1978 Night Grand Final - does anyone know how to get a copy?

Remove this Banner Ad

AndrewD

Senior List
Jun 24, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I've just watched the Fitzroy dvd 'Fitzroy: 100 years of action' and they had some good footage of the 1978 night grand final. Made me wonder if there was any way to get hold of a full copy of the match.

Does anyone know if channel 7 or some other company sell the old games ?

I am pretty sure you used to be able to purchase it from "Name a Game" or whatever that company is that sells DVDs of matches. I had an old catalogue of theirs and a VHS tape was listed, but having just quickly looked at their website, I couldn't see it anywhere.

Still, they might be a good place to start.

Good Luck.

I am pretty sure you used to be able to purchase it from "Name a Game" or whatever that company is that sells DVDs of matches. I had an old catalogue of theirs and a VHS tape was listed, but having just quickly looked at their website, I couldn't see it anywhere.

Still, they might be a good place to start.

Good Luck.

I think it's now called SportsDelivered.

Cheers Western Royboy.

I was back in Warrnambool a couple of weekends ago for a friend's wedding. Drove there "the back way" on the Hamilton Hwy and then crossing to the the Princess Hwy at Camperdown. Came home via Cobden, hitting the Princess Hwy at Stony Rises. Did both ways in under 3 hours! The Geelong bypass makes such a huge difference. Should make it easier for you to get to Melbourne to watch the footy.

The countryside was looking beautiful, especially when you drop into the Curdies River valley just before the old East Pomborniet Hall (I think that's what it is called. It's the big old hall right on the hwy before you climb out of the valley and hit the Stony Rises.) Marvellous what a difference a bit of rain makes.

Western Victoria ... gotta love it!

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/2011FFCMembershipform.pdf

Cheers Western Royboy.

I was back in Warrnambool a couple of weekends ago for a friend's wedding. Drove there "the back way" on the Hamilton Hwy and then crossing to the the Princess Hwy at Camperdown. Came home via Cobden, hitting the Princess Hwy at Stony Rises. Did both ways in under 3 hours! The Geelong bypass makes such a huge difference. Should make it easier for you to get to Melbourne to watch the footy.

The countryside was looking beautiful, especially when you drop into the Curdies River valley just before the old East Pomborniet Hall (I think that's what it is called. It's the big old hall right on the hwy before you climb out of the valley and hit the Stony Rises.) Marvellous what a difference a bit of rain makes.

Western Victoria ... gotta love it!

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/2011FFCMembershipform.pdf

Sth Purrumbete Hall - the natives would kill you if they knew, truly God's country down there. During the rains I took some vision of Hopkins Falls - where there was no fall.

Agreed I should get to more games - never stopped me when they were winning, having said that the kids were very young or weren't here.

:eek: Oops a-hem ... yes ...South Purrumbete. Actually, now that I think of it the Pomborneit Hall is on the Princess Highway East of Camperdown isn't it.

I taught in Camperdown for a year many moons ago and I remember the Hall and a big sign that used to advertise the POMBO MART. Because I cut that part of the Princess Highway out of my trips for the best part of the last 15 years, I'd forgotten all about it.

You are right about the country around South Purrumbete though ... some of the most attractive around. As for the Hopkins Falls, I used to take overseas visitors there in the days when the Hopkins was full and the water was belting over the drop. It never failed to impress and it is a really good spot for a photo, especially from the carpark lookout facing down river from the waterfall.

Slightly off topic, but fun to reminisce.

I've just watched the Fitzroy dvd 'Fitzroy: 100 years of action' and they had some good footage of the 1978 night grand final. Made me wonder if there was any way to get hold of a full copy of the match.

Does anyone know if channel 7 or some other company sell the old games ?

You will be devasted to know that Channel 7 DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE COPY (or the original) of the 1978 night grand final anymore!!!! They cant tell me what happened or why they do not have one.

I wrote to them about 18 months ago desperate for a copy and was told that they no longer had one and no matter what I was prepared to pay they could not get one for me anyway!! I did notice they had just about all other night grand finals on offer.........how it feels to be a Fitzroy supporter!!! (CH7=arseholes)

I did have a mate who recorded it on his monster video recorder (whilst we were at the game) at the time but I have not seen him for 25 years......might be time to track him down!!

My old man played in this game, will ask him if he has a copy (doubt it though..):)

My old man played in this game, will ask him if he has a copy (doubt it though..):)

I just watched it again for the first time since the real thing in 78.

Freakie, your old man didn't just play in it........he patrolled the back line like a rabid dog!! He was awesome!! Nice (but short) interview with him at the end of the game too....with Frank Adams.

Should be proud Freakie, he was bloody good that night.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Scary looking wasn't he, makes Travis Johnston look lame..:)

:eek: Oops a-hem ... yes ...South Purrumbete. Actually, now that I think of it the Pomborneit Hall is on the Princess Highway East of Camperdown isn't it.

I taught in Camperdown for a year many moons ago and I remember the Hall and a big sign that used to advertise the POMBO MART. Because I cut that part of the Princess Highway out of my trips for the best part of the last 15 years, I'd forgotten all about it.

You are right about the country around South Purrumbete though ... some of the most attractive around. As for the Hopkins Falls, I used to take overseas visitors there in the days when the Hopkins was full and the water was belting over the drop. It never failed to impress and it is a really good spot for a photo, especially from the carpark lookout facing down river from the waterfall.

Slightly off topic, but fun to reminisce.

My family has quite a connection with the South Purrumbete Hall. (Recently sold by the way and a dance studio planned as its future use from what I am told.)

It used to be a Butter factory and my Grandfather on my mother's side managed it for a period of time back in the early 20th Century. My mother and her brother and sisters lived next door until 1921 when they moved to Port Campbell to a dairy farm and my Grandfather managed the factory there for a short time.

In a twist my older sister now lives on a farm right next door to the South Purrumbete Hall. As you are travelling to Melbourne from Cobden and you start back up the hill out of the valley she and her husband own the farm on the right hand (south) side of the road. It is some of the best farming country in Australia and is looking great as it usually does at this time of the year.

Not sure when you taught at Camperdown, 3KZ is Football, but you may have taught my nephew and two nieces who went to Camperdown High School, having attended the now long closed South Purrumbete Primary School.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure when you taught at Camperdown, 3KZ is Football, but you may have taught my nephew and two nieces who went to Camperdown High School, having attended the now long closed South Purrumbete Primary School.

Did my first year of teaching at Camperdown High School in 1990. It was a lot of fun.

Did my first year of teaching at Camperdown High School in 1990. It was a lot of fun.

My nephew and nieces were at Camperdown in the early 1980's so they would have been well finished by the time you got there.

All school's have their moments no doubt, but teaching at Camperdown would have to be one of the better gigs in rural Victoria.

I went to school at Timboon and it was a pretty reasonable appointment for most teachers as I saw it anyway.

One of the incredible parts of the commentary, remebering that the game was played mid week, and half way through the season is whne Louie the Lip says thats is amazing to think Fitzroy has lost 5 or 6 games by under a kick so far this year. Amazing- 78 was the start of a nice, but unlucky era. Still get frustrated thinking how unlucky we were not win a flag between 79 and 83.

What a night! I remember it not all that well. I ended up getting very pissed with Ron Alexander, after the game, I hasten to add.

Hi Slattery.
its on You Tube -in parts. Quality is a bit average but it originates from recording in 1978. I think you can access the complete game and includes after match presentations. Highlights include ads for Ace Lager, Quinlans third quarter 70 meter torpedo goal and Graham Campbell's fur coat. Hope you enjoy

I think it's now called SportsDelivered.
You will be devasted to know that Channel 7 DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE COPY (or the original) of the 1978 night grand final anymore!!!! They cant tell me what happened or why they do not have one.

I wrote to them about 18 months ago desperate for a copy and was told that they no longer had one and no matter what I was prepared to pay they could not get one for me anyway!! I did notice they had just about all other night grand finals on offer.........how it feels to be a Fitzroy supporter!!! (CH7=arseholes)

I did have a mate who recorded it on his monster video recorder (whilst we were at the game) at the time but I have not seen him for 25 years......might be time to track him down!!
Hi guys, did anyone manage to dig up this game?
If so Id love to get a copy. Thank you.
Looking for the full game mate ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back