News 1970s Little League Scandal *Warning, might be confronting for some. Be respectful

Remove this Banner Ad

May I ask for some context around the Little League in the 1970s. What was the ages of the kids? How were they selected? Did it serve as a possible pathway to the seniors? I’d just be interested to get some better understanding.

I played twice for Collingwood and it would have been late 70's/early 80's. From memory it was all volunteer run and it was somehow linked to the junior footy team you played for. We were in the Colingwood zone hence playing for them. I remember it more based around my local footy team and all the people involved were coaches or volunteers from there. We were young kids, grade 4, 5 or 6 maybe?

There was no pathway to VFL clubs.

Last edited:
How sad. I aspired to play little league in the late 70s. Nothing would have made me prouder.
This is all too common. There is a special place in hell for these predators. May the victims find peace.

Blimey I nearly played in that team
I wanted to play for the little league back then. Probably would have if my grandmother wasn't such a Collingwood supporter. She did take me down to try out for the West Preston Falcons back in the day. She got into an argument with the coach about me not getting selected, and that was the end of my career there.

I played twice for Collingwood and it would have been late 70's/early 80's. From memory it was all volunteer run and it was somehow linked to the junior footy team you played for. We were in the Colingwood zone hence playing for them. I remember it more based around my local footy team and all the people involved were coaches or volunteers from there. We were young kids, grade 4, 5 or 6 maybe?

We used to have Collingwood players show up to training for St Raph's in West Preston. I showed up for the first training session with them in their filth prison bar jumpers and noped straight out of there and went home to train with the Serafini's. My grandmother was pissed. I think that she still secretly wanted me to start supporting the filth.

We used to have Collingwood players show up to training for St Raph's in West Preston. I showed up for the first training session with them in their filth prison bar jumpers and noped straight out of there and went home to train with the Serafini's. My grandmother was pissed. I think that she still secretly wanted me to start supporting the filth.

My Dad told me not to clap the players back onto the field when they had the guard of honour. We were told if you didn’t you would never play again so I clapped.

The first game I played was at Vic Park. Our team had the first ever female play in a Little League team.

I bleed blue, just took the words right out of my mouth, articles like this, make me sick. How does someone with multiple convictions, get off so easy?

Im glad that this story and the St Kilda one are getting some air time, I hope the AFL, Carlton and St Kilda go real hard on this, I also hope that more and more people come forward to weed out these scumbags and I hope when they do, they are taken seriously and given the support they need.

This story doesn’t sit well with me ’Liddle said Carlton was not aware of reports of Morice's offending until contacted by ABC Sport.
What crap, the Carlton football club weren’t aware that a man who coached their little league team for 5 years, was a convicted paedophile, convicted for crimes against boys during a time whilst he was a coach there.

This bloke was convicted over 6 years ago, are we that naive to think no one at the club heard of this, no one mentioned it to anybody or that no body noticed that his convictions were around the same time as his coaching tenure.

Last Friday, almost two months after Owen shared his story, St Kilda's Board approved the removal of Briggs and convicted paedophile Trevor Gravell from the club's life members' list. In 2014, Gravell was convicted of child sex crimes unrelated to the St Kilda Little League team.

Above is a quote from the same article, there is a line there that shows there still is such a long long way to go, in dealing with survivors of sexual abuse, St Kilda only this year cancelled a persons life membership, despite that person being a convicted sex offender for 7 years.

I dont care what anyone did for this club, Brownlow, best and fairest, premierships, if it ever comes out that, they sexually abused kids and are convicted, your name is erased, your history, your association with the club is done.

My Dad told me not to clap the players back onto the field when they had the guard of honour. We were told if you didn’t you would never play again so I clapped.

The first game I played was at Vic Park. Our team had the first ever female play in a Little League team.
I ended up playing grade 5 and 6 for Heatherton primary school after we got out of the Penguuin academy at St Raphs. Lets just say that I was a level above the rest of the kids thanks to Renato and Lauri... and the occasional visit from Garry Wilson.

Your original post was edited as you suggested it should be a stand alone thread which it now is.

hi Aphrodite. Yes indeed. But I believe the part which was edited would have clarified Thylacine’s confusion. Certainly I can understand why he finds the current edit confusing. Anyway, I’m happy to let it stand. But want to go on record that I’m not saying things like this were swept under the carpet to protect victims.

I bleed blue, just took the words right out of my mouth, articles like this, make me sick. How does someone with multiple convictions, get off so easy?

Im glad that this story and the St Kilda one are getting some air time, I hope the AFL, Carlton and St Kilda go real hard on this, I also hope that more and more people come forward to weed out these scumbags and I hope when they do, they are taken seriously and given the support they need.

This story doesn’t sit well with me ’Liddle said Carlton was not aware of reports of Morice's offending until contacted by ABC Sport.
What crap, the Carlton football club weren’t aware that a man who coached their little league team for 5 years, was a convicted paedophile, convicted for crimes against boys during a time whilst he was a coach there.

This bloke was convicted over 6 years ago, are we that naive to think no one at the club heard of this, no one mentioned it to anybody or that no body noticed that his convictions were around the same time as his coaching tenure.

Last Friday, almost two months after Owen shared his story, St Kilda's Board approved the removal of Briggs and convicted paedophile Trevor Gravell from the club's life members' list. In 2014, Gravell was convicted of child sex crimes unrelated to the St Kilda Little League team.

Above is a quote from the same article, there is a line there that shows there still is such a long long way to go, in dealing with survivors of sexual abuse, St Kilda only this year cancelled a persons life membership, despite that person being a convicted sex offender for 7 years.

I dont care what anyone did for this club, Brownlow, best and fairest, premierships, if it ever comes out that, they sexually abused kids and are convicted, your name is erased, your history, your association with the club is done.
Abusing kids, abusing women... should have the same reaction.

I ended up playing grade 5 and 6 for Heatherton primary school after we got out of the Penguuin academy at St Raphs. Lets just say that I was a level above the rest of the kids thanks to Renato and Lauri... and the occasional visit from Garry Wilson.

Laurie actually MC’d a networking breakfast I attended recently. Funny bloke.

There were a few LL players that played senior footy.

Steven Smith, Mangels, & John Peter-Budge. JPB used to kill it in the half time games.

You’re right about the pathways. Richmond used to use Essex Heights as a u/15 u/17 development squad though.

....and there was Teal Cup. Played in that, can’t remember who for.....Mountain District or something, used to get a half schoolday off to train but.

There were a few LL players that played senior footy.

Steven Smith, Mangels, & John Peter-Budge. JPB used to kill it in the half time games.

You’re right about the pathways. Richmond used to use Essex Heights as a u/15 u/17 development squad though.

Yeah I have no doubt many who played Little League went on to play VFL. I just don’t recall it being a pathway. I was a terrible footballer but still got to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laurie actually MC’d a networking breakfast I attended recently. Funny bloke.
I always remember him having a smile on his face. Used to love going over the road to Mama Serafini's place for the occasional lunch. Her spag Bolg was to die for. She also did a very good baked cheese cake!

hi Aphrodite. Yes indeed. But I believe the part which was edited would have clarified Thylacine’s confusion. Certainly I can understand why he finds the current edit confusing. Anyway, I’m happy to let it stand. But want to go on record that I’m not saying things like this were swept under the carpet to protect victims.

This is what was edited from your post.

Can't really see any confusion.

Placing it in a thread of “... stuff that doesn’t need it’s own thread” feels to me like we are not quite treating the topic with the respect it deserves. I think it deserves its own thread.

I think we can probably forgive most of the club for not knowing this bloke was even associated with our club 40 odd years ago, and not following a random child sexual assault case.

I'd imagine that maybe only club historian Tony De Bolfo and maybe Shane O'Sullivan come close to being around the place in the 70s.

How sad. I aspired to play little league in the late 70s. Nothing would have made me prouder.
This is all too common. There is a special place in hell for these predators. May the victims find peace.
I had no desire to play in the Little League as I would have had to represent the Dopers. Even back then you couldn't have paid me enough to wear that horrible guernsey.

Same experience
My junior club was chosen to represent North Melbourne as we were in their zone.
Played against South Melbourne at Vfl park in 1977 and we had to use the whole ground ! None of the modern day split into 5 or 6 games at once. Was the full forward and the ball never came down my end !

I used to watch these tiny little kids swarming around the ball - all 36 of em - stuck in one pocket for the whole game as a result of having to use the entire mcg

It’s sad and horrifying mate, what happened. I feel for anyone who was impacted by this. I am glad as a society that we now call it out even though it still happens. I would love to see a day where it no longer exists but know that is wishful thinking.

Same experience
My junior club was chosen to represent North Melbourne as we were in their zone.
Played against South Melbourne at Vfl park in 1977 and we had to use the whole ground ! None of the modern day split into 5 or 6 games at once. Was the full forward and the ball never came down my end !
If we go on where we lived, apparently we were in the Fitzroy zone (as told be Laurie and Renato who both grew up Blues supporters), but apparently north of Murray St, west Preston was Collingwood.

This is absolutely horrifying. I can't wrap my head around it, how it went on for so long and so many children were abused with no one noticing or doing anything about it.
Now apply that to the Catholic church amd the centuries they have been doing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back