1986 State Of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentary at the start when they weren't able to cross to Cometti and Lou was pretty epic. Somehow they didn't seem to know any of the players from either team.

Gerard Healy was just given a drink by the waterboy from one of those three litre picnic flasks with the white cup that doubles as a lid...what is going on?!

It's fun watching a couple of Fox Sports commentators running around haha, especially BT. Dropped a sitter a couple of minutes ago, you can imagine if that was a player these days he'd give them an absolute roasting.

Didn't realise how long Cometti had been commentating for!

Victoria and the VFL have been so much stronger than the rest of Australia at the great game of football for its entire history dating back to the 1800s. I expect WA to cop an absolute pasting in this game.

Ahhhh, not quite. For mmost of the time yes, but that was why State of Origin was brought in in the first place. Things evened up considerably after the inception of SOO. Victoria of course still put some bloody formidable teams though and won their fair share.

If you go back to the late 50's South Fremantle were arguably the strongest club in Australia, played the best the VFL could have and beat them all (afaik).

Go back to the gold rush in WA and the goldfields league was the strongest league in Australia as many of the countries best players moved there to get work.

Things are not always so clear cut. However I think Victoria kicked ass in this series.....from memory.

edit: actually no, my memory was wrong. Classic match if it's against the sandgropers.

The 84' WA v Vic game was a better game. From memory, it was Ablett's first state game.

Macnish!!!!
First BIG game of footy I ever went to, Throughout the coverage can see 6/7 of me and my scaly mates (having wagged a day off high school!) on the outer side fence...Awesome game, awesome memories!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macnish!!!!
First BIG game of footy I ever went to, Throughout the coverage can see 6/7 of me and my scaly mates (having wagged a day off high school!) on the outer side fence...Awesome game, awesome memories!

Who didn't have the day off, looking back might as well made it a public holiday in Perth. I didn't need to wag though, my parents took me.

Victoria and the VFL have been so much stronger than the rest of Australia at the great game of football for its entire history dating back to the 1800s. I expect WA to cop an absolute pasting in this game.

Unless, like usual, most of the Vics took the week off. If only one team cares, the result is to be expected.

We obviously needed all the rule changes over the years. I mean look at all the unnecessary stoppages in this game.....oh wait....

:thumbsu:

For shame all the teams that have turned the game into a negative slugfest, the very concept of flooding makes me sick to the stomach....oh wait....

Really noticed this as well, turned into a bit of a w***er when he got caught up with his hype and started with the premeditated 'witty' one liners.

Yeah, noticed he's using them multiple times as well, noticed he used his 'No one's come to Batchelor, though I suppose with a name like that he likes being on his own!' again on the weekend after first using it against the Dogs. Bit lame. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back