1954 premiership players

Remove this Banner Ad

Ivan's fine, I believe, just not enamoured of BF these days!

Wonder if Harvey Stevens cares that we're in a GF, after the Talia-gate fall-out. Or will he barrack for his grandson's club in the same way Andrew Dunkley and Bill Picken will be cheering on the Dogs? :(

Have the greatest respect for the 54 team that won the premiership but the 61 team should also be spoken about in the same way, both teams made it to our two GF's yet one it virtually forgotten. What happens if we loose on Saturday, will this team be relegated to also rans like the 61 team?

Have the greatest respect for the 54 team that won the premiership but the 61 team should also be spoken about in the same way, both teams made it to our two GF's yet one it virtually forgotten. What happens if we loose on Saturday, will this team be relegated to also rans like the 61 team?
Great post [though I don't want to think about losing and hope none of the boys do either].

Here you go :thumbsu:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-1961-grand-final-footscray-team.1147040/

These boys are all time heroes for me regardless of what happens on Saturday or in the future, I'll never forget them. If this is the start of a period of success as it could well be with such a young squad then they're the trailblazers who started it all. If it all turns to s**t from here they're still the heroes who brought me a joy that no Bulldogs team in my lifetime has brought me before.

Harvey Stevens is apparently ok with the club and will attend the festivities (not known if he'll go to the game).

Peter box won't and neither will herb Henderson (too far for herb to travel at his age)

Some sad news today about the passing of 1954 premiership ruckman Harvey Stevens, grandfather of Michael (and Daniel) Talia, at the age of 86.

Always sad to see news like this filter through, I hope that he took some personal pleasure in watching the Dogs on the big stage this year.

Last edited:
Harvey Stevens, Western Bulldogs 1954 premiership hero passes away, aged 86
December 15, 20165:25pm
45b27ec633eb38fe08bc2cc92da6cd53

Bulldogs greats John Schultz and Harvey Stevens chat.

GLENN McFARLANEHerald Sun
THE Bulldogs have lost one of their 1954 premiership heroes Harvey Stevens, who died yesterday, aged 86.

Stevens was Footscray’s ruckman in the club’s first premiership success 62 years ago, and his passing leaves only seven members of the side still alive.

He was also the grandfather of Adelaide’s Daniel Talia, and Sydney’s Michael Talia.

Stevens expressed his disappointment at his old club when they accused Michael of passing on sensitive information to his brother in the lead-up to the elimination final against the Crows in 2015. Talia was subsequently traded to the Swans.

Stevens started his VFL career with Collingwood, playing 54 games from 1948 to 1952, playing in the club’s losing Grand Final in his final year at the club.

But he was controversially dumped by the Magpies ahead of the 1953 season, and picked up by Footscray, where his father had played.

783a28f2fa7f49cf593f47190842aeb8

Harvey Stevens wins the tap against North Melbourne’s Bob Brooker in 1954.Source:Supplied

He went on to win the best-and-fairest in his first year there and would play 72 games for the Bulldogs between 1953 and 1957.

After his 14th game, Stevens earned high praise from future Australian football Hall of Fame legend Jack Dyer.

“He’s one of the best ruckmen recruits I’ve seen come into the game,” he said.

“Young Stevens is a good one. He reminds me a lot of Phonse Kyne on the field. He’s got a lot of good football in him.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just bought id help with abit more info!

Thanks for providing the update on a past player. Glad he got to see another flag in his time

Some sad news today about the passing of 1954 premiership ruckman Harvey Stevens, grandfather of Michael (and Daniel) Talia, at the age of 86.

Always sad to see news like this filter through, I hope that he took some personal pleasure in watching the Dogs on the big stage this year.

Sorry to bounce an old thread (was just on a ramble through BF), but I've often wondered when/where that photo was taken. Stevens is wearing black shorts, which would indicate a home game at WO, but the player in the background is also wearing a Footscray jumper, and white shorts. Was this possibly a training night leading up the 54 GF? (Judging by the packed crowd, it looks more like a game though, and the black (home) and white (away) shorts convention was effective from the 1924 season. Did we get fined in a game in the 1950s for someone not wearing the correct shorts? Did the VFL or anyone really care in that era?)

Apologies for another post, but in ivan r's absence and any recent updates, I did a quick search of what were the 7 survivors at last count in this thread.

Peter Box passed away in August 2018. Found this little article from the aged care residence he moved to late in life, with a few snippets that I hadn't heard before:

including that he played in a baseball demonstration at the 56 Olympics for Australia v the US! Big September for him - a Brownlow (which he romped in by 6 votes) and the Olympics!

The Age, 26 Sept 1956

1614043260994.png

Wikipedia is also reporting Angus Abbey "was an Australian Rules footballer", and "was" is used to indicate the person is deceased, but I haven't seen or heard anything of his passing, and nothing online. Can anyone confirm? (Would have turned 95 last November.)

Of the other 5, they're certainly living to grand old ages:

Don Ross just turned 87, Doug Reynolds also 87, Herb Henderson is 90, Jim Gallagher is weeks away from 90, and Ron Stockman is 86.

Of course, they'll all live forever in the pantheon of RWB legends. :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largebluecircle::bulldogs:

Sorry to bounce an old thread (was just on a ramble through BF), but I've often wondered when/where that photo was taken. Stevens is wearing black shorts, which would indicate a home game at WO, but the player in the background is also wearing a Footscray jumper, and white shorts. Was this possibly a training night leading up the 54 GF? (Judging by the packed crowd, it looks more like a game though, and the black (home) and white (away) shorts convention was effective from the 1924 season. Did we get fined in a game in the 1950s for someone not wearing the correct shorts? Did the VFL or anyone really care in that era?)
Good detective work - also, he's just kicked a ball, and his teammate appears to have another ball in his hands, so it's either a massively attended training session such as Grand Final week, or a warm up for a game - if it is a game, one of them could have swapped shorts before the match started?

Good detective work - also, he's just kicked a ball, and his teammate appears to have another ball in his hands, so it's either a massively attended training session such as Grand Final week, or a warm up for a game - if it is a game, one of them could have swapped shorts before the match started?

Yeah, pre-GF training session seems the most likely explanation. (Not sure if the Terry Wallace 'pre-match warm-up' had been introduced in the 1950s! :) Unless it was a thing, then faded away, and Plough re-introduced it?)

My first thoughts on seeing this pic, too...

Maybe a practice match?

I went to a few in the 60s as a kid and they were always pretty well attended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back