Yippyio

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2001
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong 3.3 9.5 15.10 16.16.(112)
Fitzroy 2.4 7.7 11.10 17.12.(114)
Goals:Fitzroy-Wheildon 4, Marcou 3, Scott Trewella Conlan 2, Dilena G.Osborne Thornton Woods.
Best:Fitzroy-Ironmonger G.Osborne THornton Bolzon Marcou Woods

I just watched my replay of this game again and it was a terrific win for us.Lupson, Wheildon, Waterson, Bolzon all went the player in the third quarter and Geelong went to a 39 point lead before late goals before 3 quarter time reduced the deficit. The last quarter the Roys fought there way back and a goal from Woods with 3 minutes to go put us in front.
Then the Flying Doctor Darren Wheildon took 2 marks in the dying minutes and kicked both of them on the full before Geelongs Paul Brown took a mark 10 metres out from goal on a slight angle and with 30 seconds on the clock and 3 points down he hit the post, we cleared the ball out and we won.
Just a question on this game to see if anyone knows exactly how many weeks our players got suspended for after this game??
Just thought someone might remember!!

I think they all copped some time, Wheildon was certainly suspended, from memory, and I believe Lupson and Bolzon were also rubbed out. Mark Scott may have escaped the tribunal's eye.

Like they cared
biggrin.gif

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

I've watched that Reserves grand final win many times, and the thought that always comes back to me, why did Andrew Marcou never play seniors for Fitzroy? He looked a likely player in that game, does anyone know why he never took the next step like his big brother (sic) Alex?

Cheers,
FitzroyRamone

I was having trouble selecting which old '1989' thread to put this in, but I thought it might as well be this one.

There is an article on the Lions website about the recent reunion held for the 1989 Fitzroy Reserves premiership team by the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-05-13/fitzroys-reserves-reunite

It is well worth a read.

I was fairly young at the time, but I remember watching the reserves grand final on T.V. and loving the fact Fitzroy had won a premiership (even if it was the reserves).

Copies of the grand final may or may not be available on 'non-offical' DVD from a certain shop in Mordialloc for those that are interested.

I was lucky enough to be there on the day. I think I leapt my own height when Brown hit the post at the death. The seniors Grand Final was a real let-down afterwards. ;)

Me too, behind the goals city end. Me and the old man got there pretty early in the the U/19's game and we got absolutely cooked being in that hot sun all day.

The memories...

Blast from the Past
6 June 2013

After a glittering career with Fitzroy that spanned 13 years, what are your fondest memories from your time with the Club?
I was probably very fortunate to come into the Club at a time we were just on the rise.

In those days Fitzroy probably had one of the best high performance centres, as we call them now, in the League and the Junction Oval had the best playing surface. The fitness centre was fantastic – we had amenities around Albert Park and an abundance of ovals and all had fantastic facilities.

Throughout my 13 years I truly felt we could win the flag in probably nine of those. We used to run down the race thinking we could beat any team.

I played in nine finals with Fitzroy, a Night Grand Final in 1978, and finished off in 1989 with a reserve grade premiership.

1989 was an amazing story. We won three games in a row at Waverley to get into the Grand Final. The first was a really tough game against Footscray, which was followed by an even tougher game against Essendon who everyone thought were a better side than us. Then we went in as underdogs against Carlton and really took them by storm and knocked them over to get into the Grand Final. So we actually had a really long journey and played it really hard.

It was the last premiership that Fitzroy ever won, and having been at Fitzroy for the 13 years, it was pretty unique that about 5-6 – including guys like Mark Scott, Leon Harris, and Ross Thornton - who had come through together retired after that game.

It was also a very unique and amazing feeling to be able play your last game in front of nearly 100,000 people at the MCG and to hold the trophy at the end.

That 1989 Reserves Grand Final between Fitzroy and Geelong is well-known for the brawl that broke out after half-time. Did you play any role in facilitating that?

Definitely not. At that stage of my career, being 31 years of age, I was well beyond that. When it did start to happen, I actually started to feel a bit sorry for the guys that were getting hit. A couple of our players did turn quite aggressive on them, and it certainly changed the game.

I cringed a little bit. A couple of the punches that were thrown I think sent a bit of a shock through the Geelong and it certainly turned on some aggressive and sparked some enthusiasm among the rest of the players. Fortunately after that, we went on to play football.

Which of your Fitzroy teammates at the time did you most look up to?

Laurie Serafini sort of took me under his wing, because he only lived about 200 metres away. In actual fact, Laurie drove me from Preston down to Moorabbin in his EJ Holden Station for my second game. I had been picked to play in the seconds on ‘Mad Dog’ Muir, so I had about an hour down in the car to think about this.

Laurie was certainly a great help to me, to the point where he also said, “look during the week you should take some time out – I need to take you to a really good menswear store so we can sharpen you up a bit”. I was from the country and he said “if you’re going to come out with me you need to look good”.

The first thing Laurie did when we went into the menswear store was get a new pair of pants and a nice body-fitting type shirt and a pair of shoes from Aquila. I’ll never forget going out with him after playing St Kilda one Saturday night, and of course it was a disco and had the silver balls and everything.

I didn’t know anybody, of course, having been in Melbourne for only a couple of weeks and Laurie seemed to know everyone in the room. I thought ‘how do they know this bloke? He’s only played under 19s and a couple games in reserves’.

I then found out later why they knew him so well. It was because when he got on the dance floor, he was like John Travolta!

After about six months, Garry Wilson said “listen, if you want to be a League footballer, you and Laurie need to pull your heads in, be in bed earlier, focus more on your football and stop focusing on the girls”. That was good advice from Garry, so I had very good mentors.

BFTP_Conlan-hero.jpg

The sooner Tank is appointed CEO of the Brisbane Lions the better IMO, doing so may restore the damage the previous and current Brisbane Lions administration have done to every single element of the merger agreement, not to mention to ensure the Fitzroy Football Club legacy forever lives on.

Dean Lupson... absolutely piss myself laughing whenever l hear that name. Have watched that replay about 20 times and him and Doc were walking around hitting blokes as if no one was watching them. Too funny. :thumbsu:

I’ve known Lupo since we were kids . A good guy .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back