1970 grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Their were a hell of a lot of turnovers :)

Not a game for the Woodsman (don't hear that name much these day) fans to watch though.

From memory it was Mike Williamson who said that. It ranks along with Teddy Whitten's plea to the Saints in the '66 GF to "....hit the boundary!!!" in the dying moments of the game V. the Pies as comments that stick in my mind.

The funniest line in the 66 grand Final is Alan 'Butch' Gale saying during the frantic final minutes "I'll have a heart attack if this keeps up" and Ted Whitten replies with "You've already had 3".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And a joy to see no hands in the back. What year and who started that trend. I suspect Dunstall.

Oh yeah, like nobody ever put their hands in the back before Dunstall. :rolleyes:

It is good to see people starting to realise how football was played in the 1970s, how it IS possible to take a mark from behind without pushing someone in the back, and how SOME parts of the game were much better than today's game. The other thing to watch is how ruckmen contested boundary throw ins without having to wrestle the opposition ruckman to the ground. The moment you put your hand on the other ruckman, it was a free kick.

I CAN tell you who changed that. Justin Madden. At a boundary throw ins he would put his hand in the opposition ruckman's chest and shepherd him away from the ball. It was an illegal tactic that for some reason umpires just let go, and it evolved in the wrestling match we see now.

Oh yeah, like nobody ever put their hands in the back before Dunstall. :rolleyes:

It is good to see people starting to realise how football was played in the 1970s, how it IS possible to take a mark from behind without pushing someone in the back, and how SOME parts of the game were much better than today's game. The other thing to watch is how ruckmen contested boundary throw ins without having to wrestle the opposition ruckman to the ground. The moment you put your hand on the other ruckman, it was a free kick.

I CAN tell you who changed that. Justin Madden. At a boundary throw ins he would put his hand in the opposition ruckman's chest and shepherd him away from the ball. It was an illegal tactic that for some reason umpires just let go, and it evolved in the wrestling match we see now.

Well, they were doing it at centre bounces thirty years ago, hence the line was brought in.

Anybody watching it on fox. Somehow fox has the sound lagging the action which is a bit annoying.
I don't think it is Fox's fault. I seem to remember watching other GFs from that era on ABC2 which had similar audio synch problems.

Foxtel could only obtain the rights to the ABC coverage to the VFL games, so it's different cameras and commentators.
Doug Heywood was definitely one commentator, Dick Mason may have been another.

I think it may have been Dick's brother, Doug & I think Tony Charlton was the other commentator.
Ah, thanks. I didn't watch it for long last night, I was certain about Doug Heywood but Dick Mason was a bit of a guess. :eek:

Still a classic after all these years. Lots of mistakes, but still fast and exciting. Jezza's goal to seal it is kicked from about the centre circle and just bounces through!

By the way, if you get a chance have a look at another classic GF, 1967 between Richmond and Geelong. Might have been 40 years ago, but still incredible, skillful game of footy.

Still a classic after all these years. Lots of mistakes, but still fast and exciting. Jezza's goal to seal it is kicked from about the centre circle and just bounces through!

By the way, if you get a chance have a look at another classic GF, 1967 between Richmond and Geelong. Might have been 40 years ago, but still incredible, skillful game of footy.

The '72 GF Carlton V. Richmond was also very good for skills and high scoring. Also a good look for anyone out there who doubts that Robert Walls wasn't a good player as he was BOG with 6 goals IMHO.

The '72 GF Carlton V. Richmond was also very good for skills and high scoring. Also a good look for anyone out there who doubts that Robert Walls wasn't a good player as he was BOG with 6 goals IMHO.

But Sheedy (who was one himself) was right when he called Walls a sniper, which he was. He was also an ankletapper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back