Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol big tom is not there to kick goals. In any other system he would kick 60 or 80. Well hello he kicked 63 in 2019 what do people really think they would prefer
60 goals or 20.

Make no mistake big tom is there to kick goals!!!! Take marks, crash packs get on his bike and hit up at players etc etc. Its what is expected of all key forwards.

I always chuckle to myself when Hardwick comes out and defends players who are down on form its always the system talk and it is bull shite.

Im not even critical of Lynch this yr yep he is down a bit on previous seasons but the way the ball is coming is beyond a joke. To say he is not there to kick goals is a total nonsense and supporters gobble up the defense hook line and sinker.

I can tell you all now kicking goals and taking marks was expected of him in 2019 and we all know it is now.

So i gotta ask according to Dimma Lynch aint there to kick goals, neither is the three amigoes nor JR apparently, nope none of our forwards have to kick goals we can leave that to others lol.

We are three and three and have only beaten poor sides but hey there is nothing wrong atm no one is out of form if i listen to Dimma.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol big tom is not there to kick goals. In any other system he would kick 60 or 80. Well hello he kicked 63 in 2019 what do people really think they would prefer
60 goals or 20.

Make no mistake big tom is there to kick goals!!!! Take marks, crash packs get on his bike and hit up at players etc etc. Its what is expected of all key forwards.

I always chuckle to myself when Hardwick comes out and defends players who are down on form its always the system talk and it is bull sh*te.

Im not even critical of Lynch this yr yep he is down a bit on previous seasons but the way the ball is coming is beyond a joke. To say he is not there to kick goals is a total nonsense and supporters gobble up the defense hook line and sinker.

I can tell you all now kicking goals and taking marks was expected of him in 2019 and we all know it is now.

So i gotta ask according to Dimma Lynch aint there to kick goals, neither is the three amigoes nor JR apparently, nope none of our forwards have to kick goals we can leave that to others lol.

We are three and three and have only beaten poor sides but hey there is nothing wrong atm no one is out of form if i listen to Dimma.
Would love to see him tear Keith apart on Friday night

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Lynch is under pressure and deservedly so. He is our 2nd highest paid player and playing worse now than he did when coming back from the PCL. Its a major concern. Irrespective of what Dimma says publicly the club would have some serious concerns with 4 years at $1mil+ on a blackened deal still to go. His best game was the 2019 Prelim and its been downhill ever since. Of course he is in the team to kick goals. If that wasn't the case why the f do we kick it to him so often?

He moves at the same pace as a Granny with a zimmer frame and it can no longer be put down to a bung knee. If it doesn't improve then his contract will be a handbrake on our rebuild for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
60 goals or 20.

I always chuckle to myself when Hardwick comes out and defends players who are down on form its always the system talk and it is bull sh*te.

It's clearly worked over the last 4 years but I just can't see it working with the current rules in place and the stop/start nature of the game.
Teams with marking forwards and the ability to hit them inside 50 are clearly advantaged in 2021. Luckily we can count ourselves amongst them, we just need to better adapt to these farcical new rules. We are wasting so many inside 50 opportunities by bombing it in and hoping to lock it in and score. It's no longer working.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Tom can play that game crushing packs and one on one did it his first 2 years.Either he has been directed (Dimma hinted to it this week) not to or his injured for me add to that poor delivery in our 50.

loser 81 2 16

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes a very good game...but if he's not doing everything he can with all the mind coaching available at the club...to sort out his over thinking about goal kicking...then I'd be very disappointed.
(some might even call that the yips ;))

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
key forward combinationgoalsbehindsgoal assistsmarksdisposalstackles
Lynch/Riewoldt5308215
McKay/Casboult3319181
Lynch/Riewoldt62211181
O’Brien/Koschitzke21112181
Lynch/Riewoldt44113224
Reid/Mcdonald2338203
Lynch/Riewoldt4336180
Dixon/Georgiades13110233
Lynch/Riewoldt84312263
King/Membrey1319190
Lynch/Riewoldt2225218
McDonald/Fritsch5129274
Lynch/Riewoldt46219231
Naughton/Bruce42013220
Overall comparison across season33 v 18
Richmond
24 v 16 Richmond13 v 9 Richmond74 v 70 Richmond149 v 147 Richmond22 v 12 Richmond

Stiffer opposition last two matches. If you combine the main key forwards from the three teams we could loosely define as contenders the Tigers have met so far, Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Bulldogs, our pair are standing up alright.

Goals: Tigers 10 v Port/Demons/Dogs 10.

Behinds: Tigers 12 v Port/Demons/Dogs 6

Goal Assists: Tigers 7 v Port/Demons/Dogs 3

Marks: Tigers 30 v Port/Demons/Dogs 32

Disposals: Tigers 62 v Port/Demons/Dogs 72

Tackles: Tigers 9 v Port/Demons/Dogs 7

It will be interesting next week v the Cats, who until proven otherwise are in the same category. Our pair seem to turn less marks and disposals into more goals + goal assists, and behinds. 17 goals + goal assists and 12 behinds our pair v 13 goals + goal assists and 6 behinds the opponents from this sample.

Another way to express it, in the 3 matches our boys have combined for 29 scoring shots + goal assists where the opposition key forwards have combined for 19 scoring shots + goal assists. It is quite a difference.

The other interesting thing to note is Lynch had 3.5 and 2 goal assists v the Dogs, and Jack just 1.1 and no goal assists….but Hardwick singled out Riewoldt in particular to praise his influence on the match. Food for thought. 😁

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
60 goals or 20.

But if lynch kicks 60-70 goals how many do the rest of the team kick?

Do jack lambert dusty etc. Have the same output

loser 81 2 16

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
You really believe that is true?
Yep...I was only taking the p***.
I must admit...I have no idea what Dimma thinks.
I was so sure he didn't have what it took to be a good (let alone great) coach.
I have never particularly liked him (which gets me into a few arguments around here with his mates from school).
And I don't like what he's done with his missus.
However what he has achieved with this team...is nothing shot of phenomenal.
I mean, what I said was actually a passing thought I had when I read what you wrote...but I didn't mean anything by it.

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
60 goals or 20.

Thoughts on Lunch's game last Friday?

You keep playing the "I call it as it is" bullshit, but really all you do is squark negative crap. People here aren't complaining that you're critical of our players and coaching staff - there's absolutely times when its warranted. The issue is, is that's all you farrrking do! If you're gonna be quick out the box to be critical, why not sometimes be quick out the box to say something positive about the Richmond footy club, its players and/or its staff.

Give it a go...

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Thoughts on Lunch's game last Friday?

You keep playing the "I call it as it is" bullshit, but really all you do is squark negative crap. People here aren't complaining that you're critical of our players and coaching staff - there's absolutely times when its warranted. The issue is, is that's all you farrrking do! If you're gonna be quick out the box to be critical, why not sometimes be quick out the box to say something positive about the Richmond footy club, its players and/or its staff.

Give it a go...
Who was critical of Lynch. when i said im not even critical of Lynch, which bit of this did you not understand.
I was making comment on hardwicks comments of, he is not there to kick goals etc. I thought it was nonsense and quite clearly Toms game against WB confirmed it.He is definately there to impact the score board take strong marks crash packs present up at the ball etc etc.
Of course he is there to kick goals and do all the things kpd's are expected to do. What would you prefer his 60 goal 2019 season or a 25 goal season.
Yet even with all that i was not critical of him.

What we got from Hardwick was club spiel and a coach needlessly defending a player who was a bit down on form.
All he had to say was, tom has not been at his best this yr but we are sure he will turn it around.
What we got was tom is performing his role within the team etc etc when it was clear he was not performing that role as well as he has done.
The trouble with it all is some supporters are so gullible they swallow it up hook line and sinker.

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
Who was critical of Lynch. when i said im not even critical of Lynch, which bit of this did you not understand.
I was making comment on hardwicks comments of, he is not there to kick goals etc. I thought it was nonsense and quite clearly Toms game against WB confirmed it.He is definately there to impact the score board take strong marks crash packs present up at the ball etc etc.
Of course he is there to kick goals and do all the things kpd's are expected to do. What would you prefer his 60 goal 2019 season or a 25 goal season.

What we got from Hardwick was club spiel and a coach needlessly defending a player who was a bit down on form.
All he had to say was, tom has not been at his best this yr but we are sure he will turn it around.
What we got was tom is performing his role within the team etc etc when it was clear he was not performing that role as well as he has done.
The trouble with it all is some supporters are so gullible they swallow it up hook line and sinker.

I don't want to turn this thread into a back and forth between the two of us, but I think (probably due to how I responded to you) that you've missed the underlying message I was I trying to get across. What I was trying to say was that, posting negative comments about our coaches, players or overall club is ALL you do.

Is there a reason as to why you never post any positive messages about Richmond FC, its players or coaches? That is a genuine question.

We've literally dominated the AFL for 4 years now, and for the life of me, cannot remember you posting anything positive about us. Again, you do you, but I have to ask... why? Is it "to be different", "keep a lid on it"?

If you're going to live by the mantra "I call it as it is", well ffs mate, we have been the benchmark of the AFL for 4 years now....GET AROUND IT, and ENJOY IT!

thefendoff

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
your chest
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
OKC Thunder

You’re an absolute wet blanket

i thought his answer was perfect if i was playing for him i would have been rapt to be supported like that

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Pathetic season. Biggest dissappointment this season by a long shot.

A lot of our young players (mansell, Ross, balta) and low tier players (castagna, board) were really poor tonight, but those guys are not collecting $800k/year to drop sitters and not compete.

Seemingly Lynch can only play a big game when he is under pressure by all and sundry in the week leading up. He has been horrendous this season. Easily our worst dollar-production player.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Pathetic season. Biggest dissappointment this season by a long shot.

A lot of our young players (mansell, Ross, balta) and low tier players (castagna, board) were really poor tonight, but those guys are not collecting $800k/year to drop sitters and not compete.

Seemingly Lynch can only play a big game when he is under pressure by all and sundry in the week leading up. He has been horrendous this season. Easily our worst dollar-production player.

Bit harsh given his record at Richmond.

He relies on the blokes playing crap to get the ball in his area too

Back