Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Was arguing with a mate of mine today about how many drawn grannies there have been. I said three, he said two, and I had to delve into the magical word of Wikipedia to prove myself right.

However, I noticed something that I never have prior, that being Essendon seemingly pissed an easy flag win up the wall by kicking a ridiculous amount of behinds. Of course in the replay Melbourne had a seemingly lovely Spring day without having to flex their muscles too much, if at all, wondering if there was angst amongst the Dons faithful after the match that they seemingly shot themselves in the foot.

Was there a reason for this? Melbourne's points tally is seemingly normal for the time in comparison, and I couldn't find any match reports from my extensive search (read: googling what I was looking for then deciding to google "*ed jumping cats" to appease the missus)

Did the Don's players all put their left boots on their right foot? Was it the flag that they threw away as looking at the stats suggest?

Also, is there any other example in GF history of a side kicking more behinds than the opposition had scoring shots? I can only think of Hawthorn as clubs that have tried their best to beat this record.

Hawthorn in 1976 kicked 13.22 to 10.10 (but they won), as did Essendon in 1984 (14.21 to 12.9). Geelong nearly did it in 2008: 11.23 to Hawthorn's 18.7, and it did cost them the game. There have been a few other blowouts where the bad kicking didn't seriously affect that team's chances of winning.

North did their best in another draw, 1977: 9.22 to Collingwood's 10.16

Last edited:

North booting 2.11 in the second quarter, and then 0.7 in the final quarter, of the 1998 GF will live on in infamy in the annals of grand final inaccuracy.

Forgot about that, I remember thinking "if only we didn't play like lobotomy patients in the prelim" during the entire match.

Great article! Seems like it was the circus that it came across as initially.

An eight fingered full forward. Would have been a hero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back