch in for scans today. Has clearly been carrying an injury for much of the year IMO. Might see him rested this week."

Must be carrying something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back