News 1970s Little League Scandal *Warning, might be confronting for some. Be respectful

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can probably forgive most of the club for not knowing this bloke was even associated with our club 40 odd years ago, and not following a random child sexual assault case.

I'd imagine that maybe only club historian Tony De Bolfo and maybe Shane O'Sullivan come close to being around the place in the 70s.

The guy was charged in 2014, I find it hard to believe during and since his trial, not one person informed the club, i can easily see how people at the time didn’t know.

For arguments sake, let’s say for the last 6 years, no club supporter, member, former player, former staff or victim has said anything to the club regarding this, does that not expose a monstrous flaw in our justice system?

After this bloke was arrested, charged and convicted (multiple times) for sexual assault against boys he groomed through sport, wouldn’t the authorities enquire about his involvement in our club, where he coached young kids? After all, his convictions were for crimes around the time he was with us.

I find it hard to believe that the club wouldn’t have been contacted as part of the investigations, I also find it hard to believe that the Saints can have two life members convicted over child sex crimes and take 7 years to cancel their memberships.

The guy was charged in 2014, I find it hard to believe during and since his trial, not one person informed the club, i can easily see how people at the time didn’t know.

For arguments sake, let’s say for the last 6 years, no club supporter, member, former player, former staff or victim has said anything to the club regarding this, does that not expose a monstrous flaw in our justice system?

After this bloke was arrested, charged and convicted (multiple times) for sexual assault against boys he groomed through sport, wouldn’t the authorities enquire about his involvement in our club, where he coached young kids? After all, his convictions were for crimes around the time he was with us.

I find it hard to believe that the club wouldn’t have been contacted as part of the investigations, I also find it hard to believe that the Saints can have two life members convicted over child sex crimes and take 7 years to cancel their memberships.

Yeah, I'm not about to hang anyone based on speculation about whether someone may have approached the club or not, especially when he was convicted over things that happened elsewhere.

If anyone went to the club years ago and said this guy did something to them while coaching the Carlton little league side, why wouldn't they also have gone to the police and an investigation launched.

I'd never heard of the guy and I didn't know he was convicted 6 years ago. It's plausible that nothing was said to the club given the passage of time.

I've been trying to get my head around this, and as I have been picking up from bits and pieces in this thread, the Little League was a separate thing from individual clubs. And so there is a question of where a 'legal responsibility' may rest. It would seem that lies outside individual clubs. Having said that, I believe clubs that have been associated via names the Little League Clubs played under have some moral and civic obligation.

If CFC of old was happy for a Little League group to carry its name, then we should be willing to support as best we can those who have been materially impacted. And whilst it has a separate purpose, if the 'Carlton Respects' initiative is going to carry any weight, surely CFC will speak up on this and take some meaningful action... I would hope the club makes a meaningful response that goes beyond involving some PR firm. I've seen that in other organisations, and I hope we can be better than that....

Again, my heart goes out to all who have been impacted and I wish they can find the true help and peace they need.

No need for that mate.

If this story has taught us anything, it's that these people are everywhere, even places we least expect it.
Yeah... however, the whole story is that these scum are everywhere and back in those days, they were protected.

I've been trying to get my head around this, and as I have been picking up from bits and pieces in this thread, the Little League was a separate thing from individual clubs. And so there is a question of where a 'legal responsibility' may rest. It would seem that lies outside individual clubs. Having said that, I believe clubs that have been associated via names the Little League Clubs played under have some moral and civic obligation.

If CFC of old was happy for a Little League group to carry its name, then we should be willing to support as best we can those who have been materially impacted. And whilst it has a separate purpose, if the 'Carlton Respects' initiative is going to carry any weight, surely CFC will speak up on this and take some meaningful action... I would hope the club makes a meaningful response that goes beyond involving some PR firm. I've seen that in other organisations, and I hope we can be better than that....

Again, my heart goes out to all who have been impacted and I wish they can find the true help and peace they need.
Have you noticed that back in those days, the rockspiders’ were all men in positions of trust and respect. Teachers, coaches, cubs and scouts leaders, members of the clergy. And they protected themselves and their fellow rockspiders.

Yeah... however, the whole story is that these scum are everywhere and back in those days, they were protected.
True.

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church aren't the only ones who have behaved that way, so let's leave religion and politics out of this thread.

True.

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church aren't the only ones who have behaved that way, so let's leave religion and politics out of this thread.
Next thing you know, we’re going to have to leave sports out of it as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back