Remove this Banner Ad

Post 1975.

My memory is of lining up at class in primary school with a cut out picture of the premiership team for show and tell. Every other boy in the class had the same idea. I'm not too sure why I had that picture because I didn't even know what football was....I think my mum must have given it to me. It's weird because my mum had no interest in football either...but I guess the 1975 premiership win was such big news that it even entered her world.

1975....the first touch of a passion that would soon burn brightly.

this was before my time of working with the club. but not too long before, mind you. i think i've mentioned this before.

i still wanted to make the team at that stage, but unfortunately the local team i was playing for had a CRAP season, and therefore, apart from my standout efforts as a rover, and part-time back pocket, part-time forward pocket, part-time ruck-rover, part-time flanker, part-time wingman, i was overlooked when it came to the selection table.

it was soon after then that i scored a job in the changerooms.

sam kekovich was my favourite player in that year. also the year i had my first beer.

The 1975 Grand Final was my first North Melbourne game. I was thirteen years old at the time. A ticket to the GF was a gift from my Aunt and Cousin. My indoctrination into the North Melbourne way of life started a little later than some. I will be for ever grateful to her for giving me North Melbourne. My aunt passed away in 1993, but i reckon she still watches the games.

A child's perspective is bizarre isn't it. I remember vividly watching the 75 abd 77 GF's and being incredibly jealous cos my team were so bad we never made the final 5. But even as a little tacker I was rapt for the roos in 75 when my dad told me that it was your first flag.

Now all I can remember about that team is tragedy - ie: the tractor crushign BArry Cable and the fire involving G.Dempsey...

It was a golden era of aussie rules for sure.

Your aunt sounds like she was a fine lady. My aunt used to bribe me with lollies & chocolates to go & watch South Melbourne play when I was 5 years old. The only legacy this bestowed upon me is an un-natural dependancy on chocolate & caffeine which I am desparate to kick because my health is really suffering. My aunt has developed diabetes. Funny how life turns out, eh?

------------------
Banish Burgerboy for Bomber

[This message has been edited by 35eye (edited 28 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by 35eye (edited 28 March 2001).]

Back at the ground after the match the celebrations were unbelievable to see long time supporters inc myself with tears in their eyes is something l will never forget.After many dismal years to get in the GF in 74 and actually win it in 75 was, to be truthful, something you just didn't think could happen.l would have to say that GF day in 75 was the greatest day in my football life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back