Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron is mobile like JR. Lynch is like Hawkins. I gotta admit I was a bit surprised to see Lynch the JR role, up the ground. JR much more suited to tackling, knocking the ball on. Lynch is not.
I think even Hawkins is a lot more mobile than Tom Lynch. but Lynch isn't dominating in the air which is he's strength. in previous seasons he was one of the contested mark leaders he'd be no where near it atm.

I think he's been really disappointing too, which I said the week before last. He just doesn't play like he has been a captain at another club.

Unfortunately he doesn't use his body super well, so some training in that regard would help him so much.

It's like, should he be a Nick Riewoldt? Probably. Should be a Charlie Dixon? Probably. But he's stuck between doing both and therefore does neither.

His real strength is marking on the lead..so someone please tell me for the love of god why we don’t kick to him running on the lead?!
Instead we bomb it up in the air and he’s always caught out of position with 3 defenders beating him. It simply doesn’t work for us.

He is down on confidence - hence the fumbly marks & missing puds in front of goal

Stick those marks & kick those goals & he is meeting par ... just needs to break the rut
Well, last week should have been all the confidence he needed maybe not should have slotted 8. He seemed so far off it as his mind was on other things.

I think even Hawkins is a lot more mobile than Tom Lynch. but Lynch isn't dominating in the air which is he's strength. in previous seasons he was one of the contested mark leaders he'd be no where near it atm.
Hawkins is 198cm & 100kgs and mobile as you say. Lynch is very slow. When Jack R retires we need another 195 odd player. Doesn't look like CJ is under consideration.

Yeah I do agree and wouldn't change a thing given our success - but it's still true his contract will put some strain on our cap at a time when he probably won't be contributing as much
Honestly if we set ourselves up like Sydney have over the last few years it won't matter. Down for two years, who cares if there's a bit of cap space being wasted when you're fighting for draft picks? At the end of next year when they're primed for a flag assault they'll have $1m extra cap space. That's the model we need to follow imo. Extend your time as a genuine contender as much as possible, take the plunge and bounce back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

key forward combinationgoalsbehindsgoal assistsmarksdisposalstackles
Lynch/Riewoldt5308215
McKay/Casboult3319181
Lynch/Riewoldt62211181
O’Brien/Koschitzke21112181
Lynch/Riewoldt44113224
Reid/Mcdonald2338203
Lynch/Riewoldt4336180
Dixon/Georgiades13110233
Lynch/Riewoldt84312263
King/Membrey1319190
Lynch/Riewoldt2225218
McDonald/Fritsch5129274
Lynch/Riewoldt46219231
Naughton/Bruce42013220
Lynch/Riewoldt2113113
Hawkins/Cameron103415422
Overall comparison across season35 v 28
Richmond
25 v 19 Richmond14 v 13 Richmond77 v 85 Richmond160 v 189 Richmond25 v 14 Richmond

So once again Lynch and Riewoldt have smashed the opposition key forwards in the one area that matters - tackles. And by a whopping 50% 😎

Come at me Mopsy. 😂

I think he's been really disappointing too, which I said the week before last. He just doesn't play like he has been a captain at another club.

Unfortunately he doesn't use his body super well, so some training in that regard would help him so much.

It's like, should he be a Nick Riewoldt? Probably. Should be a Charlie Dixon? Probably. But he's stuck between doing both and therefore does neither.

To be fair, I do think he is hesitant to use his strength in a marking contest as he constantly gets pinged for it, whilst players like Hawkins, Walker etc do the same and don't.

I do feel he is better when he is crashing packs and moving. He isn't super mobile but when he can get a run at the ball, he is amazing, as evidenced by the Dogs game. It's just we rely so heavily on creating a contest in the air to bring ball to ground for our smalls that it congests our forward 50 and blocks any leading lanes he has.

If I was Xavier Clarke, I'd be pushing Riewoldt up to hit from centre half forward. Start Lynch in the square and have him steam forward into the space Riewoldt has vacated. I'd have Castagna coming in near Riewoldt for the loose ball should Riewoldt drop it, Bolton to push up to the wing and drift forward as needed. Aarts and Rioli to either present an option or double back to the goalsquare ready for a crumb or an easy over the back goal if it spills over the back of Lynch's contest.

Something along these lines.

forward structure.png

His real strength is marking on the lead..so someone please tell me for the love of god why we don’t kick to him running on the lead?!
Instead we bomb it up in the air and he’s always caught out of position with 3 defenders beating him. It simply doesn’t work for us.
Yep! Very hard for him to take a mark when it's bombed into the 50 over his head and he has 3 defenders hanging off him!

This bloke is a fu**en fraud. Absolutely useless
Did the last two years not happen or something?
it’s obviously a form slump
Jack went though a similar thing last season

Imagine relying on having to kick it to a 6ft 7inch bloke lace out each time on a lead.

If there are 3 blokes hanging off him, two other players are free so we'd be scoring heavily I'd have thought......

I mentioned it in the Bolton thread, but I have been banging on about it for weeks in here...

Forget the mark for just two seconds, have a look at poor Lynch, it's 1v3 with another bomber high ball entry on his head.

And people go crazy at him for underperforming... He can't win 1v3 battles all night long...

If Bolton doesn't take the hanger, it's another lost contest with ZERO support for Tom, now us using best options going inside forward 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back