1981 - Port Adelaide vs Richmond Trial Game Scores

Remove this Banner Ad

PortAdel1870

Rookie
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi everyone! Does anyone have the quarter-by-quarter scores for the famous Port Adelaide vs Richmond trial game played at Alberton Oval in 1981? Thank you.

This question was asked on Twitter, I assume it was you (or you have seen the response at least).

For those interested, here they are

This question was asked on Twitter, I assume it was you (or you have seen the response at least).

For those interested, here they are

SgtSchulz is Ports not PortAdel1870

Hi everyone! Does anyone have the quarter-by-quarter scores for the famous Port Adelaide vs Richmond trial game played at Alberton Oval in 1981? Thank you.

Richmond 3.4 6.8 11.15 13.20 (98)
Port Adel 4.0 6.3 10.8 14.13 (97)

Scorers (Port)
Evans 3.3
Cahill 2.2
Abernethy, Agius 1.2
Cunningham 1.1
Clifford, Ebert, Johnston, Kinnear, Porplycia, Natt 1.0
Bolton, Belton, Granger 0.1

Best (Port)
Phillips
Giles
Clifford
Johnston
Abernethy
Belton

Port kicked 4.1 in the last six minutes to fall short by a point.

Richmond 3.4 6.8 11.15 13.20 (98)
Port Adel 4.0 6.3 10.8 14.13 (97)

Scorers (Port)
Evans 3.3
Cahill 2.2
Abernethy, Agius 1.2
Cunningham 1.1
Clifford, Ebert, Johnston, Kinnear, Porplycia, Natt 1.0
Bolton, Belton, Granger 0.1

Best (Port)
Phillips
Giles
Clifford
Johnston
Abernethy
Belton

Port kicked 4.1 in the last six minutes to fall short by a point.
Who was in the best for Richmond and goal kickers , interested if it were our senior or reserves team, we’d just won flag 6mth earlier by record margin , had a strong side

Who was in the best for Richmond and goal kickers , interested if it were our senior or reserves team, we’d just won flag 6mth earlier by record margin , had a strong side
I'm pretty sure it was mostly your senior team. I just went and watched a couple of minutes of highlights - they were Port highlights so focused on our better play but I recognized Francis Bourke, Kevin Bartlett, David Cloke, Jim Jess, Mark Lee, maybe Maurice Rioli.

Port's 1980 team was probably the strongest team in the history of the sanfl. Would have been easily better than most VFL teams that year

I'm pretty sure it was mostly your senior team. I just went and watched a couple of minutes of highlights - they were Port highlights so focused on our better play but I recognized Francis Bourke, Kevin Bartlett, David Cloke, Jim Jess, Mark Lee, maybe Maurice Rioli.

Port's 1980 team was probably the strongest team in the history of the sanfl. Would have been easily better than most VFL teams that year
Rioli was still at South Freo in 1981. He won the Simpson medal when South Freo won the WAFL GF in 1980, and again in 1981 when they lost the GF to Claremont in a cracking game, and then won the Norm Smith medal in 1982 when Richmond lost the GF to Carlton.

It might have been Phil Egan who you saw on screen. It was a bloody strong Richmond team.

GremioPower I think I forgot to mention Maurice Rioli in that answer I gave you about why Wanganeen was the first aboriginal player to win a brownlow and first to 300 games. I mentioned the WAFL aboriginal players that I watched as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's and the South Freo players in particular that left a lasting impression on me. I loved watching Maurice play the game. He was a classic Joga Bonito type player who was also a ruthlessly hard tackler. He had a boxing background as well.

It was pretty handy side Richmond sent over. I was at the game, remember Weightman and Lee being standouts. Rowlings didn't make the best players but he stuck in my memory as well.

Best (Richmond)

Weightman
Lee
Sarah
Dunne
Strachan
Bartlett

Scorers (Richmond)

Roach 4.3
Cloke 2.3
Sarah 2.2
Wall 2.1
Bartlett 1.3
Wiley, Weightman 1.1
Rowlings, Waterson 0.1
Rushed 0.4

It was pretty handy side Richmond sent over. I was at the game, remember Weightman and Lee being standouts. Rowlings didn't make the best players but he stuck in my memory as well.

Best (Richmond)

Weightman
Lee
Sarah
Dunne
Strachan
Bartlett

Scorers (Richmond)

Roach 4.3
Cloke 2.3
Sarah 2.2
Wall 2.1
Bartlett 1.3
Wiley, Weightman 1.1
Rowlings, Waterson 0.1
Rushed 0.4
Yea pretty strong side alright , Paul Sara from cats , waterson and Mathew wall werent in premiership side , the rest were

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure it was Russell Johnston's debut in the black and white.
We had lost Mark Williams and Milan Faletic to the VFL from the 1980 premiership side.

Yea pretty strong side alright , Paul Sara from cats , waterson and Mathew wall werent in premiership side , the rest were

Couple of highlight videos from youtube. Fast-paced game, especially for a trial.

I don't know if you are that keen but in the show more section of the 14 minute video it says;

Full version contains the last 40 or so minutes of this match which was played at Alberton Oval. Also features post match interview with acting Richmond Captain Brian Wood and Port coach Jack Cahill. Full version duration: 55.15. For info how to get a full copy of this go to: http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/

that's a beauty , thx for sharing , even though only saw the PA highlights lol , yeah we had a strong side alright , what a great standard game
From watching the video and the match report posted, I have the following 16, 1980 Tigers premiership players participating in the trial match;

Francis Bourke
Kevin Bartlett
David Cloke
Michael Roach
Jim Jess
Mark Lee
Emmet Dunne
Greg Strachan
Robert Wiley
Dale Weightman
Stephen Mount
Terry Smith
Bryan Wood
Barry Rowlings
Geoff Raines
Daryl Freame

Not playing or not picked up Merv Keane, Mick Malthouse, Bruce Monteath, and Peter Welsh

Others I picked up on the 14 minute video are Graeme Landy, Matthew Wall and Ian Scrimsaw

I don't know if you are that keen but in the show more section of the 14 minute video it says;

Full version contains the last 40 or so minutes of this match which was played at Alberton Oval. Also features post match interview with acting Richmond Captain Brian Wood and Port coach Jack Cahill. Full version duration: 55.15. For info how to get a full copy of this go to: http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/
Good onya mate cheers , fair crowd . Remember bruce Abernathy , my late grandfathers fav player , would always talk about him when we talked football , my Relatives are all croweaters. impressive standard wasn’t it , moved the ball very quickly

Good onya mate cheers , fair crowd . Remember bruce Abernathy , my late grandfathers fav player , would always talk about him when we talked football , my Relatives are all croweaters. impressive standard wasn’t it , moved the ball very quickly

Even in the third quarter it looked like a final. Really quick confident ball movement by 2 sides who knew their own game inside out. And both stacked with stars of their respective competitions.

yeah it was good footy to watch. I remember I was going to go to game with a mate, but he got crook and my car was out of action at the time so I never got to the game, but wish I did with the benefit of hindsight.

I was at that game and it was well attended. After the game the Richmond players came up to the club rooms and Mark Lee almost had to turn sideways to get through the door. That guy had the biggest shoulders I have ever seen he was a well built unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back