Meet Up 1979 U/19s invited to 40-year reunion

Remove this Banner Ad

It was all about the pain barrier in those days. If you were prepared to run yourself into a senseless state then you were fit.

George Frigo was the fitness guy for senior team and occasionally he’d take a session for the U19s. He’d have you running all over Royal Park and stopping was not an option.

And then Ray Jordan had his own version of hell and it involved Royal Park. There was an uphill run from Flemington Rd to the tram tracks near the zoo. I reckon about 400 metres. Over and over again.

Royal Park. No wonder I shake every time I go to the zoo.
easier running it than driving - that ******* 2 lane into one bottleneck is the shizen.........

It was all about the pain barrier in those days. If you were prepared to run yourself into a senseless state then you were fit.

George Frigo was the fitness guy for senior team and occasionally he’d take a session for the U19s. He’d have you running all over Royal Park and stopping was not an option.

And then Ray Jordan had his own version of hell and it involved Royal Park. There was an uphill run from Flemington Rd to the tram tracks near the zoo. I reckon about 400 metres. Over and over again.

Royal Park. No wonder I shake every time I go to the zoo.

Slug.

Where do you start.

Mums farewell at the old Brunton St AFL, he got into a fist fight with Collo.

True dinks.

I was lucky enough to play a few at PP (only up to reserves only) but it is my first game at the MCG that I remember so vividly. I remember concentrating more on the crowd and the ground than the game. I was in absolute awe. I really was just another spectator.
I played at the MCG in 1975 in an u19s game against Melbourne. The place was empty which made the experience overpowering.

I remember before the game I was so excited. I walked onto the ground and I became DK Lillee. I paced out the run up and away I went. What a ******* idiot.

I started the game because the boys from the reserves game hadn’t made it on time. I remember taking a mark and handpassing to a teammate.

Then the tap on the shoulder from the runner. You’re off. No interchange in those days.

I obeyed. The runner handed me the phone. The coach wanted to talk to me about his decision. One of the guys on the bench looked at me and said “Tell him to go and get ****ed”. I didn’t. Pavlou broke me that day. I was never the same after that.

what year did hurricane win it?
1976 Thy.....the same year he won the Blues U19 B&F, and third in the Morrish Medal as a 16 year old

edit ...and finished 3rd in the Blues U19's B&F the year before as a 15 year old...but the astonishing thing was, he only played half a season...the other half with his junior club, where he also finished in the top 3 in the league B&F the same year...

Last edited:
what year did hurricane win it?
I'm not sure if Carlton supporters truly appreciate what we had in 'Hurricane' Harmes...
His career was always hampered by injury and weight issues.....these days, many of those issues would not have existed with the Jack Russells of the world, but it's how it was back then. If not for those issues, it is frightening what he could have achieved if he could have truly fulfilled his potential.
Still won 3 premiership medals, the first Norm Smith at 19, as well as numerous other accolades....but we've never had anyone like him since.

Does the little league count?
I'll never forget the day I played little league at Princes Park. Before half time Richard Dennis does his acl. Wayne Johnson hurts his knee. The seniors are 6 goals down at the half vs Geelong. Little league comes on and I get 1 kick, 1 mark. B.O.G!!

SOS gets moved forward after half time, kicks 3 goals and inspires us to a comeback win

I played at the MCG in 1975 in an u19s game against Melbourne. The place was empty which made the experience overpowering.

I remember before the game I was so excited. I walked onto the ground and I became DK Lillee. I paced out the run up and away I went. What a ******* idiot.

I started the game because the boys from the reserves game hadn’t made it on time. I remember taking a mark and handpassing to a teammate.

Then the tap on the shoulder from the runner. You’re off. No interchange in those days.

I obeyed. The runner handed me the phone. The coach wanted to talk to me about his decision. One of the guys on the bench looked at me and said “Tell him to go and get ******”. I didn’t. Pavlou broke me that day. I was never the same after that.

Running out on the G was awesome, no matter how many people were there, but absolutely nothing beat PP in those days, nothing!

1976 Thy.....the same year he won the Blues U19 B&F, and third in the Morrish Medal as a 16 year old

edit ...and finished 3rd in the Blues U19's B&F the year before as a 15 year old...but the astonishing thing was, he only played half a season...the other half with his junior club, where he also finished in the top 3 in the league B&F the same year...
Was there when Harmesy turned up in 1975. Was impressed too. Most need luck to progress however I know I saw a player who didn’t need a helping from the lady in 1975.

I also remember Mark Maclure training with us as well. Maybe 73 or 74. I wouldn’t have bet on his success given what I saw at the time. A big helping of Lady Luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back