Portfolio 1983 Alternate History

Norwood
As SANFL Premiers, Norwood get a place in the first division.
upload_2016-12-3_7-30-36.png

(Not doing full presentation because I can't make the logos)
I had to make the AGC logo myself because there was none online. Does anyone know what they did or if they still exist?

Port Adelaide
In this timeline Port are the only Magpies in Division 1 - What does this mean for Collingwood? That will soon be revealed.
upload_2016-12-3_20-21-13.png

Port have Standard Chartered as sponsors, although I'm not sure if SC sponsored Port at the time but oh well.

Jumper Clash!!!!
Something unique happened in the new league. With Richmond and Glenelg both being Grand Finalists they both made it into the same division.
upload_2016-12-4_11-37-44.png

upload_2016-12-4_11-40-49.png

(Top: Glenelg, Bottom: Richmond)
With both teams not wanting to sell themselves out, the league needed to step in. They could have gone for heritage kits or something but as both teams were rather stubborn the league had no option but to...
upload_2016-12-4_11-46-56.png
upload_2016-12-4_11-46-21.png

Give them embarrassing white kits! Not like this would happen in real life...
(Only the away team would wear these.)

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Jumper Clash!!!!
Something unique happened in the new league. With Richmond and Glenelg both being Grand Finalists they both made it into the same division.
View attachment 315988
View attachment 315989
With both teams not wanting to sell themselves out, the league needed to step in. They could have gone for heritage kits or something but as both teams were rather stubborn the league had no option but to...
View attachment 315992View attachment 315991
Surely just making the away team wear white shorts would be enough to distinguish the two teams? </sarcasm>

Surely just making the away team wear white shorts would be enough to distinguish the two teams? </sarcasm>
I think you'd have to do a little more than that, some side panels on one perhaps?

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Jumper Clash!!!!
View attachment 315988
View attachment 315989
View attachment 315992View attachment 315991
Glenelg wearing black & white:eek:
They would be ornery enough to cause your scenario to occur though Fizzler (particularly in 1982)!
Obviously best case would be Richmond using their current clash, and Glenelg their old yellow with black V

[I see the sarcasm tags but]
The only way that'd work is if it were, say Carlton vs Norwood. I wish it were that simple, but at least it gives me more to do..
Glenelg wearing black & white:eek:
They would be ornery enough to cause your scenario to occur though Fizzler (particularly in 1982)!
Obviously best case would be Richmond using their current clash, and Glenelg their old yellow with black V
Ideally I'd do that but these clubs have been a bit stubborn.
However Richmond can't wear the inverse because of WA (SOO exists in 1982 and WA haven't changed to the swan jumper that they wear today.)

Division 2 Expansion
Taking a break from Division 1 for a moment we have expansion. Despite most teams being from the major leagues, a few aren't. Here's three of them
Sydney Swans
Sydney are, like in real life, a relocated South Melbourne team.
upload_2016-12-4_21-3-47.png

Tasmania Titans
Tasmania had a tough task on their hands. They had to make a jumper that looked like Tasmania, without using the state jumper (as State of Origin still exists) This was inspired by _Damo_'s design in his NFC thread, but I made some changes to it.
upload_2016-12-4_21-12-35.png

Brisbane Rockets
Brisbane avoided an embarrassing name by using the stronger name Rockets. For me, I wanted to use a name that wasn't Bears so using one of the potential rebranding names seemed like a logical choice. You'll notice that the design on the shields has been used on the jumper. I put the rebranding names and a recreated rocket in spoiler tags below.
upload_2016-12-4_21-12-48.png

Brisbane rebrands.png
upload_2016-12-4_21-9-5.png

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Division 2 Expansion
Taking a break from Division 1 for a moment we have expansion. Despite most teams being from the major leagues, a few aren't. Here's three of them
Sydney Swans
View attachment 316157
Tasmania Mariners
Tasmania had a tough task on their hands. They had to make a jumper that looked like Tasmania, without using the state jumper (as State of Origin still exists) This was inspired by _Damo_'s design in his NFC thread, but I made some changes to it.
View attachment 316165
Brisbane Rockets
Brisbane avoided an embarrassing name by using the stronger name Rockets. For me, I wanted to use a name that wasn't Bears so using one of the potential rebranding names seemed like a logical choice. You'll notice that the design on the shields has been used on the jumper. I put the rebranding names and a recreated rocket in spoiler tags below.
View attachment 316166
I thought the chevrons were an interesting choice until I saw the logos. I would have inverted them as an up-and-away motif.

I thought the chevrons were an interesting choice until I saw the logos. I would have inverted them as an up-and-away motif.
I could have done that, but I think the vee becomes synonymous with the 1990s bears.
EDIT: Not to mention, they could also look lie WC wings if I did that.

Last edited:

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dude you perfected that tassie design, but I can barely read the Cadbury sponsorship. love the chevron on the rockets kit

NM_Mitchell

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2014
#westside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
We put the U in CGU
The Tassie kit's pretty good, but with the way you've done the T, you could have easily named them the warriors or something and turned that into a sword and shield. Would have looked the goods without losing the tradition Tassie look.

Dude you perfected that tassie design, but I can barely read the Cadbury sponsorship. love the chevron on the rockets kit
Cheers man, really appreciate it! I should actually go and re-do the Cadbury logo.
The Tassie kit's pretty good, but with the way you've done the T, you could have easily named them the warriors or something and turned that into a sword and shield. Would have looked the goods without losing the tradition Tassie look.
Renamed them the Titans, I reckon that works pretty good.

You thought this was dead, didn't you? Well you were wrong!
Claremont Tigers
More Tigers make it into Division 1, this time it's Claremont. The reason why Claremont and Glenelg are sponsored by Kellogg's is because I saw this footy card and thought it was Glenelg and it wasn't. Claremont can get away with no clash jumper because the blue would show up lighter than in this graphic.
upload_2017-4-11_14-14-34.png

This is probably one of the best portfolios in the history of this board.

Keep it up, Fizz.
I don't know, there's quite a few that stick out in my mind as better (AFL '99 is one of them) but thanks a lot dude, means a lot.

I don't know, there's quite a few that stick out in my mind as better (AFL '99 is one of them) but thanks a lot dude, means a lot.

It's the realism of yours though. Like these concepts are totally conceivable and era-accurate.

Hawthorn Hawks
Hawthorn was a powerhouse in the VFL, and they continued to be for many years. But the new league had no zoning and Hawthorn couldn't call dibs on certain players. Did they fare well from here? Only time will tell.
upload_2017-4-11_16-9-32.png

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
You thought this was dead, didn't you? Well you were wrong!
Claremont Tigers
More Tigers make it into Division 1, this time it's Claremont. The reason why Claremont and Glenelg are sponsored by Kellogg's is because I saw this footy card and thought it was Glenelg and it wasn't. Claremont can get away with no clash jumper because the blue would show up lighter than in this graphic.
View attachment 356393
This is f***** awesome!

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Division 2 Expansion
Sydney Swans
View attachment 316157
Tasmania Titans
View attachment 316165
Brisbane Rockets
View attachment 316166
Love the logo, top left.

Back