Discussion 1988 - The best year for footy jumpers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
This video popped up on my Facebook feed the other day, whilst watching it I thought "Gee every jumper/uniform is perfect!"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=310673512390060&id=243076959149716

Mero take from footyjumpers.com
Screenshot_2015-11-10-13-34-19.png

Points of note:

Collingwood: Black stripes on white.
Footscray: Best version of red & white hoops IMO
Hawthorn: The year before they changed to those god awful yellow socks.
Sydney: Perfect version with the white back.
Eagles: Utilising both the Yellow & Blue version of the wings.

Note: Sorry couldn't embed video so have posted link.

Last edited:

2016 will be the best year in a long time.

Just waiting on the 2 newest teams, most specifically the Suns, to produce some quality designs.

The concepts delivered by The Cheesecake inspired by the new GC clash would be a good start. A unique blend of modern and traditional, much like the Suns themselves, footy guernsey designs.

GWS's isn't awful but there is just so much room for improvement.

u wot mate?

I should clarify that even though it's my fav WCE jumper I still would have removed the scribble eagle.

I guess I'm an uber traditionalist with jumpers. If your nan can't knit it, it shouldn't be on a footy field. I want bold, straight lines, none of that round wavey stuff.

Even monograms are a bit iffy imo. Norwood's jumper > Carlton's. The best version of the old Roy's-style jumper are the ones you see in local footy with just the blue yoke on maroon base. White numbers. Nothing on the chest.

Ports best jumper pre-Vs was the crooked tripanel. I was so stoked when they and Freo went to great, tradional jumpers from their previous horror efforts, then so bummed when GWS and GC in particular came up with such garbage.

TL;DR: #RejectTheWings

u wot mate?

I should clarify that even though it's my fav WCE jumper I still would have removed the scribble eagle.

I guess I'm an uber traditionalist with jumpers. If your nan can't knit it, it shouldn't be on a footy field. I want bold, straight lines, none of that round wavey stuff.

Even monograms are a bit iffy imo. Norwood's jumper > Carlton's. The best version of the old Roy's-style jumper are the ones you see in local footy with just the blue yoke on maroon base. White numbers. Nothing on the chest.

Ports best jumper pre-Vs was the crooked tripanel. I was so stoked when they and Freo went to great, tradional jumpers from their previous horror efforts, then so bummed when GWS and GC in particular came up with such garbage.

TL;DR: #RejectTheWings

Original wings were knitted on...

By your nan or a big industrial machine?

They were hand stitched guernseys, I'm pretty sure.

AFL went through it with the new vintage Merino Wool range they brought out. Obviously the remakes are machined but the originals I'm pretty sure were hand done- or at least can be.

They were hand stitched guernseys, I'm pretty sure.

AFL went through it with the new vintage Merino Wool range they brought out. Obviously the remakes are machined but the originals I'm pretty sure were hand done- or at least can be.

Not sure about the actual wings, they would likely have been machined, but the eagle head and text were likely done by hand, as they all look slightly different, and the positioning of the letters etc is different from jumper to jumper. See in my avatar, the "G" is slightly higher than all the other letters, a machine, you would hope, wouldn't stuff something like that up!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about the actual wings, they would likely have been machined, but the eagle head and text were likely done by hand, as they all look slightly different, and the positioning of the letters etc is different from jumper to jumper. See in my avatar, the "G" is slightly higher than all the other letters, a machine, you would hope, wouldn't stuff something like that up!!

On a lot of the original guernseys though, a lot of the wings weren't 100% even, I've noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back