• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Same task as previously posted retro-drafts here for 1975 year and onwards.
Simply a fun task to look back in retrospect of all players that would have turned 18 in 1978 that ended up playing in the league then or later (some obviously earlier as there was no actual draft or restrictions of players under 18 not being able to play)

If you followed and watched the VFL in the 1980's you will have some memory of how good some of these footballers were.

Here is the retrospective draft pool of 18 year olds in year 1978:

1960 Born players (retrospective 1978 Draft)

Wright, Rodney
Turner, Steve
Everett, Geoff
Kennedy, Rick
Barham, Jamie
Ackerly, David
Cunningham, Daryl
Elphinstone, Robert
ODonnell, Kelly
Ross, Paul
Carroll, Dennis
Sutherland, Rick
Sheldon, Michael
Conlen, Bernie
Foley, Dan
Jones, Graham
Slattery, Wayne
Yorgey, Brett
Williams, Darren
Floyd, Tommy
Bennett, John
Parsons, Michael
Ayres, Gary
Bickford, Stephen
Ellis, Shane
Schwab, Peter
Meldrum, Paul

Eade, Allen
Godsell, Sean
White, Robin
Hoyer, Craig
Blackwell, Wayne
Smith, Andrew
Goulding, Stephen
Groenewegen, Robert
Kellett, Mark
Bos, Mark
Drum, Damian
Allender, Stephen
Shaw, Tony
Favier, John
Koop, Doug
Braddy, Shane
Elshaug, Tony
Light, Peter
Bolton, David
Rankin, David
Domburg, Terry
Barbary, Craig
Evans, Robert
Marshall, David
Maynard, Peter
Beckett, Tony
Lewis, Rod
Evans, Dale
Vernon, Daryl
Foster, Peter
Morwood, Tony
Yeates, Mark
Hawkins, Doug

Lane, Greg
Merrett, Roger
Durnan, Jim
Turner, Mark
Whitcroft, Greg
Brine, David
Walsh, Phil (the late Adelaide coach tragically killed during AFL season in 2015)
Pollett, Andrew
Sampson, Glen
Richards, Kelvin
Wall, Matthew
Mount, Stephen
Grimley, Brett
Trotter, Barrie
Johnston, Russell
Harmes, Wayne
Dowsett, Craig
Murphy, Danny
Marchesani, Frank
Smith, Peter
Thorne, Peter
ORiley, Grant
Gepp, Tim
Hinchen, Graeme
MacLeod, Neil
Krakouer, Phil
Aitken, Michael
Wade, Scott

This draft pool seems short of multiple guns you get some years. A shallow draft pool for sure in comparison to some others where lots of players seem worthy of a number one pick. Compare to the 1975 batch of 18 year olds in link below this to see what I am getting at.
Doug Hawkins for mine a clear choice of pick one here for 1978 batch of players that turned 18 then.
Gary Ayres, Phil Krakouer and Wayne Harmes some talented players but Dougie surely number one pick from this batch of players born in 1960 ?
It is interesting as some players like Marchesani and Phil Walsh made an impact in their debut season at different ages but never became house hold names in the league as their career went on. Fascinating times before real drafts began. Paul Meldrum of Carlton virtually walked off the street to try out with Carlton back in early 1980's and made his debut in 1982. Maybe the last player in the league to have done that rather than recruiters search him out and sign him on or later be drafted in fully professional era.
A few years into his actual career at Carlton he was probably in Brownlow Medal type form before a traumatic car accident turned his world upside down in 1987. He played the rest of that season and may well have saved the life of Peter Motley at the scene of the road accident. A team mate at Carlton both driving back from football training. Meldrum played on that season at the peak of his powers but struggled with trauma of what he went through that night and was never the same player again.

Interesting fact - Wayne Harmes was first winner of Norm Smith Medal in 1979 Grand Final when he was still a teenager.

Previous Retro-Draft Polls
1975 retro-draft
1976 retro-draft
1977 retro-draft

Last edited:
Ayres
Hawkins
Merrett
Harmes
Shaw

Merrett not an option in the poll?!
1/ Hawkins: was the pure talent and put it together for 300 games.
2/ Merrett: match winning hulk of a man. Made teammates walk taller in helping back to back premierships and in guiding a rabble group of Brisbane misfits towards a conquering era.
3/ Ayres: played great grand finals and was a key cog in the Hawthorn machine but his overall career was not as impressive as the above 2.
4/ Shaw: unfairly maligned for his lack of x-factor or athleticism but there are few players that I can remember with his determination.
5/ Krakouer: you'd take a chance at 5 with this bloke and would be very happy with what you got.

Poll looks to be closing with Dougie Hawkins clearly getting the votes to have been thought of it retrospect as the number one pick of this pool.

The class of 78

Backs:
W Harmes, R Kennedy, Ackerley
Half Backs: Ayres, Elphingstone, D Carroll
Centreline: D Hawkins, Elshaug, Blackwell
Half Forwards: P Walsh, T Morwood, D Bolton
Forwards: Meldrum, R Merrett, D Williams
Followers: S Allender, T Shaw, P Krakoeur
Interchange: Yeates, P Schwab, Marchesani, P Foster

Emergencies: D Drum, G Hinchen, M Bos

Really slim group for rucks and key forward options.
Plenty of defender options but probably only Gary Ayres and Wayne Harmes elite types.
Probably full of wing types and goal kicking flankers but absolute gun rover type for midfield probably lacking with Tony Elshaug, Daisy Williams and Phil Krakouer the best options.

This is not a super draft type year.

The class of 78

Backs:
W Harmes, R Kennedy, Ackerley
Half Backs: Ayres, Elphingstone, D Carroll
Centreline: D Hawkins, Elshaug, Blackwell
Half Forwards: P Walsh, T Morwood, D Bolton
Forwards: Meldrum, R Merrett, D Williams
Followers: S Allender, T Shaw, P Krakoeur
Interchange: Yeates, P Schwab, Marchesani, P Foster

Emergencies: D Drum, G Hinchen, M Bos

Really slim group for rucks and key forward options.
Plenty of defender options but probably only Gary Ayres and Wayne Harmes elite types.
Probably full of wing types and goal kicking flankers but absolute gun rover type for midfield probably lacking with Tony Elshaug, Daisy Williams and Phil Krakouer the best options.

This is not a super draft type year.
Mark Bos makes the 22 easily and probably the 18 as well in place of Ackerley. He was a great defender for the Cats.

Mark Bos makes the 22 easily and probably the 18 as well in place of Ackerley. He was a great defender for the Cats.

Not for Ackerley, Elphinstone more like it....A complete dud.....Foster to CHB & Bos on the flank.

Also, Elshaug to the wing, Ayres in the middle & Blackwell to a HFF....With Phil Walsh to the bench.

Merrett in the ruck & piss Alexander off.....Carroll & Morwood as the mobile keys.

Here, I'll do it myself FFS.....A far more balanced side:

Drum, Kennedy, Ackerley.
Harmes Foster, Bos.
Hawkins, Ayres, Elshaug
Blackwell, Carroll, Krakouer
Bolton, Morwood, Williams

Merrett, Meldrum, Shaw

Schwab, Marchesani, Walsh, Yates.

Not for Ackerley, Elphinstone more like it....A complete dud.....Foster to CHB & Bos on the flank.

Also, Elshaug to the wing, Ayres in the middle & Blackwell to a HFF....With Phil Walsh to the bench.

Merrett in the ruck & piss Alexander off.....Carroll & Morwood as the mobile keys.

Here, I'll do it myself FFS.....A far more balanced side:

Drum, Kennedy, Ackerley.
Harmes Foster, Bos.
Hawkins, Ayres, Elshaug
Blackwell, Carroll, Krakouer
Bolton, Morwood, Williams

Merrett, Meldrum, Shaw

Schwab, Marchesani, Walsh, Yates.
Elphinstone actually went alright. Represented Victoria and got better as he got older. Shaw in the guts where he won a Norm Smith and Williams rover. Sheeds put Daisy as his rover in his best team as coach. Elshaug is a premiership on-baller in one of the great teams. Marchesani was a true unfulfilled talent.

Ackerley Kennedy Ayres
Harmes Foster Bos
Hawkins Shaw Bolton
Meldrum Carroll Walsh
Krakouer Morwood Blackwell
Merrett Elshaug Williams

Yeates Elphinstone Schwab Marchesani

Elphinstone actually went alright. Represented Victoria and got better as he got older. Shaw in the guts where he won a Norm Smith and Williams rover. Sheeds put Daisy as his rover in his best team as coach. Elshaug is a premiership on-baller in one of the great teams. Marchesani was a true unfulfilled talent.

Ackerley Kennedy Ayres
Harmes Foster Bos
Hawkins Shaw Bolton
Meldrum Carroll Walsh
Krakouer Morwood Blackwell
Merrett Elshaug Williams

Yeates Elphinstone Schwab Marchesani

Not against us he didn't.....Mind you, we did smash the Demons 22 times in a row from 1973-1984 inclusive.....They might have beaten us twice in the 80's all up from memory: 1985 & 1987 maybe.......Our forwards would dine out on him time and again & make mince-meat of him.

Foster, on the other hand, was probably one of Derm's most ferocious opponents.....Just ask him....And Kennedy was a dirty mongrel too.

Flower was one of the few Melbourne players whom I respected from that era, with Wilson being another....Most of the rest of em wouldn't get a game in our side back then.

Not against us he didn't.....Mind you, we did smash the Demons 22 times in a row from 1973-1984 inclusive.....They might have beaten us twice in the 80's all up from memory: 1985 & 1987 maybe.......Our forwards would dine out on him time and again & make mince-meat of him.

Foster, on the other hand, was probably one of Derm's most ferocious opponents.....Just ask him....And Kennedy was a dirty mongrel too.

Flower was one of the few Melbourne players whom I respected from that era, with Wilson being another....Most of the rest of em wouldn't get a game in our side back then.
Elphinstone was a Saint. He did a pretty good job against the odds when the ball kept flying into the opposition forward line.

And yes, I'd pick Foster ahead of Elphinstone, as shown in the team I selected.

Elphinstone was a Saint. He did a pretty good job against the odds when the ball kept flying into the opposition forward line.

Oh Dear....There was 2 of em, damn I forgot about the Saint one with the Mo.....Doh!

Would it surprise you to hear that we spanked their butts 20 times in a row from 1979-1989 inclusive also?

I'm afraid that both the Dees & the Sainters of that era were our bunnies; & that consequently, few of their players ever won my respect.

But my apologies.....Yes the Saints version of Elphinstone was a better player than the Dees incarnation.

I had Foster in an original draft of the team before I edited moments later when remembered I'd seen Elphingstone do some very good jobs on some quality tall forwards in a really s**t Saints team so nudged Foster to the bench.

Amused our Hawks mate has Ayres centre and Meldrum playing ruck rover. Do not remember Meldrum playing much in midfield for us and although Ayres and Harmes can play centre and both did at times, their best value to a team was their brilliance in defence.

But all the same, good to see you guys have a go at your own ideas of a team from this 78 teenager group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had Foster in an original draft of the team before I edited moments later when remembered I'd seen Elphingstone do some very good jobs on some quality tall forwards in a really s**t Saints team so nudged Foster to the bench.

Amused our Hawks mate has Ayres centre and Meldrum playing ruck rover. Do not remember Meldrum playing much in midfield for us and although Ayres and Harmes can play centre and both did at times, their best value to a team was their brilliance in defence.

But all the same, good to see you guys have a go at your own ideas of a team from this 78 teenager group.

Ayres played in the middle in the 1988 Grand Final in winning his second Norm Smith....He also went into the middle against the Cats, out at Princes Park, round 6, 1989 in the second half....After we trailed them by 50 points at half time.

Guess who won.

Meldrum was more a utility from what I can recall....He played pretty well anywhere.

Absolutely zero excuse whatsoever for putting Stephen Allender in that side FFS.

Ayres played in the middle in the 1988 Grand Final in winning his second Norm Smith....He also went into the middle against the Cats, out at Princes Park, round 6, 1989 in the second half...
Yeah, know all that.
Also know Harmes won Norm Smith Medal in 79 grand final and turned the 81 grand final too when went to centre and got mark and goal of day in that grand final too. Then in 1982 absolutely destroyed you guys in one quarter we kicked 11 goals in Qualifying final.

Guess who won?

Guess where I got Ayres and Harmes?
Both in backline as they way better option than other guys there.

Meldrum was more a utility from what I can recall....He played pretty well anywhere.
You are recalling badly. He did play a few positions at start but his best footy was when settled more as a forward which he was against you guys in grand finals.

Your recall a bit off but to be expected three decades on. No shame in that.

Absolutely zero excuse whatsoever for putting Stephen Allender in that side FFS.

There are no other ruck options FFS... lol
Hence he gets the gig and shows the slim picking for rucks that year group.

I see you got Merrett there but really silly given he hardly played there. Second or third string relief ruck at best. Madden, Salmon and Taubert would all be ruck options before him in his team as a Don. He also kicked 5 against you guys in grand final.
Having him number 1 ruck would be like putting Patton or Peter Wright as number one rucks in any team just because they are tall.

Nah, Stephen Allender is sadly it. He played ruck position way more than Merrett, as ordinary as he was.
Strange year with no real proper ruck anyone would want. Search for a good ruckman born same year that better and happy to replace him. Merrett was a key forward though. Watch him sort your mob out in 1985 grand final replay if you need a refresher :p

Yeah, know all that.
Also know Harmes won Norm Smith Medal in 79 grand final and turned the 81 grand final too when went to centre and got mark and goal of day in that grand final too. Then in 1982 absolutely destroyed you guys in one quarter we kicked 11 goals in Qualifying final.

Guess who won?

Guess where I got Ayres and Harmes?
Both in backline as they way better option than other guys there.

You are recalling badly. He did play a few positions at start but his best footy was when settled more as a forward which he was against you guys in grand finals.

There are no other ruck options FFS... lol
Hence he gets the gig and shows the slim picking for rucks that year group.

I see you got Merrett there but really silly given he hardly played there. Second or third string relief ruck at best. Madden, Salmon and Taubert would all be ruck options before him in his team as a Don. He also kicked 5 against you guys in grand final.
Having him number 1 ruck would be like putting Patton or Peter Wright as number one rucks in any team just because they are tall.

Nah, Stephen Allender is sadly it. He played ruck position way more than Merrett, as ordinary as he was.
Strange year with no real proper ruck anyone would want. Search for a good ruckman born same year that better and happy to replace him. Merrett was a key forward though. Watch him sort your mob out in 1985 grand final replay if you need a refresher :p

Merrett was second ruck to Madden in their 84/85 Premiership sides....He's a far more worthy option than Allender.....Meldrum is a more worthy option in the ruck than Allender, for crying out loud....The bloke just doesn't belong anywhere near a 'best of' side.

Unfortunately, you've got a passionate 80s Bomber kid here and Merrett was our clear number 2 ruck from 83-85 when we were challenging. Justin Madden left after 82, Taubert after 81, and Fish didn't help out in the ruck until around '86. In '82 Merrett had 32 hitouts and was being developed as a defender. In '83 his hitouts jumped to 128, and by '84 he had registered 205 hitouts and had a real impact in the GF as a ruckman largely due to the fact that Simon Madden spent a large chunk of the 3rd qtr (from memory) on the bench.

Compare that to Allender's one decent season of 125 hitouts, no influence in any final, and a total of 28 games...

I'd take big Rog in the ruck easily and you'd then shape the forward line to best fit, which in the case would mean that Dennis Carroll, the ultimate Sydney utility, would fill the hole at CHF.

Unfortunately, you've got a passionate 80s Bomber kid here and Merrett was our clear number 2 ruck from 83-85 when we were challenging. Justin Madden left after 82, Taubert after 81, and Fish didn't help out in the ruck until around '86. In '82 Merrett had 32 hitouts and was being developed as a defender. In '83 his hitouts jumped to 128, and by '84 he had registered 205 hitouts and had a real impact in the GF as a ruckman largely due to the fact that Simon Madden spent a large chunk of the 3rd qtr (from memory) on the bench.

Compare that to Allender's one decent season of 125 hitouts, no influence in any final, and a total of 28 games...

I'd take big Rog in the ruck easily and you'd then shape the forward line to best fit, which in the case would mean that Dennis Carroll, the ultimate Sydney utility, would fill the hole at CHF.

Fair call mate. Fortunately you should mean there.
Trust your memory on Rog having a brief stint rucking more than I remember but certainly overall more of a key forward but Allender is not much to beat to have someone else ruck.

Just highlights how there was no real ruck this group even if drafting actually existed back then like it does now.

The year before you get options like Mark Lee and Rendell.

Shows how cycles can come and go for certain types of players.

Fair call mate. Fortunately you should mean there.
Trust your memory on Rog having a brief stint rucking more than I remember but certainly overall more of a key forward but Allender is not much to beat to have someone else ruck.

Just highlights how there was no real ruck this group even if drafting actually existed back then like it does now.

The year before you get options like Mark Lee and Rendell.

Shows how cycles can come and go for certain types of players.

Mate....Your memory must be failing....Even when he went up to the Bad News Bears. old Rodgey Dodge would have spells in the ruck....Often even playing there for the entire game in his first 2 seasons.....Crimony!

Mate....Your memory must be failing....Even when he went up to the Bad News Bears. old Rodgey Dodge would have spells in the ruck....Often even playing there for the entire game in his first 2 seasons.....Crimony!
Old Rodgey Dodge should be a Hall of Fame member but is somehow (criminally) still overlooked.

Old Rodgey Dodge should be a Hall of Fame member but is somehow (criminally) still overlooked.

Hit-men with Una-brows are not allowed in.:D

s-l300.jpg
But in all seriousness, you are right....He single-handedly carried the Bad News Bears on his shoulders for almost the entirety of it's first decade in existence.

Last edited:
Mate....Your memory must be failing....Even when he went up to the Bad News Bears. old Rodgey Dodge would have spells in the ruck...

Spells in the ruck in quite different to being an actual ruck.
Yeah, trying to remember every game a key forward played like Rog , three decades back going to not be perfect when he not the club I watching week to week. It is exactly why I said there was no shame for you being so off with Meldrum role for us with you naming him ruck rover when he made it as a forward with us.

Last edited:
Back