marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Whilst waiting for my coffee this morning I was flicking through the Herald Sun & read the stat that if Geelong were to lose this coming Friday they’d be the first team to be minor premier & go out in straight sets since the 1983 North Melbourne side.

Still a couple of years away from being born, I have no memories of this time, but would love to hear from any of you guys who do.

Obviously Ross won the Brownlow that year & I see the Krakouer brothers tied for our leading goal kicker with 44 each.

Would love to hear any stories or specific memories of games, players or that era in general. Did we deserve to finish top? Did we deserve to not win a final?

Whilst waiting for my coffee this morning I was flicking through the Herald Sun & read the stat that if Geelong were to lose this coming Friday they’d be the first team to be minor premier & go out in straight sets since the 1983 North Melbourne side.

Still a couple of years away from being born, I have no memories of this time, but would love to hear from any of you guys who do.

Obviously Ross won the Brownlow that year & I see the Krakouer brothers tied for our leading goal kicker with 44 each.

Would love to hear any stories or specific memories of games, players or that era in general. Did we deserve to finish top? Did we deserve to not win a final?

Lotta blokes coming to the end of their careers. Lotta blokes retiring end '83 or moved on. Two up and coming sides in Hawthorn & * rising. Can sum up the finals by Dermott debuting in a final v us and kicking 5 on Dench. Huge loss to * in prelim softened by them belting Pies the next year by even more.

Worrying signs in season when on top of the ladder we got a 150 belting from Fitzroy. But story goes club was riddled with flu.

Lotta blokes coming to the end of their careers. Lotta blokes retiring end '83 or moved on. Two up and coming sides in Hawthorn & * rising. Can sum up the finals by Dermott debuting in a final v us and kicking 5 on Dench. Huge loss to * in prelim softened by them belting Pies the next year by even more.

Worrying signs in season when on top of the ladder we got a 150 belting from Fitzroy. But story goes club was riddled with flu.
And to erase any doubt the team was cooked we came out in rd 1 84 and got flogged by Carlton bu 100+. Warren Ralph kicked 10.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Huge loss to * in prelim
The wheels had fallen off before the prelim (). There seemed to be som bad vibes coming off the entire team even though early in the season they were kicking cricket scores. But by the time finals came around, there was almost no excitement. They put up one quarter in the prelim - and that was the only gasp.

A year of crazy results. Check this lot out:

Some things I noted looking at those results.

All games played Saturday arvo at 2:10 - Like
Games at all the suburban venues - Like
All the teams listed by their names not their nicknames - Like
Not that I ever had any association with them - but Fitzroy in the finals - Like
Top 5 - the best finals system we've had - Like
Hawthorn winning the premiership - Dislike

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the old final 5 system as well so being the minor premier we got the first week off in the finals so while we were 'one two out' it was substantially different to todays final 8 system where 'one two out' means you don't get to a prelim.

That all said we were imposters that year - the two finals appearances plus the first game thrashing in 1984 to Carlton were about as bad a 3 game run you could have.

The good news is though a year later (1985) we have introduced some younger players and we knock Carlton off in the elimination final in one of our greatest non GF finals performances ever. :thumbsu:

That all said we were imposters that year

I didn't think so at the time but it was clear by 3/4 time in that prelim.

The good news is though a year later (1985) we have introduced some younger players and we knock Carlton off in the elimination final in one of our greatest non GF finals performances ever. :thumbsu:

It was a great day (and I was sitting with the umps who were baracking madly against North and giving my wife and I heaps - even though both of us were working with VFL umps in regular day jobs at the time). Made the win even sweeter, and set me on the anti-ump path that I maintain even today, despite the free umpire tickets we got.

Last edited:
I was at both finals as I lived within spitting distance of VFL park, loved the old girl. Anywho, I reckon injury played its part in our straight sets exit. This is of course from memory and looking back into the mind of a 15 year old. That's scary lol.
belted the Hawks at princess park and went down in the return match 12.18 90 V 15.7 97 :rolleyes:

I was at both finals as I lived within spitting distance of VFL park, loved the old girl. Anywho, I reckon injury played its part in our straight sets exit. This is of course from memory and looking back into the mind of a 15 year old. That's scary lol.
belted the Hawks at princess park and went down in the return match 12.18 90 V 15.7 97 :rolleyes:
I had this awful feeling at the time that things were not right late in the season. Rosco won the brownlow, but by late in the season he was doing some weird things like handballing to a stationay player who wasn't expecting it when lining up 40m out instead of taking the shot that he'd nail 80% of the time. It wasn't just once or twice that he did that either.

I will say that when we were slaughtered by Fitzroy, I saw Gary Wilson play an absolute blinder. It made me want to gouge my eyes out, but seriously, it was a sublime game.

I once walked past Gary Ablett Senior in the stairwell at VFL Park

He said ‘hi’

I said ‘hi’ back

Admission. I still blame Ross for our poor '78 GF.
Hawks had 3 goals in about first 3 minutes with l think his opponent Moncrieff nailing 2. Looked like he was asleep. Game ending injuries to Alves & Blight didn't help but we lost by 18 points.

I don’t know wat you are talking about, a bit like ninety eight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back