News 1970s Little League Scandal *Warning, might be confronting for some. Be respectful

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I urge discretion for those sensitive to matters relating to abuse.

This is something significant at multiple levels. As I have mentioned, I have extended family who have experienced abuse (not in this setting). I get something of the impacts, being involved in their on-going care.

I was unaware until now that CFC has been impacted in such a way. There are so many things here. My heart goes out to all affected. There are times when I cry because of what I have seen as impacts of abuse.

Other organisations have had to go through processes to acknowledge where there have been failings, including those of an historic nature. I would hope that current Board would be willing to address this on behalf of the Club with a heart for all concerned, with a heart for the survivors of abuse.

I could say more, but I sometimes struggle in this medium.

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I realise there will be differing views on this. But one of the reasons such specific abuse happened / happens is that it was / is swept under the carpet.
A show of respect to the children and families who have suffered.

That said, I realise I’m not a mod, and there need to be considerations of how people will react in such a thread. I’m just putting my opinion out there for people to consider and agree or disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to all posters. Be mature and post respectfully in here.

This is a historical event that we are now just finding out about. The club have released a statement and it seems with us the second club in this expanding story, this could be a far reaching AFL thing.

Certainly there is a degree of separation between the club as a senior footballing body and the little league and the way it was run in the past, but this did happen in and around the club as well, at a time where these things weren't talked about or looked for.

There are bound to be victims of this sort of thing in our midst and this could be a trigger for them, so choose your words carefully.

I am devastated to learn about this. My thoughts go out to all of those affected. I hope the club has done something about this, or is planning to

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am devastated to learn about this. My thoughts go out to all of those affected. I hope the club has done something about this, or is planning to

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certainly the way little league team were selected changed not long after this. I remember playing for a club in 1980 and whole suburban clubs were called on to represent AFL clubs for a given game on a rotating basis. Seems it was more of an affiliation thing that a dedicated club program not long after all this took place. I wonder if the VFL knew, or the clubs knew something was going on and that inspired the change.

The club has offered to assist with any investigation. I'd be interested in seeing board meeting minutes from the time, and seeing how closely integrated these coaches were within the club in other areas.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
On Friday, Carlton CEO Cain Liddle released a statement.

"The club has been made aware of historical allegations dating back to the 1970s and condemns in the strongest possible way, any abuse of any kind," he said.
Liddle said Carlton was not aware of reports of Morice's offending until contacted by ABC Sport.

"Once we were made aware, it was the club's priority to inform our integrity team of the allegations, who have since made contact with the appropriate authorities including Victoria Police and the AFL Integrity Unit. As a club, we will absolutely provide our full support and cooperation to any police investigation."

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
May I ask for some context around the Little League in the 1970s. What was the ages of the kids? How were they selected? Did it serve as a possible pathway to the seniors? I’d just be interested to get some better understanding.

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
On Friday, Carlton CEO Cain Liddle released a statement.

Do you have a link to the full statement? I'd be interested to hear if there was any statement of support for the survivors of abuse... Thanks also for others about information regarding how the Little League sat apart from CFC. However, the Little League club did bear the CFC name... I believe this is just the beginning of unfolding of some more sad stories around many sporting clubs in Australia....

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
May I ask for some context around the Little League in the 1970s. What was the ages of the kids? How were they selected? Did it serve as a possible pathway to the seniors? I’d just be interested to get some better understanding.

My experience was it was organised through school but that's a long time ago, and I never ended up playing so I could be wrong.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Do you have a link to the full statement? I'd be interested to hear if there was any statement of support for the survivors of abuse... Thanks also for others about information regarding how the Little League sat apart from CFC. However, the Little League club did bear the CFC name... I believe this is just the beginning of unfolding of some more sad stories around many sporting clubs in Australia....

Only what's in the article near the bottom of the page.

There was a presser yesterday but no mention at all, only the new sponsorship.

It may have been said off camera.

From memory, in the 70s it was a squad picked from zone clubs, but you had to be primary school age.

Then it changed & specific clubs/school teams could be say, Fitzroy for a day.

The latter is the way I remembered it.

It says that there was a league requirement that clubs chose a minimum of 100 kids to be in their little league programs. That's a lot of kids from which to select a side. Maybe there were multiple sides based on age?

Limestone

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
From memory, in the 70s it was a squad picked from zone clubs, but you had to be primary school age.

I think that’s when Auskick took over, or the start that led to it. It used to be about winning , where as it has changed drastically about community and AFL development. Not that this has anything to do with what happenned.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I think that’s when Auskick took over, or the start that led to it. It used to be about winning , where as it has changed drastically about community and AFL development. Not that this has anything to do with what happenned.

Playing 70s little league you had to be able to play. If one guy from your junior side got to train with the LL squad, that was a big deal back then.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I played in the Carlton Little league under Morice in the mid-70's. He was actually a very good coach. Being only 10-11 years old I can't say I noticed anything personally plus you were only there a short time (from memory - one night of training if any and the games only went for 20 mins). However, I know not long after that he was caught out up at Hadfield where he coached.

Unfortunately another in a long line of predators back in those days where things were covered up - Little league, Scouts, Christian Brothers. I think these days at least kids are better educated to recognise when something doesn't feel right.

Yep. I played in Essendon's little league in 1976 whilst at primary school. It was a 'squad' as such. Not long after, schools represented clubs as you said..
Fun days..

I realise there will be differing views on this. But one of the reasons such specific abuse happened / happens is that it was / is swept under the carpet.
A show of respect to the children and families who have suffered.

That said, I realise I’m not a mod, and there need to be considerations of how people will react in such a thread. I’m just putting my opinion out there for people to consider and agree or disagree.
sorry, not sure I am with you - are you suggesting this sort of thing was historically swept under the carpet to protect the victim survivors?

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks to various persons about observations regarding Little League and helping me to understand that the Little League Clubs actually stood apart from the Suburban clubs at a legal level. It would seem that this is really an AFL issue at a legal level (given that the old VFL is antecedent to the AFL). I note also that the AFL is a member of the National Redress Scheme, and this also suggests where the legal responsibility may lie. However, this does not mean there is no civic or moral aspect for CFC, given that it carried the CFC name. The call moving forward is coming to terms with this in appropriate ways, especially in ensuring any who have experienced any abuse receive meaningful support.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What a pathetically weak legal system we have in Australia.

Says in the article he was convicted on 3 charges of indecent assault. Got a suspended sentence.

Then- In 2004, when Morice pleaded guilty to five counts of indecently assaulting a child under 16, County Court Judge Geoff Chettle described the crimes as being "towards the top of the range", and sentenced Morice to two years in jail with a non-parole period of 10 months.

What the * is actually wrong with the judges/legal system. Towards the top end of range of abuse... yeah go cool of for 10 months on jail.

Get actually stuffed.

As soon as you harm any child in that sort if nature you should be doing decade's in jail.

Personally I would be fine with them being put down like a rabid dog that they are, but I understand alot of people will see that as too barbaric.

Cant believe these paedophile scums get basically no punishments for their unimaginable crimes.

Ffs just makes me so furious

Back